Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Mexico v Republic of Ireland - Met Life Stadium NJ - Friday, 2nd June 2017 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Maguire and Sheridan must be wondering why they couldn't have been involved.
    Maguire should have been called into the training camp in Fota Island at the very least. It was only down the road from Cork, after all, so there was nothing to lose by having a look at him. Anyhow, as it happens, he has scored twice against Dundalk in Oriel Park this evening and has played very well generally with O'Neill and Keane looking on, so he will hopefully have given them something to think about.

Sheridan isn't available, at least not for the Maxico/Uruguay games anyway. Jagiellonia play their final game of the season on Sunday and can win the league if they win their game and Legia fail to win theirs, so it's a pretty crucial date and there's no way his club would have released him this week(end) considering how pivotal he has been to their title-charge.

Whether or not Sheridan would have been called up otherwise, it's hard to know. I got the sense that he wouldn't have been from O'Neill's words; O'Neill spoke of a few players still being ahead of Sheridan.

Edit: Maguire has just scored his hat-trick.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    O'Neill was at the cork game...... is it too late for a call up

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    No, too early. He hasn't signed for a mid-table Championship team yet.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It is no surprise we lost they had Jesus on their side and he scored the first goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    O'Neill was at the cork game...... is it too late for a call up
    Keane was there too
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    It is no surprise we lost they had Jesus on their side and he scored the first goal.
    Yeah, but he's usually rubbish on crosses. Good man for a comeback all the same.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Yeah, but he's usually rubbish on crosses.
    Being fair he was nailed going up for one one time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    looking at the Mexican squad they have a heavy sprinkling of Mexicans clubs, the Mexican league is no great shakes I've had the pleasure of a couple of games live and I'd put it somewhere with Europes lower leagues or championship level. So why are they so much better than us and producing much better players? That question still isn't answered, how international teams with players from average leagues are still miles ahead of us in terms of pace, power, speed ant technical ability.

Duffys a worry, all over the shop again. I think Brighton if they want to stay up will have to bring in another CB and Duffy will lose his place before end of next season.

We're still not scoring goals either or taking our chances, 1 goal in 4 or so games, a major worry.

I'm very much pro changing systems and formations, but you lose the merit of it when you are playing with a very weakened squad and many players who wouldn't be used to playing that way and who wont actually be making the first 11 in a competitive game, coupled with a side like Mexico who are in top gear ahead of their important WC qualifiers then there is nothing really gained at all. So long as MON doesn't use it as a reason for saying we don't have the ability or players to play that system in the future.
    Duffy was a worry but then so was the whole defence. Formation which will likely not be used again for some time. We were taken to school as far as technique and passing goes. Long balls to nowhere - if they don't work the first few times they probably won't work for the rest of the game. Thought Horgan was impressive when on the ball. Hoolahan was also a class apart when he came on.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I wonder could he walk across Walter's

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Yeah, but he's usually rubbish on crosses. Good man for a comeback all the same.
    Yea, I though about the crosses one too but I didn't want to go to hell.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Gleeson had to wait ten years after his debut for his first goal, wonder if there's any player who went longer before their first strike?
    checked this out, and there's two Irish players who went longer than Gleeson between making their debut, and scoring their first goal.
    One is really well known, the other I'd never heard of. Any guesses?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    checked this out, and there's two Irish players who went longer than Gleeson between making their debut, and scoring their first goal.
    One is really well known, the other I'd never heard of. Any guesses?
    I feel compelled to mention Aldo
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    looking at the Mexican squad they have a heavy sprinkling of Mexicans clubs, the Mexican league is no great shakes I've had the pleasure of a couple of games live and I'd put it somewhere with Europes lower leagues or championship level. So why are they so much better than us and producing much better players? That question still isn't answered, how international teams with players from average leagues are still miles ahead of us in terms of pace, power, speed ant technical ability.

Duffys a worry, all over the shop again. I think Brighton if they want to stay up will have to bring in another CB and Duffy will lose his place before end of next season.

We're still not scoring goals either or taking our chances, 1 goal in 4 or so games, a major worry.

I'm very much pro changing systems and formations, but you lose the merit of it when you are playing with a very weakened squad and many players who wouldn't be used to playing that way and who wont actually be making the first 11 in a competitive game, coupled with a side like Mexico who are in top gear ahead of their important WC qualifiers then there is nothing really gained at all. So long as MON doesn't use it as a reason for saying we don't have the ability or players to play that system in the future.
    The top of the Mexican league is a very good standard. It's like how the French league is no great shakes but Monaco and PSG quite clearly are, and Lyon will be again soon. There's decent money at the top and a lot of Mexican players prefer to play there even though they'd probably earn more in bog-standard Championship sides. They have a great football culture that runs through everything - we don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I feel compelled to mention Aldo
    nope, debut in March 1983 against Wales, first goal two and a half years later in October 1988 against Tunisia
    I thought he might have been up there alright, but he's well down the list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    First time in 222 games that we didn't field a Dubliner in starting lineup.

https://twitter.com/noriordan/status/870445830544789505
    did some checking on this, the previous time to that game that no Dublin born player didn't start a game was the 2-0 loss to the Dutch in USA '94 and it turns out no Dublin born player started a game in that tournament!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    nope, debut in March 1983 against Wales, first goal two and a half years later in October 1988 against Tunisia
    Go to bed, tets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    did some checking on this, the previous time to that game that no Dublin born player didn't start a game was the 2-0 loss to the Dutch in USA '94 and it turns out no Dublin born player started a game in that tournament!
    I'd say everyone would include Paul McGrath (and Dave O'Leary before him) as Dubliners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An update from training earlier:

Did the players who were in the US not get a proper chance to sleep?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Gleeson had to wait ten years after his debut for his first goal, wonder if there's any player who went longer before their first strike?

I think everyone saw thiis and went............ "I know who'll know..... Tets"

I can't guess, i've been drinking gin since 5pm

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    I think everyone saw thiis and went............ "I know who'll know..... Tets"

I can't guess, i've been drinking gin since 5pm
    Thought you'd be more of a JD man.

24. Thanks From:

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast