Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: FAI Cup 2018

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Hi all,
    I've 2 tickets for the cup final in the middle of the premium section of the east stand but can't make it on Sunday now.
    I see they cost €30 each now on ticketmaster, but i bought them for the early bird price of €10 each. I'll let them go for the price i bought 'em.
    If anyone is interested just message me.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    To give Caulfield his fair dues, he is probably right about Dundalk signing players they 'don't really need'

According to journo James Rogers, Dundalk have used 25 players over their league and cup campaign - anything above that clearly not needed

(Cork, on the other hand, have been more prudent in using 30 of the players signed to the club)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    And so Cup final week begins. The complete lack of media attention and buzz isn't surprising, but we could certainly do with something to spark it a bit. Will have to be something more creative than that first effort though. A good player rumour or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    And so Cup final week begins. The complete lack of media attention and buzz isn't surprising, but we could certainly do with something to spark it a bit. Will have to be something more creative than that first effort though. A good player rumour or something.
    Agreed we need something and better than that. He just listed a load of things Cork have done and levelled them at Dundalk, very lazy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Cork to win 7 - 0 against 8 man Filthy Dundalk team of Brawlers...With worst discipline in Cup final History.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    But he says he is not looking at what other clubs do so he wouldnt really be that clued in, especially at the Dublin market. I'm at a loss as to why every player dont just sign for Cork for nothing, everywhere else is not Cork so how can other clubs compete at all. Pre-contract signings to be announced any time soon....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I'm with you Nesta. I don't understand it either. I think the problem is they haven't experienced Cork. Once they do, they swear off going elsewhere in Ireland, the sensible ones anyway, a la Steven Beattie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Kenny back on the 'the better team lost' last year train again. Good man Stephen, why stray from the favourites. Also, it's not their fault the games of low scoring! How could anyone blame them for not scoring more. Its our fault, for not just letting them score!

Silly season is truly back with a bang for the week.

Easy for the club to have 2 statements prepared in advance of the game so they're sorted either way. 'we won, yay' or 'we lost but we wrre the better team. Its not fair'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Kenny back on the 'the better team lost' last year train again. Good man Stephen, why stray from the favourites. Also, it's not their fault the games of low scoring! How could anyone blame them for not scoring more. Its our fault, for not just letting them score!

Silly season is truly back with a bang for the week.

Easy for the club to have 2 statements prepared in advance of the game so they're sorted either way. 'we won, yay' or 'we lost but we wrre the better team. Its not fair'.
    Yeah but you lads just hoof the ball all day long......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    I'm with you Nesta. I don't understand it either. I think the problem is they haven't experienced Cork. Once they do, they swear off going elsewhere in Ireland, the sensible ones anyway, a la Steven Beattie.
    Actually there are very strong rumours linking Beattie with a move to Dundalk. Apparently he wants to move back home due to family commitments and no amount of money from Cork would make him change his mind. Now we don't actually need him but because of that and the fact that he is a Dub we have to sign him. He's expected to get a lift home in the Dundalk team bus after the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I thought Stephen Kenny's comments were fair and measured when talking about why he thinks many neutrals are not enthused about another Dundalk v Cork final. He identified Corks style of play as being a factor. Even most Cork fans acknowledge that Caulfields style is hard on the eye and is primarily about containment

He could easily have taken the bait provided by JC in relation to 'unnecessary signings' and 'monopolising the Dublin market', and ridicule him for his nonsensical comments, but chose to keep his powder dry

He may be less restrained in his comments on Sunday evening

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Ha, If Stephen Kenny called punched an old lady you'd say it's 'fair and measured' Ezekial. Kenny is giving out about our style because we don't bend over and take it.

Someone over on our forum mentioned that we've had 15 players in our squad this year who came through our youth system. There's no denying they cost less than lads coming from elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CityBoy View Post
    Ha, If Stephen Kenny called punched an old lady you'd say it's 'fair and measured' Ezekial. Kenny is giving out about our style because we don't bend over and take it.
    I disagree that Stephen Kenny was 'giving out' about the Cork style in his press conference; it was more a case of him identifying it as being one of the reasons for neutrals not being enthused by another final between Dundalk and Cork.

In point of fact, he complimented the work rate of the Cork team and highlighted that it was difficult to overcome:

"But you have to earn it. Cork won't hand it to you. They don't give you a minute in possession and you have to absolutely earn everything."

Quote Originally Posted by CityBoy View Post

Someone over on our forum mentioned that we've had 15 players in our squad this year who came through our youth system. There's no denying they cost less than lads coming from elsewhere.
    I really have no idea how this fits in with the comments of either manager this week; although maybe you simply wish to highlight that Cork's budget is less than Dundalk's. That will be of little consolation if Cork end up as double runners-up this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Stephen Kenny wasn't giving out about corks playing style just identifying cork as the reason the finals are so boring.....what could be more fair and measured than that... . I remember when we won the 4 in a row we didn't swoon at every utterance from mclouglin then...I blame sky sports.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Actually there are very strong rumours linking Beattie with a move to Dundalk. Apparently he wants to move back home due to family commitments and no amount of money from Cork would make him change his mind. Now we don't actually need him but because of that and the fact that he is a Dub we have to sign him. He's expected to get a lift home in the Dundalk team bus after the game.
    This would be more believable if you picked literally any other player. Zero chance of it.

Ah yes 'fair and measured'. It's our fault ye don't score more. Well, yes Stephen. That is in fact half of the point of football. Stopping the opposition from scoring. Saying its not your fault you don't score more in those games is deflection and utter rubbish. Don't blame the opposition for your deficiencies in breaking them down.

The scrappy goal nonsense, measured? Better team lost? Measured?

It's not the best of wind up attempts, but pretending he wasn't looking to have a dig is nonsense.
    Last edited by micls; 31/10/2018 at 7:47 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I remember when we won the 4 in a row we didn't swoon at every utterance from mclouglin then...I blame sky sports.
    Jim McLaughlin was a phenomenally successful manager and his 3-in-a-row titles in the 1980's are justifiably lauded by Rovers fans, both then and now. He too tended to be fairly measured and understated in his ways. I am just not so sure that the description extended to the Milltown fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Ah yes 'fair and measured'. It's our fault ye don't score more. Well, yes Stephen. That is in fact half of the point of football. Stopping the opposition from scoring. Saying its not your fault you don't score more in those games is deflection and utter rubbish. Don't blame the opposition for your deficiencies in breaking them down.
    If that is your interpretation of what he said, you should really re-check your comprehension faculties.

Here is another direct quote for you to mangle

"We've set out to play. They've had a game-plan to sort of stifle and try and keep it tight,"

If you think this is unreasonable observation, by all means say so. But please spare so the invented nonsense about 'fault' and 'blame'

His post match comments on Sunday may, however, be more interesting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Jim McLaughlin was a phenomenally successful manager and his 3-in-a-row titles in the 1980's are justifiably lauded by Rovers fans, both then and now. He too tended to be fairly measured and understated in his ways. I am just not so sure that the description extended to the Milltown fans
    The difference was when jim talked crap (which he did) the natural default of most rovers fans was to laugh and say "that's jim for you" not jim is a fair and measured genius that can do no wrong ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If that is your interpretation of what he said, you should really re-check your comprehension faculties.

Here is another direct quote for you to mangle

"We've set out to play. They've had a game-plan to sort of stifle and try and keep it tight,"

If you think this is unreasonable observation, by all means say so. But please spare so the invented nonsense about 'fault' and 'blame'

His post match comments on Sunday may, however, be more interesting

You can take up your issues with the 'invented blame' with the person who actually wrote the article and presumably got that impression from the interview.

It's not my interpretation, it's that of the author.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    I'm surprised at you micls, don't you realise saint Kenny has never made a statement that wasn't the modern equivalent of the tablets on which the ten commandments were written. To be fair Einstein wasn't considered a genius by the locals

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast