Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Expectations for the season

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Expectations for the season

Seen this thread posted in the Longford forum, and in other places too. What do people expect from this season?

Personally I think we HAVE to win something this year. We've heard so much talk for the last 2 years, from Dolan in particular, now the time for talking is over. No ifs, no buts, no excuses- this club NEEDS a trophy.

League: 2nd, no more than 3 points off 1st at worst.
    FAI Cup: Would be nice to win it, but at least get thru a few rounds and go out to a half-decent team this time.
    League Cup: same as above, but slightly less important.
    Setanta Cup: will be very difficult to get out of the group, but the very least I'd expect is us to run the winners close, if not win it ourselves.
    Europe: depends on the draw obviously, but we have to get thru at least one round again, if not 2 or 3.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it's not often i agree with you but i think those predictions are about right. we really do need to win something this year alright
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    yeah, we've heard a lot of talk for the last 2 years. We've heard all about what we should be doing, and what we could be doing. Nows the time to show it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    League: 2nd, no more than 3 points off 1st at worst. Agree
    FAI Cup: We should set out to win this. At least show some interest.
    League Cup: Teams in Europe should be excluded from this.
    Setanta Cup: Get to the final and win it with a huge support behind us.
    Europe: depends on the draw obviously, but we have to get thru at least one round again, if not 2 or 3. Agree
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think you've got that just about right Éanna. This is the 3rd year of Dolans plan (if he said there was one ) and ideally City should be looking to claim the league but Shels upped the stakes with their signings at the end of the season so 2nd place a must with the FAI Cup in tow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    Shels upped the stakes with their signings at the end of the season

They can still only field XI players so we shouldn't focus on that too much.
    JO'F was a big loss for us for most of last season.
    We can win the league without beating Shels and therefore shouldn't worry about them before it starts.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I honestly don't think that Shels signings make a huge difference. We have enough to beat them, if we do things right.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd agree to an extent. The only advantage Shels have over us is the backup they have in their squad.

I'd play the U-21 in the FAI Cup and the League Cup. By that I mean no senior players at all unless they need the game coming back from injury.

Keep our 14/15 quality players for the league and UEFA/Setanta and give maximum effort to them
    Oh no not them again

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads,
    Would agree with most of the points above except the point about being able to win the league without beating Shels - although obviously possible in all likelihood we would at least need to break even with them ie get 4 pts from the 3 games or ideally better than that - last year showed us that our head to heads effectively cost us the title and with the way the draw has gone I think our head to heads will take on even more importance this time round.

Overall I'd agree that to end this season trophyless yet again would be very hard to take.

C'mon City
    Up she Flew!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by what biy!
    and finally win the munster senior cup!!!
    My God I hope we let someone else see the bloody thing!!! Its getting beyond a joke now, how many seasons in a row? 8?
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    League City to win it by 2 points.
    FAI Cup If not the league defentaly this.
    League Cup I'll take it if we have the chance of winning it. It would be better then winning nothing.
    Setanta Cup City have a good chance of winning this. If we get off to a winning start hopefully we can do it.
    Europe If we can get a team from a small country hopefully pass atleast one round of the Uefa Cup.
    Munster Cup City should just pull out of it. Give the MSL teams a chance of winning it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eanna, I have to say I think you got it totally wrong here my son.

League: Will probably avoid relegation on goal difference. A goal in the dying minutes of our last game at home to Derry (we always score in injury time against them) will give us the vital 1-1 draw to stay above $hel$ who are relegated along with UCD (yessssss).
    FAI Cup: 1st round draw doesn't suit us (away to Rockmount). Roy makes a return for his old club having signed up for the summer and kicks seven shades of $hit out of George and Colin T. City beaten 1-0 (Keane, J - 92mins)
    League Cup: Again, another away draw in the first round sees us play a rejuvinated Kerry District League who pack their team with GAA players and again, they hammer George and Colin T (who is only just back from life threatening injury from playing against Keano). 1-0 to the Kerrymen.
    Munster Senior Cup: Now we're talking serious competitions. City well up for this one. Unfortunately, having reached the Final against Queenstown, they are so confused to be playing against so many ex teammates that they give the ball away a total of 75 times during the game and end up loosing 4-0 (2 own goals by Dan Murray - where did we see that before?)
    Setanta Cup: Due to fixture pile up, City end up having to play 4 games in Dublin on the same night and don't have enough players (just) to send a team to Belfast to play Linfield in the Fianl and so, give a walk over. The do win 3 of the 4 games in Dublin, however- drawing the 4th against Rovers with just 3 players. Roddy goes mental saying we were too physical!!!!!!
    UEFA Cup: The cup we have least interest in (no way as glamerous as the Munster Senior Cup). We end up beating AC Milan in the final. Fixture pile up is unbelievable. Pat Dolan complains to UEFA saying these European Cities are too far away from the European Capital of Culture and refuses to play in the competion next year (as holders) unless all games are played at The Cross. City earn 8 million Euro for their troubles and end up buying every other player in the League, thus ensurng they actually win the Munster Senior Cup in 2006.

Now no one can claim I put the hex on our season.

C'mon City, roll on the 19th of March

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    League: I think absolute minimum of 3rd, since Shels are such strong favourites coming 2nd would be like winning league of its own. I wasn't in the RDS for last League win & wouldn't have been able to go to as many games then so next league win would be like payback for 15 years for me.
    FAI Cup: No prizes for 1/4 or semi finals. Make good showing & not lose to crap team. IMO FAI Cup just important for Europe.
    League Cup: Couldn't care less, Should definitely use to give bench & backup squad players a run out, Using u-21s would be a waste.
    Setanta Cup: Winning our group would like beating Shels in mini league which would do confidence a lot of good.
    Europe: Minimum getting through 1st qualifying round as no big teams there. After that its luck of the draw.

To have chance at winning league need luck with injuries & star players have to perform at peak. IF O'Flynn can return to even 80% of his best & Doyler can match last season we will have most dangerous (deadly pace) forwards in the league including shel$.

Overall expectation is qualification for CL or UEFA Cup for 2006 which would also include Setanta Cup.

thecorner
    League: To Have A Team.Manager And Chairman
    FAI Cup: To Have A Team.Manager And Chairman
    League Cup: To Have A Team.Manager And Chairman
    Setanta Cup: To Have A Team.Manager And Chairman

i know im asking for a lot but i dont think it is beyond our reach if we try hard

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corner - I think I'll revise my predictions in a previous thread and say I'd be happy with getting into the Munster Senior Cup Final now with all this bitching and arguing.

They all need to grow up.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Holy $hit, if the players don't come out of the "clear the air" meeting soon they'll miss the start of the season and well be dumped out on our ear .....and win nothing!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Counting Crow
    UEFA Cup: The cup we have least interest in (no way as glamerous as the Munster Senior Cup). We end up beating AC Milan in the final. Fixture pile up is unbelievable. Pat Dolan complains to UEFA saying these European Cities are too far away from the European Capital of Culture and refuses to play in the competion next year (as holders) unless all games are played at The Cross. City earn 8 million Euro for their troubles and end up buying every other player in the League, thus ensurng they actually win the Munster Senior Cup in 2006.

Now no one can claim I put the hex on our season.
    [/B]
    Well thats us f€cked for the UEFA Cup, thanks a lot ya l@nger!
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1. A manager we can all get behind.
    2. No threads with the title "^^^ Out", with the first word being the new manager's surname.
    3. Two wins out of three league games against Shels games, one of those at Tolka.
    4. Doyler called up for the Irish squad.
    5. Liverpool to play at the Cross in the culture cup thingy
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.