621 Posts
    Well not too well but he is injured.
    Alan Quinn missed his penalty too

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    yeah his injury meant he couldnt dive on his right hand side, which meant all the Arsenal players had to do was pass it into that side he couldnt reach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great performance by Kenny. Had a sneaky feeling though going into the shootout that it was murphy's law that the brilliant kenny wouldn't come out on top. The fa cup is all about un-sung heroes and kenny was definetly one.

Must say as an Arsenal fan I was delighted for Almunia to finally get a bit of luck - still don't think he's a great keeper but a nice night for him none the less after all the usual tripe in the press.
    Foot.ie - NFL Fantasy Football Champion, 2006!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Only saw the game from 80mins onwards. Kenny made a few outstanding saves in that period alone and it was disappointing to see him struggle in the shoot out as a result of his injury, (Did the manager consider this? talk about reducing your chances of success by 50%??)

Quinn, didn't do too well when he came on, admittedly coming into that game cold, at such a frantic pace was difficult. However, despite having a fresh pair of legs he was unable to keep posession of the ball for more than a few seconds, he almost gifted Arsenal a winner in the last min of ET when needlessly giving the ball away in midfield (under no pressure at the time), then also missed his penalty, it wasn't a great half hour for the kid.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Thought Derek Geary had a great game once again. Although born and bred in Dublin, he played for Cherry Orchard, I don't think he even won an U21 cap.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Derek Geary looked a street ahead of anything Alan Maybury is capable of. He has real pace and the quality of his crossing was really good. I said this earlier but he really reminds me of Dave Langan.

Didn't Geary play left-back for Sheff Weds or am I imagining it?

Another top-class performance by Kenny. Thank God a decent no. 2 'keeper has emerged. He seems to have a great attitude too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlosIRL
    Must say as an Arsenal fan I was delighted for Almunia to finally get a bit of luck - still don't think he's a great keeper but a nice night for him none the less after all the usual tripe in the press.
    I don't think anybody was or is in any doubt about his shot stopping abilities. It's just his decision making that lets him down time and time again. Although he done well in the shoot out last night he made some woeful decisions about coming out for the ball.
    But yeah it was nice to see him get a bit of luck, it's just unfortunate that it was at the expense of Paddy Kenny and his team mates.

B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good Article by Neil Warnock in the BBC

Manchester United's exit from the Champions League to AC Milan is a huge blow for the club.

But over the last couple of seasons there is no doubt that goalkeeping errors have cost them.

Tim Howard's error in the latter stages of United's game with Porto last year cost them the tie.

And Roy Carroll's blunder in first leg against Milan was decisive.

It is soul destroying when this sort of thing happens and it gives the other team an unexpected lift - hardly the sort of thing you want to be handing to side of the calibre of Milan.

Sir Alex Ferguson always supports his players - as he should do - but that really hurt them.

You only have to look at Chelsea to realise the importance of the goalkeeper.

Petr Cech was outstanding against Barcelona and you can see the confidence the Chelsea lads have in him.

I don't think the defenders at United and Arsenal have the same level of confidence in their respective keepers and as a consequence they tend to defend a little deeper, which upsets the balance of the team.

If United get their keeper problems sorted out I think they will be in a good position to mount a serious challenge next season.

But buying a new keeper is not easy - look at the trouble United and Arsenal have had in replacing Peter Schmeichel and David Seaman.

I cannot believe that some of the top clubs are not looking at Paddy Kenny, our keeper at Sheffield United.

I hear the names of a lot of the keepers they are linked with and look at what they have got and I reckon they don't have to look very far for a capable keeper.

Kenny has been outstanding for us
    I haven't seen much better than Paddy, who reminds me of Dean Kiely.

Paddy replaced Dean at Bury when I was in charge there.

When I sold Dean to Charlton I told Alan Curbishley that his biggest strength is that he does not make many small errors and if you look at his record in the Premiership it is very good.

Paddy was outstanding in our two games against Arsenal - and he was injured in one of them.

Some players are prepared to be patched up and play through knocks, others are not.

Benitez baffled by Kewell setback

Harry Kewell at Liverpool sounds like one of those players who must be 100% fit to play.

I had a player a couple of years ago who thought he had flu if he sneezed in the morning.

As a manager you can get fed up with players constantly missing out with what you think are trivial injuries.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez seems to be questioning the amount of injuries Kewell suffers from.

If he thinks Kewell could have gone through the pain barrier for such a crucial game as that against Bayer Leverkusen he may well have a doubt in his mind.

If that happens it might be time to think about getting rid of the player and bringing someone else in.
    In Trap we trust

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've always been impressed with Geary, and AFAIK he did play left back at Shef Wed