Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eircom Robbers!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eircom Robbers!

Today i got my phone bill. The total bill was €79.42. The actual call charges on it were €10.85. If thats not robbery what is?

Why open the phone market up to just simply call charges when the dearest items on the bill are line rental etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    If you want to reduce your phone bill, get away from Eircom. We use Euphony in our house. It has taken nearly €40 off out phone bill. If you want to know more : REPLY! and I'll give you some information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Switch to SMART TELECOM

Formerly: dublinharp carrickharp's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Or VarTec Telecom
    “Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete.” - Sid Waddell
    www.donegaldarts.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Don't you still have to pay Eircon line rental charges though?
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Don't you still have to pay Eircon line rental charges though?

Yeah, thats the problem. The actual call charges arent huge. They amount to €11 out of €80. The big hitters are the items like line rental. Privitisation in this case obviously hasnt worked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Some operators are able to offer single-billing via WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) now, which means your line rental will be billed by them. Because the margins are so tight it's unlikely the line rental will be much lower, if at all, however you are taking that margin out of Eircom's pocket if you switch. So have a chat with prospective alternatives about "single billing". I'm with UTV, although unfortunatley they seem to be having problems with their UTV Talk product, as apparently single billing hasn't been activated by them yet.

We have the highest line rental in Europe by the way. Join IrelandOffline and email them or post on the forums to complain about line rental, so they know that it's a topic you want them to address. (Strictly speaking line rental isn't a core issue for them, so they need to be told.)

adam

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally, Eoin, I'd switch to UTV. My two monthly bill with eircom, including internet, was roughly €275. When I switched to UTV, it dropped to €145.

eircom are the pits of a company, and it kills me to have to pay them line rental, I just wish UTV could get that end sorted out.
    As an example of just how bad eircom are, a few months after we switched, some pr*ck from eircom called to the house and was fairly rude and pushy to my partner and he was actually under the impression that this behaviour would have us running back to them.
    (Unluckily for him, he choose to call again some days later when I was at home. I can safely say that eircom, or any of their representatives will not be bothering us again!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    eircom are the pits of a company, and it kills me to have to pay them line rental, I just wish UTV could get that end sorted out.
    While I don't disagree with you, my only worry would be when there's a problem with the line. I have a fault on the line at the moment. I rang eircom on thursday, they apparantley checked it out on friday, and there's a guy fixing it today. I'd imagine this could take a hell of a lot longer if, for example, I had to report a fault to UTV, who then had to chase down eircom.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Line rental is just plain robbery. I'd have a similar type of bill where don't use must calls & vast majority is line rental & because no competition in that sector Eircom will just continue to increase that price every year as much as they can get away with.

Theres plenty of competition in calls but never really worth your while unless have big enough bill.

Almost all broadband in this country afaik basically uses the Eircom lines which means even that will have to keep the landlline even if just for broadband.

Getting UTV Internet which includes their phone package which it would seem gives very similar service to Eircom Talktime at no extra cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby
    While I don't disagree with you, my only worry would be when there's a problem with the line. I have a fault on the line at the moment. I rang eircom on thursday, they apparantley checked it out on friday, and there's a guy fixing it today. I'd imagine this could take a hell of a lot longer if, for example, I had to report a fault to UTV, who then had to chase down eircom.
    What you do in these circumstances is report the fault to both Eircom and UTV. Eircom are then required to fix the line within a certain amount of days (can't remember offhand), so you wait exactly that amount of days and you report them to ComReg. ComReg will ask you if you've exhausted the complaints procedure with Eircom and/or UTV, and you tell them yes*. ComReg will then bring pressure to bear on Eircom to fix the problem, and you ring both ComReg and Eircom every day until it's fixed. It sounds like a lot of hassle but it's how you get things done.

Here's another tip that's proved invaluable to me: Drop the lineman a tenner or so when he leaves your gaff. It seems like "double taxation" but believe me, it's worth it. Especially when you have a recurring fault.

adam

[size=1]*Even if you haven't. Eircom will lie about it, and they don't deserve anything less themselves.[/size]

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Actually while we are on bills. The electricity industry for domestic users is deregulated in the new year. Its already deregulated in the commercial sector. The ESB are the dearest, so i dont see why it would be different in the domestic sector if the other players decide to get involved.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Actually while we are on bills. The electricity industry for domestic users is deregulated in the new year. Its already deregulated in the commercial sector. The ESB are the dearest, so i dont see why it would be different in the domestic sector if the other players decide to get involved.
    Bizarrely in order to make the domestic electricity market more attractive for competition to enter the regulator has been approving all the esb increases in recent years to increase the perceived profit margin.

Unlike telecoms in the electricity market their seems to some sort wisdom behind separating the network & retail markets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Unlike telecoms in the electricity market their seems to some sort wisdom behind separating the network & retail markets.
    Has to rank #1 in retarded economic policies by Fianna Fáil. I mean everyone makes economic mistakes, but selling Eircom as a single job lot is the kind of thing the idiot son does to bust the company. Anyone that had any kind of experience of the comms market at all back then, including myself (I include myself as a complete amateur), knew that selling the network along with the retail arm was going to murder the comms market in Ireland. And lo and behold, that's exactly what happened, lawd have mercy.

Fianna Fáil shown up for the short-term greed-driven hacks that they are once again.

adam

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Noticed article last week in newspaper showing how the irish 3G (vodafone) prices a lot more expensive than same UK versions dispite the irish regulator selling the 3G licences for only millions & not the billions elsewhere in order to encourage reasonable prices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    A "lot" is understatement of the month. And they're taking their precious time rolling out too, they'll be nudging the limits set by ComReg if they're not careful. Not that ComReg'll fine them, bunch of fairies that they are. (All due respect to fairies. Salt of the earth.)

adam

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Getting UTV Internet which includes their phone package which it would seem gives very similar service to Eircom Talktime at no extra cost.
    You don't need to get the internet package to get their phone deal. As almost all of my landline calls to Ireland and UK are off peak (and less than an hour) my landline bill is almost non-existant - less than Eircom or EsatBT. Now if I could just sort out a reasonable deal wrt mobiles I'd be laughing....
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith
    You don't need to get the internet package to get their phone deal. As almost all of my landline calls to Ireland and UK are off peak (and less than an hour) my landline bill is almost non-existant - less than Eircom or EsatBT. Now if I could just sort out a reasonable deal wrt mobiles I'd be laughing....
    I meant in order to get broadband pretty much need to keep landline connected even if never use calls....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Well, if it's available you can get a wireless connection and dump the landline connection altogether. I'd do it meself if I didn't need a landline for work.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Personally, Eoin, I'd switch to UTV. My two monthly bill with eircom, including internet, was roughly €275. When I switched to UTV, it dropped to €145.
    Yeah we switched to UTV last year and it's dramatically cheaper alright. It's the way to go I'd say.
    Champions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast