Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worst ever Irish band?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie
    ...which dovetails nicely with your thinking Sultans of Ping deserve to be named amongst the worst Irish bands.

I dunno if you're a WUM but I suspect you're a glue-sniffer -and a MOR/AOR lovin' gluesniffer at that

Oh yeah all those classic lyrics and songs will live long in the memory

Sorry but seeing as I'm not an internet nerd, I haven't a clue what your MOR/AOR means and don't really give a shíte either to be honest

Keep to the glue sniffing yourself , obviously helps to appreciate stuff like Where's me Jumper...

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne
    What kind of a stupid statement is that?
    The Doc's are one of Ireland's finest
    S'pose you Galway boys are just as touchy about your own as us Cork boys.
    But in all fairness like, they are nothing more than a novelty band.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aslan with their endless regurgitating of that mediocre, tuneless piece of sh*t that constitutes their hit, or is it their entire output?
    "it's all right" me boll*x......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse

Sorry but seeing as I'm not an internet nerd, I haven't a clue what your MOR/AOR means and don't really give a shíte either to be honest
    I'm reluctant to get into a fight about music and especially classic lyrics with a self confessed Corrs fan but there's nothing internet nerdy about MOR or AOR. I'm suprised you're not well appraised with both.
    MOR = M.iddle O.f the R.oad
    AOR = A.dult O.rientated R.ock

Oh yeah all those classic lyrics and songs will live long in the memory Keep to the glue sniffing yourself , obviously helps to appreciate stuff like Where's me Jumper...
    They certainly will. ...and why is it when people bring up the Sultans the only song mentioned is the classic three chord trick that is Where's Me Jumper. Not only was it not their biggest seller (and things like unit shifting tend to matter to Corrs fans in my experience) -it wasn't even their second biggest seller. (Veronica and U Talk 2 Much both sold more/higher chart positions etc...)

two bands -the Corrs and the Sultans -one decided to plough their own furough - one decided to immitate whatever was selling on the CMTV charts. Which is which?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    The Saw Doctors, still heaping shame and embarrassment upon the nation.

With all time classics like the N17 and Joyce Country Ceili Band

They put Tuam on the map...

Best Irish band of all time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm reluctant to get into a fight about music and especially classic lyrics with a self confessed Corrs fan

Since when does "I don't think they're too bad" make me a self confessed fan . I think porridge is ok too but I don't go out and buy boxes of the stuff.

Enjoy whatever you're into mate, the Sultans wouldn't be on many people's all time greats list despite what you may think. I'd say outside of Cork itself the vast majority wouldn't have even heard of them (other than hippies and university grads who thought it was all the rage at the time to be into them because they were "different" and feel some strange need now to defend them as if they're legends ).

But hey...each to their own as they say.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    How has no-one mentioned "Who's Eddie"

Picturehouse were (are?) pretty desperate too.

Going into the mists of time, there was Gina Dale Hayes And the Champions, Tweed (latterly The Whole Shebang, I believe) and Two's Company.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    bewitched!
    I'm failing to see why the debate needed to continue after this.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Since when does "I don't think they're too bad" make me a self confessed fan . I think porridge is ok too but I don't go out and buy boxes of the stuff.....
    Fair enough -my bad.

Enjoy whatever you're into mate, the Sultans wouldn't be on many people's all time greats list despite what you may think.
    But this topic isn't about all time greats ...it's about worst ever. That's where I believe you're doing them a disservice ...to the benefit of some much more deserving candidates- someone just mentioned Who's Eddy for example...

I'd say outside of Cork itself the vast majority wouldn't have even heard of them (other than hippies and university grads who thought it was all the rage at the time to be into them because they were "different" and feel some strange need now to defend them as if they're legends ...
    Now you have me suspecting again that you're on the Glue. The band had a huge following in Ireland and Britain. They never got the "big breakthrough" -that's true. But they cracked the UK top 30 and had three top 10 singles here in Ireland -so they were hardly unknown outside Cork. They probably suffered from a "novelty act" tag which can be hard to shake -but I suspect they could've rode it out. defend them as if they're legends? No need to defend them on anything ...and yes -they ARE legends
    But hey...each to their own as they say.....
    once again -fair enough
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The band had a huge following in Ireland and Britain. They never got the "big breakthrough" -that's true. But they cracked the UK top 30 and had three top 10 singles here in Ireland -so they were hardly unknown outside Cork.

A "huge" following!? Considering you can get into the UK top 30 and I suspect the Irish top 10 with a couple of thousand sales, now I'd hardly call that huge.

They maybe had a loyal following but I don't think you can call it a big fan base.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    They maybe had a loyal following but I don't think you can call it a big fan base.
    I do believe they were "Big in Japan".
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    A "huge" following!? Considering you can get into the UK top 30 and I suspect the Irish top 10 with a couple of thousand sales, now I'd hardly call that huge.

Okay we're into the semantics of looking for an agreed definition of "huge" now so I'll avoid the use of the term and instead say "considerable".

Would you then agree that The Frames, purely for example and illustrative purposes, have a "considerable" following or fan base and would be known outside their own home town? Well Glen and the boys can probably match the Sultans three Irish top 10 singles (well they do have about 10 years more to play with) -but would have to fold when the Sultans raised them a UK top 30 single.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Okay we're into the semantics of looking for an agreed definition of "huge" now so I'll avoid the use of the term and instead say "considerable".

"Huge" to me would be a massive band i.e. U2. If you class the Sultans as having a "huge" following then U2 would have to astronomical!!

I don't think I'd even call it considerable but definately fiercely loyal as you're proving

A couple of top 30 hits doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things.....jaysus the Cheeky Girls can top that one

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Rev's - Utter ****e

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    "Huge" to me would be a massive band i.e. U2. If you class the Sultans as having a "huge" following then U2 would have to astronomical!!

I don't think I'd even call it considerable but definately fiercely loyal as you're proving

A couple of top 30 hits doesn't really amount to much in the grand scheme of things.....jaysus the Cheeky Girls can top that one
    aye but the cheeky girls probably didn't write the tunes. You don't have to have a massive seller to have a tidy earner for many years after.
    Wheres Me Jumper and Veronica still turn up fairly frequently on Irish compilations and on Irish Radio (Ironically -their biggest seller and highest chart placed record You Talk To Much doesn't ).
    Add to that the fact that they were bone fide stars in Japan (twice the size of UK) and that's a fair few royalty cheques coming in the door to this day. ...and the nineties revival can only be just around the corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    aye but the cheeky girls probably didn't write the tunes.

True, the Cheeky Girls can barely string a sentence together never mind write a song

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts
    declan nerney band
    the indians
    kaye twins
    in tua nua

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Anyone remember thre name of a group consisting two girls who made a vain atempt at rapping. One of them was Keith Duffy's sister.

They made bewitched look good
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish
    Anyone remember thre name of a group consisting two girls who made a vain atempt at rapping. One of them was Keith Duffy's sister.

They made bewitched look good
    the reynolds girls wasn't it?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    With all time classics like the N17 and Joyce Country Ceili Band

They put Tuam on the map...

Best Irish band of all time
    well said Although, I guess you wouldn't be as fond of "The green and red of mayo" Sawdoctors are a band I only started listening to a few years back, but they've quickly become one of my favourites. Equally can't believe that anyone would name the Sultans (a bit mad, but highly entertaining) or Ash (IMO, one of the best bands around) in this.

as for the worst- anything involving louis walsh, obviously, but the Corrs get my vote. pure unadulterated pap from start to finish. I nearly went on strike from the bar I worked in in Germany over them, if I ever hear that Unplugged album again....... sweet baby jesus and the orphans* Horrible wailing sellafieldian banshees the four of them

* prize for the first one to tell me where that came from (except ruairi)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast