Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Crowley/Grealish

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

Crowley/Grealish

Just wondering if we could get some clarity on the treatment of threads in the ireland forum. The two threads mentioned in the title here have recently been moved to the World Football forum. This appears to be a new direction in how this forum will be moderated from here on in as it has never happened before. I think such a change warrants further discussion and the decision shouldn't be so unilateral or at the whim of a moderator. There are a multitude of threads that are currently in the Ireland forum that contravene this new approach.

My preference with these things is to keep it simple. The threads should stay in the Ireland forum irrespective of how irrelevant the discussion ultimately turns out to be. It's easier for the users and for reference purposes into the future.

Also, threads being closed should be a last resort. If posters breach the rules of engagement in any thread they should be warned then suspended and barred for subsequent infractions. That's just a standard in any forum.

Some good conversation has already occurred here: http://foot.ie/threads/161142-Daniel-Crowley/page13

Looking for a definitive answer and ultimately would like both threads moved back. This request seems to be well supported by other users in the thread.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    The threads were moved after Grealish declared for England, and Crowley was called into the England U19 squad. I had stated before that if Grealish declared for England, the thread would be moved. He did, it was, and nobody complained. I moved the Crowley thread after his call up for consistency. I felt that, until either of them change their mind, anything they do is irrelevant to the Irish national side so why discuss it in the Ireland forum? There's a few other players mentioned - Patrick Bamford, Barry Maguire, Joe Mason - but their threads are all but dead with no recent activity so I left them alone.
    If anyone wants to discuss a player who may be eligible, and is currently with another international side (either senior or youth) there's a potentially eligible players thread here: http://foot.ie/threads/119079-Potent...players-thread
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I don't have a problem with this. If they've declared for England, why would they be in the Ireland forum? They're traitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I think that is a very shortsighted decision. And petty rationale. And potentially farcical.

What was wrong with the way that it has always been? That is, that a player thread stays where it's started irrespective of what the player ends up doing? It's never been a problem before. Why now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The threads were moved after Grealish declared for England, and Crowley was called into the England U19 squad. I had stated before that if Grealish declared for England, the thread would be moved. He did, it was, and nobody complained. I moved the Crowley thread after his call up for consistency. I felt that, until either of them change their mind, anything they do is irrelevant to the Irish national side so why discuss it in the Ireland forum? There's a few other players mentioned - Patrick Bamford, Barry Maguire, Joe Mason - but their threads are all but dead with no recent activity so I left them alone.
    If anyone wants to discuss a player who may be eligible, and is currently with another international side (either senior or youth) there's a potentially eligible players thread here: http://foot.ie/threads/119079-Potent...players-thread
    The Joe Mason thread is all but dead?

You did a poor job of moderating the Grealish thread, you should've suspended posters instead you shut down valid discussion, as a result you made a bad snap decision to move Grealish, you made a similar bad decision to move Crowley, you have no clear rationale for what gets moved and what doesn't, you haven't moved anything else that violates the new rules and you haven't the wherewithal to acknowledge any of the above and reverse the decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think that is a very shortsighted decision. And petty rationale. And potentially farcical.

What was wrong with the way that it has always been? That is, that a player thread stays where it's started irrespective of what the player ends up doing? It's never been a problem before. Why now?
    I wasn't a mod before either. It's only a problem because you're making it a problem

The Joe Mason thread is all but dead?
    There's no need to move the Mason thread at all, I don't know why it's part of the conversation

You did a poor job of moderating the Grealish thread, you should've suspended posters instead you shut down valid discussion, as a result you made a bad snap decision to move Grealish, you made a similar bad decision to move Crowley, you have no clear rationale for what gets moved and what doesn't, you haven't moved anything else that violates the new rules and you haven't the wherewithal to acknowledge any of the above and reverse the decision.
    There was a lengthy discussion among the mods about the Grealish thread when it started to become difficult to moderate around a year ago. Users were warned, infractions and suspensions were imposed, and eventually the thread was locked. There was nothing else that could be done. It wasn't a snap decision to move the thread, the decision to move the thread if Grealish changed his allegiance was made months ago, and nobody complained when it was moved.

The rationale for moving threads is clear - the thread for a player who played for the Republic at youth level, but has decided to change their allegiance will be moved to the international forum.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Alright. I still think it's a silly thing to do but I'll let it go.

By the way, despite this argument, I think you do a great job of moderating the ireland forum.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Thanks, I don't get a lot of feedback on being a moderator

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Group hug!

12. Thanks From: