Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Obafemi F Burnley b.2000

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I suppose what might be more of a concern might be that he is talked into taking an England under 21 call up, plays for them at that level, probably isn't good enough to play for them at senior level, but is then ineligible for us after he switches.
    Is he not running out of time for that? He's 22 in July - does he have time to process the change of nationality paperwork and get a call-up and a game for England's 21s? Their next games are in June. I'm not sure what the cut-off is in terms of eligibility dates, though they had some players who turned 22 in Jan in their last squads.

But I could see an agent telling him how great he is and how he could definitely be a senior England international in the next three years and would he not hold off on Ireland until then. I'm sure it'd be worth more money if it came to pass, which is usually all agents think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    You've touched on what our inner fears really are. .. does he refuse a call up in June to rest his legs ... it would be insane to tolerate that and continue to entertainment him.
    The real fear here is he's genuinely injured come June...and so the random foot.ie speculation continues unabated for another three months
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 07/04/2022 at 4:28 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Probably not the right thread and I don't want to add fuel to the fire but did anyone see the news re Jack Grealish during the week? 7 figure deal with Gucci he signed. Himself and his advisors are laughing all the way to the bank on that call.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I have no memory of Ogbene saying that he wanted to play for Nigeria. Goes to show how fickle these things can be. I'm sure at the time there were plenty of fellas online saying that he should never play for Ireland if thats how he felt etc

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is he not running out of time for that? He's 22 in July - does he have time to process the change of nationality paperwork and get a call-up and a game for England's 21s? Their next games are in June. I'm not sure what the cut-off is in terms of eligibility dates, though they had some players who turned 22 in Jan in their last squads.

But I could see an agent telling him how great he is and how he could definitely be a senior England international in the next three years and would he not hold off on Ireland until then. I'm sure it'd be worth more money if it came to pass, which is usually all agents think about.

The real fear here is he's genuinely injured come June...and so the random foot.ie speculation continues unabated for another three months
    That's not how Under 21 eligibility works. He was born after 1/1/2000 so he's Under 21 eligible for the whole of this campaign, including the finals tournament - which doesn't take place until summer 2023 and which England are highly likely to qualify for.

So plenty of time for him to make that switch if he wanted to.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Fair enough - that's a lot longer than I thought

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I have no memory of Ogbene saying that he wanted to play for Nigeria. Goes to show how fickle these things can be. I'm sure at the time there were plenty of fellas online saying that he should never play for Ireland if thats how he felt etc
    Was about four years ago and a few months after he joined Brentford and couldn't get a game for them. Doubt anyone cared at the time and thought he'd have been back in the LOI in the following summer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    He said it would be an honour to play for either given the chance but that his first love would be Nigeria as he carried his dreams of playing for them when he left in 2005.

https://www.the42.ie/chiedozie-ogben...34042-May2018/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fair enough - that's a lot longer than I thought
    Incidentally there's an Under 23 Africa Cup of Nations next year as well. Although Obafemi would be underage and therefore eligible to represent England in the Euro Under 21 finals he would actually be overage and therefore ineligible to represent Nigeria in that Under 23 competition the same year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Lovely move and finish from Obafemi. Hamstring looks perfect.

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Has put a good shift in so far closing down defenders and won the penalty for Swansea's second. Though was probably more sloppy from the Reading defender rather than Obafemi being clever in winning it. Himself and Piroe are developing a good partnership.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Has played 446mins since the international break, which includes a 180mins this long weekend alone. Would be higher than 446mjns as it doesn't include added time and today's game went into the 97th minute. Should have no excuses for not showing up in June.

Finished 4-4 and will be kicking himself he didn't score a second when they were 4-3 up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Would it be if he hadnt taken the International break off though????

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    I think it'll be absolutely criminal if Obafemi is not called up for the squad in June. We've four games in the space of 12 days so I'd be calling up a squad of 30 players who should be the basis of the Euro qualifiers starting next year. Perfect time to integrate players as part of a big group

Obafemi will be 24 in June 2024, when we hope we'll be at the Euros in Germany, close to his peak as a striker. Get him in in June, and see how he does. All the talk of Parrot (who I think will also turn out to be a great player for Ireland btw), but the reality is, Obafemi is currently playing at a higher level.. and is scoring more.

Obafemi has 10 goals and 1 assist in 28 Championship games

Callum Robinson has 7 goals and 8 assists in 40 games..

There's a very strong case to be made for saying Obafemi is currently our best performing striker.. no way should we be bringing in League 1 strikers ahead of him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    I think it'll be absolutely criminal if Obafemi is not called up for the squad in June. We've four games in the space of 12 days so I'd be calling up a squad of 30 players who should be the basis of the Euro qualifiers starting next year. Perfect time to integrate players as part of a big group

Obafemi will be 24 in June 2024, when we hope we'll be at the Euros in Germany, close to his peak as a striker. Get him in in June, and see how he does. All the talk of Parrot (who I think will also turn out to be a great player for Ireland btw), but the reality is, Obafemi is currently playing at a higher level.. and is scoring more.

There's a very strong case to be made for saying Obafemi is currently our best performing striker.. no way should we be bringing in League 1 strikers ahead of him.
    It's not about him been called up though its about him accepting the callup. He didn't accept the call up a few weeks ago due to hamstring concerns so hopefully he will now. He certainly looks like he will give us a good attacking option given how limited we are at present in attack.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    It's not about him been called up though its about him accepting the callup. He didn't accept the call up a few weeks ago due to hamstring concerns so hopefully he will now. He certainly looks like he will give us a good attacking option given how limited we are at present in attack.
    This is it exactly, he will be called up if he makes himself available. If he doesnt it'll cause a sh1t storm

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post

You been keeping up at all ? He's just turned down a call up using an increasingly flaky looking hamstring story. Im 100% if he isn't called up, it'll have been because he didn't want it.

Im also cautiously optimistic he'll join in.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Another really nice goal. I’m optimistic he will be playing with Ireland again in the summer

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    9 goals in 15 games for Obafemi, 6 in 9 for Parrott, 2 in consecutive games for Odubeko - things are starting to look promising again in the young strikers' department

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Scores his 11th of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Where does he play in the front three for us? Whose spot does he take? From the bits of Swansea I’ve seen recently, he’s definitely playing centrally, almost as a 9, with Piroe in the more 10 position. Physically and stylistically, he doesn’t seem to fit the preferred Kenny mould for a central striker and I could see him being pushed to the left or right of our front three… what do others think?

Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast