Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: What format should the Premier Division take?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 teams- 36 games

34 39.08%
  • 12 teams- 33 games

22 25.29%
  • 12 teams- 44 games

19 21.84%
  • Other- please state

12 13.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 team or 12 team league

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

10 team or 12 team league

Which should it be?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    all Ireland league 16 Teams
    30 Games.
    First Division Champions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Lightbulb

All-Ireland 16-team league 32 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller
    All-Ireland 16-team league 32 games.
    ......And play your self twice

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    18. Sure teams can struggle to get a 1st division every time. Might as well stick them all in the one division. Stick the others in some sort of regional divisions

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    10 team league kept everyone on their toes, and for the most part, kept the dross out.

12 team league would be ok if it was 4 rounds of games, but with the chasm in class between clubs like City and Shels Vs UCD and Bray, and mid Tablers like Waterford and SPA, the last 10-12 games could be very meaningless for many.

Though a 16 team All Ireland league would be nice.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    It does seem to be the best solution to the whole thing, it should keep most of the dross as you say out and keep the standard high enough so the league could realise any bit of ambition that it has. And it would be fair with 30 games, each team once, home and away and not team could be given the upper hand and there could be no claims that there is an agenda but anyone making out the fixtures.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb

Sure we'd all like a 16 team league or/and an All-Irelands League but at the moment neither are viable options.

IMO the Poll would be much more informative if just had the 1st 3 options.

People used to complain about the 10 team league creating an elite of dublin clubs when in fact the opposite has possibly happened.

The 10 team league has been the most competitive in my 15 years going to games. Longford were doing well at its creation but have gone on to win 2 FAI Cups & are a regular top half of league team
    Drogs used to be a yoyo side but are now on way to fulltime pro setup which I doubt many would have predicted a few years ago

On the otherhand Rovers & Pats are not serious competitors.

The 12 team league made clubs lazy just like fact that only 1 team was relegated last season saved Rovers & Pats from potential relegation or at least a playoff.

10 team league will re-introduce the traditional 12th place wipping-boy team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    11 teams, 4 rounds. 40 games.

For much the same reasons as pete plus an extra two games for the gates of each club, just to help it along.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    ... just like fact that only 1 team was relegated last season saved Rovers & Pats from potential relegation or at least a playoff.
    No Pete, the fact that we finished four points ahead of the second-from-bottom club saved us from a play-off.

The last time we were seriously at risk of a play-off was in the 2002/03 "transition" season, but then we made ourselves safe by ending a miserable run of one win in nine games with a victory. Against Cork.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    10 team league kept everyone on their toes, and for the most part, kept the dross out.

12 team league would be ok if it was 4 rounds of games, but with the chasm in class between clubs like City and Shels Vs UCD and Bray, and mid Tablers like Waterford and SPA, the last 10-12 games could be very meaningless for many.

All-Ireland 16-team league 32 games - Agreed.

I do believe UCD knocked City out of the cup last season What ever about us but UCD always give the better teams a tough time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, being realistic for now, a 16 team league is not going to happen in the short term, so lets concentrate on whats realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    People used to complain about the 10 team league creating an elite of dublin clubs when in fact the opposite has possibly happened.

The 10 team league has been the most competitive in my 15 years going to games. Longford were doing well at its creation but have gone on to win 2 FAI Cups & are a regular top half of league team
    Drogs used to be a yoyo side but are now on way to fulltime pro setup which I doubt many would have predicted a few years ago

On the otherhand Rovers & Pats are not serious competitors.

The 12 team league made clubs lazy just like fact that only 1 team was relegated last season saved Rovers & Pats from potential relegation or at least a playoff.
    Spot on.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Why such support for a 16-team league? 30 games is far too few, surely? Unless you're gong to throw in an extended cross-border cup or something. Even 33 is too few, I think.

I don't like the 10-team league. It alienates First Division clubs even more, and hinders their development more than anything. 12-team isn't perfect, but unfortunately, given the size of the country and the prominence of the GAA (which I quite enjoy, and I think it's something we should be proud of, unlike many here, so not knocking it) it's the best scenario at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The talk on Today Fm's Last Word this evening was optimistic that an All-Ireland league is in the pipeline. Things like the Derry-Linfield tomorrow and the Setanta cup are testing the water so to speak.

The fact is that a country the size of Ireland can't sustain so many pro soccer clubs. If we want a good premier division then the big clubs from Northern Ireland will have to take part in the long run.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Its unfair to vote on a 16 team league this year as it not an option.

For 2005 options are 10 or 12 team leagues.

I can't belive anyone thinks a 44 game series league is remotely possibly. Top clubs would have 50+ games excluding league Cup & a Euro & FAI Cup run could push to impossible 60.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    For the purposes of this I've gone 10 team league. The uneven home and away has always bugged me more than playing teams 4 times in the league ever has.

Going forward an 18 team All Ireland Premier Division would be my choice. Top 9 from each. 2 relegated, 1 down in a playoff with 2,3,4 of an All Ireland first.

If we stay seperate, I'd rather we went for some radical change to the make up of the league. (eg 2 regional divisions of 12, home and away, interdivisional series, play off's for Championship with other play offs down the league so everyone has an interest till the end (Trophy, Sheild, Plate etc))
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I think everyone on here would agree on an all ireland league. But working with what we have I would have to agree with Xlex, why not an 11 team league with 40 games? Every week a team gets a bye and doesn't have to play anyone and is automatically given 3 points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I dont really mind how many teams are in the League once you play eachother home and away an even amount of times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Personally I'd go for a 16 team league and try and bring 4 more Junior clubs from around the country into the first division.

Can see the advantages and disadvantages of both a 10 team and 12 team leagues - pretty hard to choose one over the other cos they both have big disadvantages..............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

as many game as you can

I think 12 teams and a 44 game year. you cant have one team playing home once and needing to play the same time twice away , does not make sence. more games mean more gates. so more money. Thats what this league needs more than any thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast