Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Holland doesn't convince me on the right. In my mind he's central midfield cover at this stage, most likely for Keane.

I thought Finnan had gone off the boil since Japan but I think he's recovering his form and was really solid in Paris. I saw him up close at the Croatia game and I thought he was quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hartson:

'I thought young Aiden was world class tonight.He's only 18 and I would have to say he is the best 18-year-old I have ever seen.

'He was brilliant and we tried to get the ball out to him as often as possible. We all know how good a player he was and he was different class out there.

'For one so young he looked as if he had been playing at that level all his life.

'I just spoke to my dad and he was talking about Aiden. He couldn't believe he was still only 18.

'Aiden has a great future at Celtic. I think he'll stay here because I believe he's a Celtic supporter anda local boy at that.

'He can go on to have a great future in football.'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McGeady was class last night. Really convinced me he can be a truly great player in years to come. I would agree with Stuttgart though and would stick with Finnan and Reid for upcoming games. There's nothing to say that McGeady won't make that position his own though in the near future.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

Hartson Quote

That's high praise from Hartson alright, but do you remember Larsson's similar comments about Miller after the Anderlecht game last year?

I still have faith that Miller can deliver but I'd prefer him to be more prominent week-in, week-out.

It's all looking good though with McGeady, Flood & Elliott all gaining the plaudits this season. Duff is on fire and Steven Reid is getting back into things. KK is an integral part of Everton's revival, and so on...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy
    So am I. You are not alone.

Maybe some of his colleagues might have taken note. Henri Camara? A disgrace to the colours. Send him back to Wolves now. Pathetic.

PP
    I agree, was at the game and Camara was a headless chicken, Lennon should also be dropped for future European games, always giving the ball away

McGeady showed excellent first time control and composure, he will be an Irish regular, I have no doubt about that
    We are the Wanderers from Bray

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzan_bray
    Lennon should also be dropped for future European games, always giving the ball away
    You cannot have watched Lennon in many european games for Celtic. One of our most consistent performers at that level. Last night was not one of his better games, however still performed an admirable job in breaking down milans play and (more often than not keeping posession)
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    When saying drop Lennon you have to think who is replacement is, Paul "turn up for training every 5 weeks" Lambert. Unless you want to stick a tried and failed (at Euro 2004) Petrov in the holding role Lennon is the only option. BTW, he got the fans player of the year last season and has been doing well this season IMO. If you're going to drop players for giving the ball away a few times Thompson would be first for the chop.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    You cannot have watched Lennon in many european games for Celtic. One of our most consistent performers at that level. Last night was not one of his better games, however still performed an admirable job in breaking down milans play and (more often than not keeping posession)
    believe me mate I have watched nearly all of Celtic's European games and unfortunately Lennon is very slack with his passing, it happened in Anderlecht last year when we lost 1-0, it happened in Shaktar, Milan etc. etc., he just doesn't cut it at the highest level anymore in my opinion

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    When saying drop Lennon you have to think who is replacement is, Paul "turn up for training every 5 weeks" Lambert. Unless you want to stick a tried and failed (at Euro 2004) Petrov in the holding role Lennon is the only option. BTW, he got the fans player of the year last season and has been doing well this season IMO. If you're going to drop players for giving the ball away a few times Thompson would be first for the chop.
    Roy Maurice Keane anyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarzan_bray
    Roy Maurice Keane anyone
    Light touch paper and stand well back...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McGeady's improvement has been dramatic, he looks assured with the ball and knows when to cut in and when to lay the ball off as well as when to beat a man, something vital for a winger as it always keeps the defender thinking.
    Hope that he does stay at Celtic not just cause I'm a fan but because he will at least develop over a couple of seasons of regular first team action and having a real amount of responsibility.

Now PP where have you heard a lot of that before!
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Hope that he does stay at Celtic not just cause I'm a fan but because he will at least develop over a couple of seasons of regular first team action and having a real amount of responsibility.

Now PP where have you heard a lot of that before!
    Does Liam Miller sound familiar? overhyped and over rated.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I honestly, hand on heart, wasn't too sad to see Miller go. He was reportedly offered £30-40k per week. But I would be heart broken if McGeady went for £10m, never mind for free. I rarely, if ever, hype up youngsters but this fella is the most naturally gifted player to ever wear the green shirt. Now that is hype.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    Does Liam Miller sound familiar? overhyped and over rated.

Not exactly, Miller did show some real class in Europe for Celtic and given another season at Parkhead, where he would have got more regular first team games it may have been possible for him to develop, now he is struggling to get a game at Old Trafford when everyone is fit. A man with definate potential but with alot of flaws to be worked out, this IMO would have been better done in the Celtic first team than Man U reservers or even worse their subs bench. This is one of the reasons that McGeady should look to stay with Celtic for a while.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    From This morning's Guardian:

"Ferguson's antennae will also have picked up on how ineffective Miller was in the void between midfield and attack. Lightweight and seemingly incapable of asserting himself, it is becoming increasingly difficult to understand why Ferguson picked out the Irishman earlier this year."

I agree with Pat O that he'd have been better advised to stay at Celtic.

I'd like to think he'd give a better account of himself if he was surrounded by more regular first-teamers at MUFC but as I've asked before: would Ferguson have taken him to OT if he'd had to pay for him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by what biy!
    there is 1st team players in the premiership who arent even in this bracket.
    Juninho's getting paid over £40k a week and he can't even get his game fo Celtic or Boro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    "Ferguson's antennae will also have picked up on how ineffective Miller was in the void between midfield and attack. Lightweight and seemingly incapable of asserting himself, it is becoming increasingly difficult to understand why Ferguson picked out the Irishman earlier this year."
    After getting MOTM and all sorts of plaudits in his last performance for them, how fickle some eejits can be

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The same hack probably never saw the Arsenal game last week.

Anyway, there's a whole thread now on Miller so I'll continue my thoughts on this subject over there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We're nearly getting through the whole Celtic team. Here's what Juninho has to say:

"I think that, if you have technical players in your squad, it's good to give them the chance to link up together. We have enough strong, physical players to make that possible.

"I would like to play beside Aiden because I think he is a great talent. He will become a great player in time, although I think it will be important for people to be understanding with him because now you can see that it's starting to become more difficult for him.

"People know him now and are giving him special treatment, closing him down very quickly, much more than they did in the beginning. It's tough for him at the moment, but because of his qualities, he will learn how to deal with that and become a great player for Celtic."

---------

A player with over 50 Brazilian caps been kept out of the team by an 18 year old. Add that to Nesta going up to him after the Milan game and I'm suprised McGeady is still keeping his head together.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does anyone have that clip of the step over that he did in one game? I've gone through old threads but I can't find it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast