Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: eL fixtures released

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan
    quit the bitching and moaning and just get on with it like the rest of us.
    It's very easy to for Waterford and UCD fans to mock as they were never going to win the league in the first place. However, our otherwise excellent chances have already been dealt a blow by this shambolic fixture list.
    Champions!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    It's very easy to for Waterford and UCD fans to mock as they were never going to win the league in the first place. However, our otherwise excellent chances have already been dealt a blow by this shambolic fixture list.
    No, it's quite easy to mock while you insist on making stupid, paranoid, posts like that.

I'll say it again - it'll all be reversed next year. That means you're a shoe-in...

And to say that we're not affected by your problems because we're not going for the title is stupid. We have 16 home games and 17 away games - I suppose we should sue the eL for their shambolic fixture list if we end up the bottom two by a point?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 21/02/2005 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm not paranoid but i think its fair to point out that the team who came second last season (City) will have to play the teams who came first and third last season (Shels/Bohs) away twice.

From the replies on this forum you'd think all other clubs except City are completely indifferent to how often they play 2 of the best three teams in the country at home. Yeah, right

It isn't evidence of a conspiracy but its not ideal for us and it would be nice to know how the home/away breakdown was decided.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    We got no sympathy last year when we got an extra away game and 4/5 of the rest of the top half away twice. You just have to get on with it, a defeatist attitude will do more harm than the bad set of fixtures.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Excellent chances my ******. Shels have it won.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    From the replies on this forum you'd think all other clubs except City are completely indifferent to how often they play 2 of the best three teams in the country at home. Yeah, right.
    We're not indifferent. We're disappointed we've gotten 16 home and 17 away games. However, we're going to get on with it as opposed to turning Merrion Square upside-down in the search for a conspiracy or a match rigging scam which simply doesn't exist. Compare this to the response in the UCD forum last year when we got Bray, Harps, Kildare and Dundalk away twice and only 16 home games.

The home-away breakdown is worked out randomly. I'd be surprised if the eL didn't have a computer to do up the fixtures (maybe it was a Dublin computer though? ). It'll all balance out next year.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    I'm not paranoid but i think its fair to point out that the team who came second last season (City) will have to play the teams who came first and third last season (Shels/Bohs) away twice.

From the replies on this forum you'd think all other clubs except City are completely indifferent to how often they play 2 of the best three teams in the country at home. Yeah, right

It isn't evidence of a conspiracy but its not ideal for us and it would be nice to know how the home/away breakdown was decided.
    Bohs are crap, and I'd be surprised if they weren't back in the "rest" next season.

Many of us have argued with the system before the fixtures were announced. It's an unfair system, every other year at least every club has an extra away game.

What people are laughing at is the assumption that it's some how unfair on Cork City only. If youse genuinely think it fooks up your league chances, then really you never had a chance of winning it.

It's luck of the draw, every league in the world throws up hard sequences at crucial times for some clubs.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy

What people are laughing at is the assumption that it's some how unfair on Cork City only. If youse genuinely think it fooks up your league chances, then really you never had a chance of winning it.

It's luck of the draw, every league in the world throws up hard sequences at crucial times for some clubs.
    I don't think it messes up our chances of winning the league but I'm just curious as to how the fixtures guru goes about deciding whether teams have 1 or 2 home games against other clubs.

He probably does do it completely randomly but it would be interesting to know for certain.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    In the greater scheme of things, yes. Next year's fixtures will be the exact reverse, with the promoted side(s) replacing the relegated side(s). Perfectly fair, within the constraints of the 3-game format.
    Reversed? So next year, Bohs will have to go to Finn Harps twice, Derry twice and Cork twice. €100 says it won't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    a certain bully boy from a certain club played a part.
    Somehow I get the impression that you're talking abouy Ollie Byrne

Far from it, in fact the one big thing we wanted went against us, Bohs in Dalymount twice rather than Tolka. Bohs in Tolka is always our biggest gate of the season and if he'd 'played his part' you can bet that would be the first thing to go our way, we didn't want to lose out on that this year and we have. Playing Cork at home twice rather than away twice doesn't really make that much of a difference, look at the Shels Cork results from Tolka and compare them to Cork Shels results in the Cross last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc
    Reversed? So next year, Bohs will have to go to Finn Harps twice, Derry twice and Cork twice. €100 says it won't happen.
    I'll take you up on that bet, if only to show you to do some research before launching into nonsensical conspiracy theories. Worse than the Yanks!

For the record, here's UCD's fixtures for the past few years...

1998/99
    home twice - Shels, Sligo, Cork, Bray, Derry and Bohs
    away twice - Waterford, Pat's, Harps, Rovers, Dundalk

1999/00
    home twice - Waterford, Pat's, Harps, Rovers, Galway (replaced Dundalk)
    away twice - Shels, Sligo, Cork, Drogheda (replaced Bray), Derry and Bohs

2000/01
    home twice - Shels, Kilkenny (replaced Sligo), Bohs, Derry, Harps and Rovers (don't know why those last two are different)
    away twice - Longford (replaced Waterford), Pat's, Bray (replaced Harps), Galway, Cork (again different for some reason, but these are the exceptions)

2001/02
    home twice - Longford, Pat's, Bray, Galway, Cork
    away twice - Shels, Monaghan (replaced Kilkenny), Bohs, Derry, Dundalk (replaced Harps) and Rovers

There you go. No conspiracy. Just the way it always has been.

Or am I allowed bring facts into this thread?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Lads, some of ye are beginning to sound like Dolan at his most paranoid in mi-rant. We've got a raw deal, absolutely, but can we just get on with it please. I thought our transformation in the last 2 years to a well-run professional club would have meant the victim mentality was a thing of the past. The kind of whinging thats going on here is only going to mean other clubs want to rub our noses in it. Lets just knuckle down, get on with it, and it will make winning the league all the sweeter. Triumph in the face of adversity!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu

Or am I allowed bring facts into this thread?
    A cork related rant with facts thrown in. You could be banned for that sort of carry on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Somehow I get the impression that you're talking abouy Ollie Byrne

Why oh why would you have got that impression ???
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ok some people complain about the 33 game league. Given that we have a 12 team Premier Division what is the alternative? 44 games? spare me.

You could end up playing the same opposition six times a season if you were unfortunate enough to draw them in the League Cup and the FAI Cup too.

And for all of you 10 team Premier supporters, ( in the 36 game season) the second time your teams played the same opposition at home, many clubs had smaller gates for those games than the first round. In spite of the game taking place in better weather. Conclusion the home supporters were pee-d off seeing the same teams over and over again.

Has anyone else got a better theory as to why this occurred?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Has anyone else got a better theory as to why this occurred?

Theory ... no .... solution .... merge with northern league.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness to the Cork lads, I think it should be pointed out that not once in the whole three pages of this thread have they moaned and whinged about there being more Dublin refs than Cork refs. Unless of course they're saving that one for later in the season.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub
    there being more Dublin refs than Cork refs.

So by even mentioning it, you are admitting that it is a problem and you seem to suggest that we'd have grounds to moan about it ??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Calling this a fix its stupid. This thread just gives ammo for people mcalling us paranoid.

I've complained about
    - distances to away games.
    - the layout of fixtures.
    - 17 away v 16 home games.

However is it not fair for City to play Shel$, Bohs, Longford & Waterford all away twice.

I can't comment on other team fixtures as can't go through the whole list.

Will look for old 12 team fixtures & see what looks like swopping new clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    So by even mentioning it, you are admitting that it is a problem and you seem to suggest that we'd have grounds to moan about it ??
    Since when have you lot needed grounds for a moan?

There are more people living in Dublin than in Cork. That's a simple fact. As a consequence, the law of averages says there will be more teams in Dublin than in Cork and more refs from Dublin than from Cork. Those are statistical probabilities. You assume that all the Dublin teams and all the Dublin refs are united by a desire to screw Cork. That's paranoia.

Just to get this discussion out of the realm of fevered imaginings and onto a solid factual basis, I just checked out the archive stats on Soccerbot. For the six seasons they have up that featured an odd number of games, Cork's fixtures panned out as follows:
    2002/03 14 home, 13 away
    2001/02 16 home, 17 away
    2000/01 17 home, 16 away
    1999/00 16 home, 17 away
    1998/99 17 home, 16 away
    1997/98 16 home, 17 away
    In 1999/00, Cork came 2nd, 9 points behind Shels, so an extra home game would've made no difference. In 1998/99, they came second to us by 3 points. Not losing at home to us could've made a huge difference.
    Last edited by Dr.Nightdub; 21/02/2005 at 9:48 PM.
    Revenge for 2002

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast