Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: LOI fixtures - 16th to 19th March 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    How reliant are Harps on the two O’Connors?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Market's Field View Post
    I'm not going to fall into the trap of having an argument with you - I've seen some of the other threads 

My point was that we are missing 7 of our most experienced players from an already small squad so it is easy to label us as limited. And ye created almost nothing from open play in the game.
    i never said you were limited, just that we deserved the win, fair enough about being short of players there is enough quality in Limerick to make the talk of relegation at the begining of the season look far fetched.
    Tommy Barret looks like a good appointment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    How reliant are Harps on the two O’Connors?
    Thankfully, not too much.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Thankfully, not too much.
    Just as well.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I'd not say reliant on them but they're definitely big players for us.
    Both have been excellent this season.
    Wouldn't go getting worked up over last night just yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    What happened last night?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    I would've felt guilty if we'd managed to get a point! It was Richard Dunne v Russia stuff for a lot of the game. We've already exceeded expectations for our current points tally (I'd have been delighted with 8 so far) so if we'd taken a point there with so many missing, it'd have been taking the mick!

Have to say Dundalk were excellent. Great standard of football even if they weren't at their best. A lot better than Cork were against us and I'd be inclined to give them the nod over Cork just about as title favourites. Duffy was killing Kavanagh down the left and that's where the goal came from (poor Garry Comerford was in bits after conceding it). Rory Feely has been our find of the season at right back but he's going to be out for a few weeks. Vigouroux made a couple of exceptional saves. Browne and Webster were awesome, but we were under the cosh for most the game and not much we could do about it. Credit to Rennie for giving the Dundalk defence something different to think about by bringing on John Martin (a midfielder) up front and he did really well. We had one sub left, but two attackers and two kids left on the bench so we kind of had to sit tight even though Dean O'Halloran was out on his feet (he had moved from lone striker to right wing to help Kavanagh). Kenny Browne had a possible concussion at the end but had to stay on (not something I'm a fan of).

We've won four and lost two, but I don't think either defeat was a setback. Away to Dundalk and Cork, any points we get will be a massive bonus. The defeats would only have been a setback if we lost heavily in either. One dodgy thing is that Courtney Duffus missed the game despite being fit because he supposedly can't play on astro pitches after a hip injury - I'm taking it that it's part of his loan terms from Oldham (ironic for older fans!) so presumably he'll be out for Derry too. Hery and Akinade hadn't recovered from injuries and neither Keegan nor Aborah could do 90 on astro either so we were short-handed. On the plus side, Sander Puri looked back to his best. Apart from Feely, we should be back to full strength for Friday.
    It was some attacking display by Dundalk particularly in the second half, wave after wave, but to be fair Browne and Webster coped very well marshalling the defence, the goal disallowed from Hoban was the correct decision as he was def offside. Had a good chat with a few Waterford fans at HT, they seemed to be enjoying the start to the season ok ! No pressure now on Friday, to prevent Rovers going top !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Big slices of luck put us 2 up, deflection and a bizarre handball by the Bohs defender, but we deserved the win.

Soccer Republic's analysis was nonsense. McNulty had one easy save to make from a speculative shot from outside the box, and our defenders blocked another attempt, but other than that Bohs did nothing. Despite this the panel on SR show passages of 'Good Bohs Play' and yet slate our midfield and totally get the reason for the early Buckley sub wrong. He was sick all last week and hadn't recovered.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosshead View Post
    Big slices of luck put us 2 up, deflection and a bizarre handball by the Bohs defender, but we deserved the win.

Soccer Republic's analysis was nonsense. McNulty had one easy save to make from a speculative shot from outside the box, and our defenders blocked another attempt, but other than that Bohs did nothing. Despite this the panel on SR show passages of 'Good Bohs Play' and yet slate our midfield and totally get the reason for the early Buckley sub wrong. He was sick all last week and hadn't recovered.
    I often wonder about the editing for highlights for Soccer Republic. One example that stood out for me was when we beat Bohs 1-0 last year. In the second half, we could have had 3 or 4. Ogbene alone missed two great chances, Tosi missed another. But the only highlight they showed was a late Bohs chance, and then the analysis was about how Limerick had 'kept them out' or similar insights.

On a few other occasions, I've wondered if there is a hint of a 'make it look like a close game' narrative creeping in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I often wonder about the editing for highlights for Soccer Republic. One example that stood out for me was when we beat Bohs 1-0 last year. In the second half, we could have had 3 or 4. Ogbene alone missed two great chances, Tosi missed another. But the only highlight they showed was a late Bohs chance, and then the analysis was about how Limerick had 'kept them out' or similar insights.

On a few other occasions, I've wondered if there is a hint of a 'make it look like a close game' narrative creeping in.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I've often questioned what they chose to put in/leave out of the highlights, but this was really odd. JC had told reporters right after the game why he withdrew Buckley, and yet hours later the panel still went on about "uncertainty" as to who is in our midfield.

Our midfield is Morrissey, McCormack, and McNamee. JC said after the Limerick game that he'd rotate for Bohs, he chanced Buckley after his illness last week. Buckley wasn't at the races yet, so he came off.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rovers fans, would love to know what ye thought of Willy Fitz yesterday evening?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    the goal disallowed from Hoban was the correct decision as he was def offside.
    Maybe you are correct, but it did not seem that way to me at the time. While the TV footage is not absolutely conclusive it looks very much as Hoban came from an onside position behind Browne to tuck away the rebound off the keeper.
    See around 1.55mins onwards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZA354mRTo
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 20/03/2018 at 4:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Maybe you are correct, but it did not seem that way to me at the time. While the TV footage is not absolutely conclusive it looks very much as Hoban came from an onside position behind Browne to tuck away the rebound off the keeper.
    See around 1.55mins onwards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZA354mRTo
    Impossible to tell from that angle, but first thing Hoban does is to turn to look at the linesman after scoring, so he obviously thought it was a possibility it would be called. Didn't seem to argue either.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by da bishop View Post
    No doubt the pitch a problem however still does,n excuse the lack of chances created ,whatever about a young,inexperienced home team ,Rovers should be producing more.They only got the 3 pts due to rash reckless effort of Kelly who was hooked after it and needs to be benched anyway.TBF the players gave everything tonight and deserved more.Rovers dressingroom will have been buzzing after those 3 pts.
    Do you reckon there might be a link between your players giving everything and Rovers being restricted to long shots? Limerick dug in and tried to grind out a result and they did it very well. The very best teams like Dundalk of two years ago would still create a few chances but we're not at that level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Impossible to tell from that angle, but first thing Hoban does is to turn to look at the linesman after scoring, so he obviously thought it was a possibility it would be called. Didn't seem to argue either.
    I thought the Waterford right back might have played Hoban onside but its hard to see it in the video.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    The Athlone GK situation is weird. They can't play the U-19 keeper apparently? I wasn't aware of that regulation at all. And the third choice is working for the army?

Edited
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    The Athlone GK situation is weird. They can't play the U-19 keeper apparently? I wasn't aware of that regulation at all. And the third choice is working for the army?

Edited
    They hadn’t registered the U19s keeper to play for the first team by all accounts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    They hadn’t registered the U19s keeper to play for the first team by all accounts
    Shouldnt have to once a player is registered for the u-19 he suhould be available for the first team, it would encourage managers to try out promising players & allow for situations like Athlone.It has no draw backs imo , the FAI just want their registration fee.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Any reliable eye-witness views on the Sean Kavanagh red card in Limerick?

If I read it correctly it was a straight red card, although Bradser seems to suggest that everyone, including the ref, thought it was either "a little kick" or "nothing in it"

“I spoke to the ref and he said he had a little kick off the ball. I spoke to their player and our and there was nothing in it both of them said.
    “Hopefully the ref's report helps Sean out as he is not that type of player. I thought some of Sean’s passing was unbelievable in the first half.”
    It means that Kavanagh will miss Rovers third trip to Munster in a dozen days this coming Friday.
    http://www.extratime.ie/articles/205...dness-weather/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Any reliable eye-witness views on the Sean Kavanagh red card in Limerick?

If I read it correctly it was a straight red card, although Bradser seems to suggest that everyone, including the ref, thought it was either "a little kick" or "nothing in it"

http://www.extratime.ie/articles/205...dness-weather/
    I haven't actually heard anybody say it was a red card, even the Limerick commentary i was listening to thought it was Dennehy getting a second yellow. I haven't seen and footage of it myself yet though so could go either way. Even if it wasn't a red and it's rescinded the FAI's joke of a system means he'll miss waterford away anyway.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast