Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really annoys me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Really annoys me

A couple of quotes from the soccer forum on boards.ie:

United have been there done that. Chelsea as a team haven't- there are some players that have won cups but how many have actually won a tough run in to a league? Oh for the Landsdowne road pitch to take its toll on Duff, he must be due an injury now.
    Well, after that [Duff's] tackle on Ronaldo, I wanted him to get injured, but I'm just vindictive
    Did the match kick off early? I was watching the england game,and flicked over at quarter to 8 but it was already about 20 minutes into it [Would have been no more than 10 minutes in]. Annoyed me,cos on the "more info" thing on ntl,it said kick off wasnt till 8:05. I didnt bother watchin it then,thought id wait til tv3 but now i cant really be arsed
    OK, we're all posting on this forum for a reason, we are actual supporters of the Ireland team. Boards.ie will show you the view of a lot of Irish people who support English teams (its ok to support an English team as long as Ireland comes first).

I thought the Cork fans choosing Cork over Ireland was a bit weird but for someone to support a team in another country over their own national team is a bit more than weird. Cork fans are supporting a team in their own town and go to see them play week in week out, putting money into the team and feeling part of the "club". Most Irish Man U fans don't even live in Manchester, never mind come from there, but still can put the club they support ahead of their country.

I made a point in the Ireland - Portugal thread on boards.ie that the Community Shield thread had twice as many posts in it as the Ireland game last night. I've been looking on BBC 606 club boards and you'd be doing well to see any posts not related to the England match last night.

There is no equivelent to this imo. There are a load of English club football fans in somewhere like Denmark but you're having a laugh if you think they would want a Danish player injured because he made a cynical tackle on a player from the club he supports. You'd also be doing well to see a Dutch or English person watching the Ireland match when their own country is playing.

It really annoys me and it can only get worse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sounds like a moron to me to be honest Dont get annoyed by fools like him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Sounds like a moron to me to be honest Dont get annoyed by fools like him.
    Thats quotes from 3 seperate people mate. There's plenty just like them on that forum too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's not overly suprising, espically from Irish Man U fans. Alot of them would choose club over country and for the English, Manchester based ones I can understand that but it defies logic for the Irish ones with no connection to the team who have probably never even been inside Old Trafford. There were people around me last night who seemed to go just to cheer on Ronaldo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    All these quotes are actually from Man U fans. Here's another:

Quote Originally Posted by Seansouth
    One suit in front of me, wearing a United bobble hat was rubbing his hands with glee when Duff took him down that time. These people have no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Fair play to that man, country should come before foreign club.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Muppet
    Why?

piratemousey
    i will deffinatley support cork city over ireland.
    the reasons are personal, i cant relate to that crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I'd expect nothing better from barstool fools.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    Cork City over Ireland? You need your head read. Green blood in my veins pal, don't know about yours?
    City over Rep. of Ireland team anyday.

Im still a huge fan of the national team, go to all the games but if it came down to it and I had to pick one it would be City. I'd most the majority of City/eL fans would be the same
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    No problem with the Cork City or Shelbourne or Finn Harps over Ireland brigade. I actually don't really see a conflict although obviously choices must be made re cash for away trips or even home games.

Now Manyoo Chelski et al is a different matter. i can't understand it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    but then again you guys are the real fans who invented the game and were following eL clubs when Jesus was doing his Inter Cert.
    Now where did I claim any of that...

Just telling you of my own choice and that of many others, not saying it is anymore valid that yours something which you are doing.

Everytime you point a finger 3 of your own point back at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Davros
    With that kind of attitude,these sort of people are no great loss to the national team & they have the nerve to call Dubs.arrogant!
    Oh the irony

So Im no loss even though I go to all the games? Are you a better Ireland fan than me so Davros?
    Last edited by SÓC; 10/02/2005 at 2:15 PM.
    Oh no not them again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I can completely understand why people choose a club team over national team - you have connection to club team week in week out whereas national team barely play once a month on average. However i still don't understand how can have an obcession about a club you may visit once or twice a season - i would find it strange for Donegal person to support Cork City if they only made it to Cork once or twice a year.

In Scandanavian countries they obcessed with English football but are also passionate about their National league.

IMO there are not that many true supporters of english teams in this country. Most come across as complete barstoolers who would never attend any match. I think the true category of english football supporters also attends sport within this island.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    That says more about Cork City fans than it does about the rest of us. There can be no greater thrill in life than watching Ireland take other countries apart.
    The FAI scheduled the Ireland -v- China Home international to clash with the Setanta cup game CCFC -v- Shels. The latter is now changed, but I know which ground I would have been at if there's been a clash. (The X btw)

By in large though, the choice doesn't have to be made, and I don;t think my supporting CCFC dilutes my supporting the national team in the slightest.

Any Irishman who would wish an injury on Duff so that Chelsea's run-in would be made harder than United's though is an idiot. You can quote me on that!
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I dont have a problem with people supporting a club more than they support their country (although I myself support Ireland more than I support Tranmere), as usually a conflict of interest is very unlikely to happen. But I think its wrong for Irish (national team) fans wanting an Irish player to get injured because it might benefit their club... IMO they cant really support Ireland if they want players like Duff to pick up injuries.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    As a rule of thumb, ignore people from Cork. They are arm-chair revolutionaries as ever there were. Ah shur go on now, the independent republik of Cork....any more subsidies from the EU now there boy?

I've been a Man. U. fan since 1980. Had a cousin play for them and have seen more than 30 games at Old Trafford. Absolutely love the team.

I'd rather see Chelsea win the league by 20 points while beating Man. U. by 5 goals than to see Duff injured. As much as I love United, my heart is with Ireland. I'd rather see Ireland qualify for every major tournament for the rest of my life than see United ever win another title.

Anyone who thinks differently isn't an Irish fan.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Well said. I think you'll find the vast majority of us on this board would agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I kinda support Chelsea, when chelsea played Tottenham in september (i think) I has hoping Keano stick one in the back of the net, I didnt want spurs to win I just wanted Keano to score. I dont know if I can be labelled a Chelsea fan

I'd never support club over country, I just wouldn't feel Irish

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Club v Country

The cork over Ireland thing is nonsense. Just a bunch of eejits copying the english/scottish thing where the "big club" mentality sometimes comes before country.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son
    As a rule of thumb, ignore people from Cork. They are arm-chair revolutionaries as ever there were. Ah shur go on now, the independent republik of Cork....any more subsidies from the EU now there boy?

I've been a Man. U. fan since 1980. Had a cousin play for them and have seen more than 30 games at Old Trafford. Absolutely love the team.

I'd rather see Chelsea win the league by 20 points while beating Man. U. by 5 goals than to see Duff injured. As much as I love United, my heart is with Ireland. I'd rather see Ireland qualify for every major tournament for the rest of my life than see United ever win another title.

Anyone who thinks differently isn't an Irish fan.
    I don't think anyone who would want to see any player injured is a sports fan full stop, or knows what the purpose of sport is. No need for all these hypothetical club versus country scenarios, next thing you will be cutting off your nuts to prove you love Ireland!

We Corkmen by the way exist on a higher plane of consciousness, feel free to envy.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    Certain people on here seem obsessed with knocking their country,over some tinpot team.....if they want to exclusively support them,fine!
    Now now, leave Norn Iron out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    my issue is with 'exclusively parochial' clowns,who then come on here & moan who should/shouldn't support Ireland,FFS!
    We've covered all this ground 20 times before. As with everything else its all a matter of personal taste. Each to their own.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MickCollins
    I don't think anyone who would want to see any player injured is a sports fan full stop, or knows what the purpose of sport is. No need for all these hypothetical club versus country scenarios, next thing you will be cutting off your nuts to prove you love Ireland!

We Corkmen by the way exist on a higher plane of consciousness, feel free to envy.
    Higher plane of consciousness? So that's your euphemism for being a raging alcoholic

Just teasing.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast