Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: New TV Channel..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

New TV Channel..

Just what Ireland's been crying out for : another TV channel providing soaps, sitcoms and dramas (doubtless all sourced from the US...).

I'd expect less than zero interest in the EL from these guys, if they ever get up and running :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...452098,00.html

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    Just what Ireland's been crying out for : another TV channel providing soaps, sitcoms and dramas (doubtless all sourced from the US...).

I'd expect less than zero interest in the EL from these guys, if they ever get up and running :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...452098,00.html
    Doubt it will ever happen tbh.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its a satellite/digital station not a traditional analogue station like rte tv3 or tg4
    "If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better." Johan Cruyff

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by $Leon$
    its a satellite/digital station not a traditional analogue station like rte tv3 or tg4
    They're not licencing any more terrestrial analogue stations anyway. If RTE got their finger out of their arse regarding Digital Terrestrial maybe it would be....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by $Leon$
    And the point is....?

It's a new Irish TV station. The article is clear about it being digital. As no new analogue licenses are being approved from now on, format is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    As no new analogue licenses are being approved from now on, format is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
    Except in a country that can't even get everything broadcasting UHF, let alone digital

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Licence Nazis

I don't understand why anyone needs a licence to have an irish cable channel. Maybe if they were terrestial & taking over broadcasting space but why the need for a cable licence since the state has no input in providing the broadcasting mechanism?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I don't understand why anyone needs a licence to have an irish cable channel. Maybe if they were terrestial & taking over broadcasting space but why the need for a cable licence since the state has no input in providing the broadcasting mechanism?

Why do you need a dog license, if the state has no input in - well - anything regarding your pooch...?

I guess it's a control element for broadcasting. Given the power of TV/Radio, the government doubtless wants to ensure any organisations that do broadcast are fit and proper. Otherwise we'd be able to tune into Global Islamic extremist channels and watch the Northern Bank hesit on 'Tiocfaidh ar TV' every night....

But then again - that assumes some thought went into the process (rather than just carrying over the rules re Analogue) which I'm never convinced of in Ireland...

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I guess it's a control element for broadcasting. Given the power of TV/Radio, the government doubtless wants to ensure any organisations that do broadcast are fit and proper. Otherwise we'd be able to tune into Global Islamic extremist channels and watch the Northern Bank hesit on 'Tiocfaidh ar TV' every night....
    They could broadcast Free To Air on satellite without any controls, and at a fraction of the costs of cable...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    They could broadcast Free To Air on satellite without any controls, and at a fraction of the costs of cable...
    Know many people with a free-to-air satelitte dish ? I don't know any.....

Cable is guaranteed to go into a lot of homes. Free-to-air satelitte is guaranteed to be seen by very few. Hence - no real need to control it I guess.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Know many people with a free-to-air satelitte dish ? I don't know any.....

Cable is guaranteed to go into a lot of homes. Free-to-air satelitte is guaranteed to be seen by very few. Hence - no real need to control it I guess.
    Well how many people would want to watch extremist channels like you mentioned. They only need to be licenced to go on one of the distribution services, eg Sky.

Ultimately, the BCI/Government (and RTE) should be more concerned about getting a proper digital TV service up and running - ideally DTT, if not they should instigate a Free To View card as the UK have. I'd pay the cost price for a card for digital quality, especially if they had the FTA channels on the epg (BBC Channels, and hopefully ITV anytime soon).