Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Special Team

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

A Special Team

After watching Ireland last night, I believe we could be on the verge of a really glorious era in Irish International football. Although it was only a friendly, the ease at which Ireland snuffed out the Portugal team was very heartening. In the last year we have managed to hold Brazil, France, Portugal, Croatia and the Czech Republic scoreless. (not too sure of score against Croatia). The age profile of the team is quite young and if the likes of Duff and Given can steer clear of injuries I think we will all be getting the funds together to head to Germany once again. Hats off to Brian Kerr.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    YA I went to the match with my brother and we argued this point all the way home which took ages by the way got stuck behind a circus YES A CIRCUS which all had big lorrys and wouldn't let anyone over take them...

Anyway they look so confident and calm last night they easly bet Portugal If they continue to play like that I can see them easly getting to the semi-finals if not the FINAL of the WC....

Roll on Germany 06

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I wasn't sure which way to look at it, were Ireland good because they didn't let Portugal play and attack, or did Portugal make Ireland look good by not attacking?? Listening to Newstalk on the way home, they made the point that Big Phil wasn't here for a holiday, he has better places to go for a holiday, he was here to win.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If we brush over some of the dodgy bits then that was a really encouraging showing, especially given the gale that was blowing. The balance of the side is good and Kerr is getting the right mix of creativity and defensive discipline into the team as a whole.

At times the quality of our attacking play was of the highest order with Duff & Reid showing the value of genuine width and cunning. But the defence had a few lapses in concentration that could easily be punished in a qualifier, especially in the first quarter of the game, though O’Brien grew into the game.

Central midfield did some decent holding / defensive work but lacked any real wit or creativity. I’d like to see central midfield as being more than a vehicle to get the ball to the wide players. They were up against quality though.

If you could add some of the Portuguese movement and deftness of touch to our play this Irish team could really go places.

On that performance the only change I’d make for Israel would be to bring Keane in for Holland. Finnan continues to look a cut above Carr in my mind.

And again, let’s say nothing about getting to Germany. George Hamilton has made a career out of tempting fate like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Holland France and Switzerland were all away from home I believe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    “never been tested” – what about Paris?
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    “never been tested” – what about Paris?
    Ya and we sould have won that one... we deserved to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    thought we played quite well all things considered -the weather was a dreadful for long periods. was in the north terrace and got a fair soaking even with a windbreaker on. Don't think the amount of squalls really suited anyone trying to be creative with a ball on the grass but we coped with it better than them.

One worry -I don't think we're as tight defending on corners that we might be. Again swirly winds and rain falling make for inconsistency but just thought we looked a little shakey there at times. Nit-picking though.
    Quite happy with the performance all 'round. Bring on Israel.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    And unbeaten in Poland too!

I agree with his point though. I'd prefer to see a few more away friendlies & I think Kerr has said as much too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So what teams out there are good so and woudl provide us with a test away from home.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sweden away would be a good difficult friendly although i think we've played plenty of testing sides even if a majority of them have been at LR.

Good performance all round last night. Portugal didn't look like a side going through the motions to me. This really looks a strong promising Ireland team but i think i'll stop there as to avoid the aforementioned tempting fate.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I thought we looked a bit stronger with Reid on the left and Duff on the right, on the occasions that they switched.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    With regard to away fixtures I'd like to see one or two more away games added to the schedule. Getting the winning habit has been an important part of this team's development up to now but if we transfer that winning habit to away games then I think it'd move our development up one more notch. In a way the Israel game will serve two purpose. 3 points would be great, but so too would the less tangible experience of winning away.

But the next couple of friendlies look to be of value. The upcoming China game will help a few fringe players to get involved. The Italy game will be a dress rehearsal for France.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

The defense is good, some good cover options. Centre midfield well covered. Got some quality wide players but slightly lacking in attack. Morrisson is ok but can have varied performances & who is 3rd choice?

Squad hasn't many old players & steady supply of young possible international players for the future. Ireland seems to make a lot better use of promoting u-21 players than others.

Duff is out 1 truely world-class player. When was the last time he had a bad game for his country? IMO one of the most crucial players we've ever had.

Reid has a lot of potential if he can add some extra speed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd agree. Duff is fantastic and is the most dangerous player we have.

Reid looks like he's been playing first division football for too long, he seems to be carrying a bit of weight, not being nasty about it but just a perception. If you compare his physique to Duff's or Keane's...This can be easily remedied, however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    I'd agree. Duff is fantastic and is the most dangerous player we have.

Reid looks like he's been playing first division football for too long, he seems to be carrying a bit of weight, not being nasty about it but just a perception. If you compare his physique to Duff's or Keane's...This can be easily remedied, however.
    Ya when I saw him last night I felt like starting a rendition of who ate all the pies....

Mind you he was one of the best players on the pitch so maybe the extra weight is helpin him in some strange way.....

Spurs won't be long knockin him into shape anyway

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire06
    Ya when I saw him last night I felt like starting a rendition of who ate all the pies....

Mind you he was one of the best players on the pitch so maybe the extra weight is helpin him in some strange way.....

Spurs won't be long knockin him into shape anyway
    Funny. I saw him as a kid and thought he may be too small to make it. The poor fella can't win!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Funny. I saw him as a kid and thought he may be too small to make it. The poor fella can't win!
    I think he has proved a lot of people wrong... Fair play to him cause he does get a lot of crap

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I do think we are lacking in attack but we have McGeady now as an attacking option - I think he will be class. I really hope sunderland get promoted - it could really benefit Stephen Elliott.

I think it is important to take positives from teh games but not be over the top. I think we did well ....I think it is time for Dunne to be back on the team.
    I honestly believe if we beat Israel away we will have taken a GIANT step towards Germany

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by concanta
    I do think we are lacking in attack but we have McGeady now as an attacking option - I think he will be class.
    Same as. Was hoping Kerr would give him a longer run. At least a half hour. Ten mins wasnt enough - looked lively for it though.
    Resign, now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast