Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should Garda Killers be Released?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 32.31%
  • No

44 67.69%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Release Garda Killers?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Question Release Garda Killers?

Should they be released from prison if IRA say they gonna stop all activities?

From what i've read irish courts have said they can't be released under Good Friday Agreement deal. Now SF/IRA trying to link their release to new "final" deal...

IMO if they got out under Good Friday Agreement that would be ok as couldn't do anything about but linking them to final final settlement is completely wrong.
    Last edited by pete; 03/12/2004 at 1:54 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Yes. I don't see why IRA murderer's in the Republic should be treated any differently to those in the North.

However, the Government should be criticised for giving (yet more) promises it was never going to keep. (unfortunately the majority of the irish population will forget about it once they cash their SSIA money).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    From what i've read irish courts have said they can't be released under Good Friday Agreement deal. Now SF/IRA trying to link their release to new "final" deal...
    Thought the Irish Courts said they did qualify, but it was the decision of the Justice Minister/ Government to release them so they couldn't interfere?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Thought the Irish Courts said they did qualify, but it was the decision of the Justice Minister/ Government to release them so they couldn't interfere?
    Maybe i misread it. As i said if they leggaly allowed to be released under Good Friday Agreement then they should be let out straight away.

On the other hand i'd be 100% opposed to IRA essentially blackmailing irish government under guise of final final solution.

Government promises are political matters & carry no weigh legally. Should be lot of opportunities for opposition to use it against FF though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If it brings Sinn Feinn and The Doc's men together and moves things forward, well,let them out.The goal posts have been moved now and the only way is forward and if thats the only stumbling block after all these years of voilence and killings,well it's time to move on.Release them .

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Government promises are political matters & carry no weigh legally. Should be lot of opportunities for opposition to use it against FF though.
    Obviously, but too many people will forget by the time of the next election, get swept up in the FF spin. Kinda ironic considering the criticism of the yanks over Bush...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes. I don't see why IRA murderer's in the Republic should be treated any differently to those in the North.

However, the Government should be criticised for giving (yet more) promises it was never going to keep. (unfortunately the majority of the irish population will forget about it once they cash their SSIA money).
    Two points: 1/ according to the Little Green Book or so we are told, the defence forces of the Republic of Ireland and it's police force are not so called legitimate targets. 2/ They were supposed to be in a ceasefire in June 1996 so had no business engaging in armed activities of anykind including robbing post offices.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Two points: 1/ according to the Little Green Book or so we are told, the defence forces of the Republic of Ireland and it's police force are not so called legitimate targets. 2/ They were supposed to be in a ceasefire in June 1996 so had no business engaging in armed activities of anykind including robbing post offices.
    So fookin what? If it had been some cop killed in the North at the same time they would've been out a long time by now.

I'm sure that Green book is a great comfort to the innocent civilians killed in the North by the IRA and the loyalist paramilitaries.

I'm no supporter of the Sinners, but we can't have it both ways (ditto refusing to accept the Sinners in Government, whilst expecting the Unionists to do it up North).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    If it brings Sinn Feinn and The Doc's men together and moves things forward, well,let them out.The goal posts have been moved now and the only way is forward and if thats the only stumbling block after all these years of voilence and killings,well it's time to move on.Release them .
    But how many times are the IRA gonna say its over? Wasn't the Good Friday Agreement supposed to be the solution to ceasation? 80%+ of people in the Republic voted on the IRA decommissioning every last weapon but it hasn't happened...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I in no way condone what those people did, but many families suffered in the north when the killers of thier police men were released.

I think that they should be released eventually as part of a deal to finally get the Assembly and Executive up and running, but the Government should squeeze all than can out of the IRA before they release them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't remember that vote,I remember voting to change the constitution alright but nothing about firearms.Is it not Mr.Paisley and his cronies that have previously put a hold on the Good Friday agreement on a number of issues

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So fookin what? If it had been some cop killed in the North at the same time they would've been out a long time by now.

I'm sure that Green book is a great comfort to the innocent civilians killed in the North by the IRA and the loyalist paramilitaries.

I'm no supporter of the Sinners, but we can't have it both ways (ditto refusing to accept the Sinners in Government, whilst expecting the Unionists to do it up North).
    I'm no supporter of them either but they were never technically at "war" with this State on the contrary their stated aim is to extend the sovereignty of our state to the entire island. It is a subtle philosphical difference and an example of nitpicking but nevertheless a distinction in the so called canon of the republican movement.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Think it's pretty sad that a load of murderers had to be let of out Long Keash go a cheering crowd in order for 'peace'.....I know i'm pretty young so missed a lot of this but people are talking about the feelings of the families and letting killers out just rubs salt in the wounds.......as has been said they were on 'ceasefire' at the time and it's against the Ra's constitution........if it's against their own rules then they shouldn't be let out uner GFA....or even a 'final' deal.....they were armed robbers who shot offices in the Republic and should be treated as such
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88
    Think it's pretty sad that a load of murderers had to be let of out Long Keash go a cheering crowd in order for 'peace'.....I know i'm pretty young so missed a lot of this but people are talking about the feelings of the families and letting killers out just rubs salt in the wounds.......as has been said they were on 'ceasefire' at the time and it's against the Ra's constitution........if it's against their own rules then they shouldn't be let out uner GFA....or even a 'final' deal.....they were armed robbers who shot offices in the Republic and should be treated as such
    Well said !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With moves on decommissioning afoot I think that SF will go full tilt to get them released, it would be used to show the more hardline members that even if decommissioning happens SF has not forgot their support base.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc
    I in no way condone what those people did, but many families suffered in the north when the killers of thier police men were released.

I think that they should be released eventually as part of a deal to finally get the Assembly and Executive up and running, but the Government should squeeze all than can out of the IRA before they release them.
    I don't condone either what was done by those people on either side of the border. However any actions performed in the 26 counties are not covered by the term "armed struggle" or "battle for national self-determination", cause down here Irish people are governing Irish people by consent of the majority.
    And if we don't like this lot we can elect an opposing shower to take their place. Our gardaí are not by SF/IRA's own rule book legitimate targets. Although I do not like having to use that term.

Northern Ireland's Police are and have been armed and had some chance of defending themselves in shooting situations, Gerry McCabe and Ben O'Sullivan were unarmed and shot at point blank range. A subtle difference I know but nevertheless a difference.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you got to ask yourselfs if they had raped someone would/should they still be allowed out? the bottom line is here at the moment in dublin sinn fein/ira are commiting crimes around dublin robbing dublin port smuggiling cigs spying on politicans in the republic of ireland is this legal no this is meant to be a democratic party but it has its own private army spying robbing murdering our own citizens how much more apeasement of thier illegal activitys must we put up with so that they can have their own way ? only last week a leading member of sein fein ,niall binead, with close ties to the idiot td aengus o'snodaigh and he protests is innocence even though he was caught with stun guns cs gas and garda uniforms plus a list of TD'S names and their movments, also they had a list of drug dealers names who they were trying to extort money from . come on people do you really want these people in goverment they say they are trying to free the 6 counties more like trying to take over the other 26
    Last edited by exile; 05/12/2004 at 12:44 AM.
    save the sheep shaggers bring back beheadings for waherford

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ]

if you look at the sinn fein constitution i cant find it online but i read it a few years ago it says in it THAT THEY DO NOT RECOGNISE THE DAIL AS THE LEGITAMATE GOVERMENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND AND THAT IT IS AN ILLEGAL GOVERMENT
    Also they they do not recognise the irish army as the protectors of this island they belive they are ,hence when they issue statments it is signed oglaigh na hEireann which translates losely translates into irish army if that is not an act of war on thier behalf i dont know what is
    and also for any idiot that thinks the ira and sinn fein are not the same have a look at the sinn fein website and explain why they are selling ira t-shirts

i would love to see this island united by the proper means but
    there is no differnece between the murder of margeret hassan
    and the murder of 2 kids johnathan bell and tim parry that were murdered by the ira bomb that went off in warrington
    before you vote for sinn fein or try to justify their actons remember them
    r.i.p
    Last edited by exile; 05/12/2004 at 12:43 AM.
    save the sheep shaggers bring back beheadings for waherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Obviously an emotive one in Limerick but no way.

The Republican Movement are still heavily involved in criminal activity - smuggling in Dublin Port, racketeering etc.

The killers have shown no remorse and they recently claimed that Jerry McCabe was gunned down in revenge for the death of Hugh Hehir shot by the guards when trying to rob a post office in Clare. Note they actually made no attempt to take the money that day.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I totally disagree with their release as any part of a final settlement.

I base this on a couple of items, but I'm open to correction on this..

Obviously, the IRA were on ceasefire at the time.

The IRA disowned these men in the immediate aftermath of the botched robbery. Firstly they said the men weren't in the IRA and when this was proven, they said the robbery wasn't scantioned by the IRA. Then the cheeky *******s want to release them as part of the settlement. That's wrong, IMO.

There was no need to murder that man on that day. Everyone knows that post office deliveries are aided by security convoys. Usually every Thursday. Those IRA men were prepared to murder a member of the police force in order to further the gains of IRA. **** the *******s, let them serve their time.

On another level, the IRA using Irish Government money to live and to fund their activities is something I will never fathom, this is the country they love so much they would kill for it and yet through Social Welfare and PO robberies and such like rob that same very country of wealth accumulated by honest
    [font=Arial]endeavour.[/font]

On another point, how much time do these men have left to serve?

That's what an ordinary joe here thinks, not that I profess to know much about it.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast