Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1348

Thread: 2018 Transfers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    So they discuss players who are being let go or who they'd like to get rid of at the AGM?
    Probably not but you've got everyone involved in running the club in one room for a few hours so word is bound to spread about things like that

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Luke Byrne leaves Shamrock Rovers.
    Had to happen, lovely chap by all accounts but bar the 1st Season he was not at the races. All the best Luke,

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Jeez 4 months of this tripe lovely jubbly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    In fairness it’s a refreshing break from the Dundalk/Cork stuff

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Probably not but you've got everyone involved in running the club in one room for a few hours so word is bound to spread about things like that
    Any word on how the Rovers transfer delegation got on with meeting McEneff?

Shamrock Rovers step up Aaron McEneff pursuit but face stiff competition from English clubs
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...aaron-13481765

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    652 Posts
    I'm not interested until I hear the words centre forward , everything else is meh

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'm not interested until I hear the words centre forward , everything else is meh
    Centre forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    So laughing as something you know is wrong and pointing out just how wrong it is is defensive? As opposed to what? Letting everyone think its true? The loan isn't being paid off in one big chuck it is/will be a gradual process then if in the last year a perfect storm happens and we can't pay the last chuck a millionaire life long fan owns a minority share of the club, hardly a catastrophic thing to happen, not completely ideal but not too bad.
    That's fair enough, I took the manner in which the 'rumours' were knocked on the head to have sounded defensive rather than with contempt. If the loan is paid off gradually again that makes more sense than it cant be paid off early as additional funds become available. It is a lesson well learned in LoI that ye make hay when the sun shines and if a 1-1.5 million loan is on the club books and 2 players are sold in one season that could reap the guts of 1mil then it would be prudent imo to get ahead with repayments. My general tone of mistrust in investor/director like loans tend to have a knack of taking a pound of flesh with them, fans or not. In the past at Dundalk, and a contribution to how Oriel Park has stood still in the main for decades is that directors who helped bankroll the club then were quick to call in their financial assistance whenever the club did get a payday (Im thinking more 80s and 90s here). One big exception was Mr Nobby Quinn as the co-op was formed; as soon as his directors loan was offered to be paid back he resused and loan became benefacted money. Others were not so generous and gained more than they gave one way or another. There is no absolute trust with the current owners (yet) for me. Kelleher at St Pats I still think he hopes to recoup his investment if he can get Pats out of Richmond and build on it. So its not just an obsession with Rovers affairs that has me ask questions and consider what the angles are.

It's a tad blazé to have the attitude that if a loan isnt paid back then its not big deal as its only a minority share thats lost by supporters - that minority is 49%. I did misunderstand the system that would be involved where the 50% (or 51%) fan ownership would vote and decisions made as one rather than the traditional ways of shareholdings and I believed that any dissension by even 1 or 2% of the members shareholders would mean that the private 49% can call the shots including a hostile purchase of a majority shareholding. I still wouldnt like the fan owned model diluted and especially as the terms of the loan barred the club from clearing debt early if they were able to do so. If an interest free loan became available to Dundalk repayed over 10 years I would take it if it bult a new stand!! I wouldnt be worrying about it too much now myself but by 2027 we'd probably be gritting teeth at that significant debt outstanding.

I dont know why showing and interest in the affairs of other league clubs always gets labled as 'obsession'! Surely its par for the course, including the wind ups and trolling. It just happens that you have the likes of Stephen Bradley walk himself in to things like cup final comments that backfire and opposition fans pounce. Its nothing new that fans will claim to have great inside knowledge of other club workings, what players are paid and what budgets are. Its why we roll out us all having the 4th highest budget in the league. We also have the experience on foot.ie of blind foolishness ala supergretna in not seeing the wood for the trees at their clubs so skepticism is always in the back of the mind as i'm sure it is among LoI supporters on the Dundalk ownership. There will always be a double standard with football fans!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    That's fair enough, I took the manner in which the 'rumours' were knocked on the head to have sounded defensive rather than with contempt. If the loan is paid off gradually again that makes more sense than it cant be paid off early as additional funds become available.
    Well even if it can be paid off sooner, if you have an interest-free loan you're better off putting your money in the bank and paying it off on schedule. There's no benefit to getting ahead of an interest-free loan. Whether the money stays in the bank given what we know about LOI clubs is the question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Bohs for all the hype also finished a place lower this season than last, they'll have to arrest this downward trajectory to prevent themselves from being First Division bound...
    Concentrating on the Cup, sure in one away game we had to play the U19 team 😎

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Had to happen, lovely chap by all accounts but bar the 1st Season he was not at the races. All the best Luke,
    But...but he is one of the three best left fulls in the Premier division according to some on here 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    But...but he is one of the three best left fulls in the Premier division according to some on here 😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Obviously some couldn't make it to the agm

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    If you can genuinely say that Sean Kavanagh, Luke Byrne and Trevor Clarke aren't 3 of the best in the league you're either thick or deluded.

Now I know certain people here will need this spelling out for them so I think I'll get out in front of it. 3 of the best not the 3 best, there's a difference.
    ahem...... Just leave this here 🙄

1 of "3 of the best in the League" to surplus to requirements in a week. Makes you wonder who is "thick and deluded" 😎

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    If you can genuinely say that Sean Kavanagh, Luke Byrne and Trevor Clarke aren't 3 of the best in the league you're either thick or deluded.

Now I know certain people here will need this spelling out for them so I think I'll get out in front of it. 3 of the best not the 3 best, there's a difference.
    But...but he is one of the three best left fulls in the Premier division according to some on here 
    To borrow your line,
    ahem...... Just leave this here 
    1 of "3 of the best in the League" to surplus to requirements in a week. Makes you wonder who is "thick and deluded" 
    Nope, you've just answered that question pretty effectively all by yourself thanks

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    That's fair enough, I took the manner in which the 'rumours' were knocked on the head to have sounded defensive rather than with contempt. If the loan is paid off gradually again that makes more sense than it cant be paid off early as additional funds become available. It is a lesson well learned in LoI that ye make hay when the sun shines and if a 1-1.5 million loan is on the club books and 2 players are sold in one season that could reap the guts of 1mil then it would be prudent imo to get ahead with repayments. My general tone of mistrust in investor/director like loans tend to have a knack of taking a pound of flesh with them, fans or not. In the past at Dundalk, and a contribution to how Oriel Park has stood still in the main for decades is that directors who helped bankroll the club then were quick to call in their financial assistance whenever the club did get a payday (Im thinking more 80s and 90s here). One big exception was Mr Nobby Quinn as the co-op was formed; as soon as his directors loan was offered to be paid back he resused and loan became benefacted money. Others were not so generous and gained more than they gave one way or another. There is no absolute trust with the current owners (yet) for me. Kelleher at St Pats I still think he hopes to recoup his investment if he can get Pats out of Richmond and build on it. So its not just an obsession with Rovers affairs that has me ask questions and consider what the angles are.

It's a tad blazé to have the attitude that if a loan isnt paid back then its not big deal as its only a minority share thats lost by supporters - that minority is 49%. I did misunderstand the system that would be involved where the 50% (or 51%) fan ownership would vote and decisions made as one rather than the traditional ways of shareholdings and I believed that any dissension by even 1 or 2% of the members shareholders would mean that the private 49% can call the shots including a hostile purchase of a majority shareholding. I still wouldnt like the fan owned model diluted and especially as the terms of the loan barred the club from clearing debt early if they were able to do so. If an interest free loan became available to Dundalk repayed over 10 years I would take it if it bult a new stand!! I wouldnt be worrying about it too much now myself but by 2027 we'd probably be gritting teeth at that significant debt outstanding.

I dont know why showing and interest in the affairs of other league clubs always gets labled as 'obsession'! Surely its par for the course, including the wind ups and trolling. It just happens that you have the likes of Stephen Bradley walk himself in to things like cup final comments that backfire and opposition fans pounce. Its nothing new that fans will claim to have great inside knowledge of other club workings, what players are paid and what budgets are. Its why we roll out us all having the 4th highest budget in the league. We also have the experience on foot.ie of blind foolishness ala supergretna in not seeing the wood for the trees at their clubs so skepticism is always in the back of the mind as i'm sure it is among LoI supporters on the Dundalk ownership. There will always be a double standard with football fans!!
    I would share your mistrust if Ray didn't have history with the club of doing similar deals so on the basis of that I'm happy enough to trust him.
    Just a small thing re his minority share, as the loan is paid back his share is diluted too so the most his share can be is 50% if none of it is paid off then it gets smaller and smaller as payments are made.
    As for the repaying it as soon as possible, due to it being interest free there's two trains of thought, pay it off asap or in regular amounts and put the rest away in investments or bank it and get interest, probably very little but every little helps, so that its there so you can avoid taking out a loan with interest and earning something.

Taking an interest in other clubs affairs is normal and for the most part not obsession. For a few people on here though, mainly those of a black and red or lillywhite variety, it is very much an obsession.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Ah come on RH, you cant point the finger at others' posts when you have inadvertantly contradicted yourself. You didnt see Luke Byrne being released until he was, and you tagged him as one of the best left backs in the league which you would probably refrained from doing if you knew he was leaving. You'd have at least said that some club is getting one of the leagues top left back on his day when he is released, he needs a fresh start elsewhere.....or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Jesus lads, this is tiresome.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Ah come on RH, you cant point the finger at others' posts when you have inadvertantly contradicted yourself. You didnt see Luke Byrne being released until he was, and you tagged him as one of the best left backs in the league which you would probably refrained from doing if you knew he was leaving. You'd have at least said that some club is getting one of the leagues top left back on his day when he is released, he needs a fresh start elsewhere.....or something like that.
    And I still think he's a brilliant player but at the end of the day if the 2 lads stay relatively fit he won't get the game time he needs/deserves. I still think he's one of the best in the league and would have loved to keep him but the other two have it in versatility and slightly in quality so I can see why he was let go. I'm very happy to stand by my statement that he's one of the best around and any team in the league would be lucky to have him, just as I said it's an area of significant strength at Rovers just now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I would share your mistrust if Ray didn't have history with the club of doing similar deals so on the basis of that I'm happy enough to trust him.
    Just a small thing re his minority share, as the loan is paid back his share is diluted too so the most his share can be is 50% if none of it is paid off then it gets smaller and smaller as payments are made.
    As for the repaying it as soon as possible, due to it being interest free there's two trains of thought, pay it off asap or in regular amounts and put the rest away in investments or bank it and get interest, probably very little but every little helps, so that its there so you can avoid taking out a loan with interest and earning something.

Taking an interest in other clubs affairs is normal and for the most part not obsession. For a few people on here though, mainly those of a black and red or lillywhite variety, it is very much an obsession.
    All makes sense but it was said prior that the loan wouldnt/couldnt be paid off untill its due to be called in. The ability to pay that on a due date very much depended on the success of the how the loan was used and the discipline of not dipping in to the return on that in advance, if needed, of the day it needs repayment. Gradual repayment and relative reduction on the option on equity in the club sounds much more plausible!

So derby rivals in particular take a deeper interest in your club and you find that strange or obsessive? When Bohs were the Dublin side winning leagues there were a few Rovers fans 'obsessing' on here - you do remember mypost dont you? They were quite wide of the mark initially of the mess Bohs were getting themselves in to as fact was stranger than fiction in the end. If a club projects itself as a beacon for all clubs, the leader in new initiatives that are not rocket science albeit not necessarily done by other clubs here, when a manager is condescending to a rival and other clubs at times too, when memories are short and not recalling how blessed Rovers are to have Tallaght Stadium considering the mess the club made of that project while now often looking down the noses at other clubs well its gonna happen that your club will come in for some special attention from some. Id see it as a bit of a back handed compliment tbh especially for the leagues cup specialists with an almost like St Pats like aversion to winning the thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Jesus lads, this is tiresome.
    Go have a lie down then!

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast