Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: more government money to gaa

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

more government money to gaa

Dublin GAA received a boost last night when the county board launched a €7m scheme to increase participation among children in the city.

County secretary John Costello said: "Figures show we have a 16% participation rate among children in Gaelic games in Dublin."

More than a third of the country's population lives in Dublin and the GAA is mindful of the need for a vibrant underage scheme in the capital.

The Government has promised an annual sum of €1m for each of the three years of the programme.

Croke Park donated €1.6m, the Leinster Concil will hand over €735,000, with the remainder coming from Dublin County Board and its clubs
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    Dublin GAA received a boost last night when the county board launched a €7m scheme to increase participation among children in the city.

County secretary John Costello said: "Figures show we have a 16% participation rate among children in Gaelic games in Dublin."

More than a third of the country's population lives in Dublin and the GAA is mindful of the need for a vibrant underage scheme in the capital.

The Government has promised an annual sum of €1m for each of the three years of the programme.

Croke Park donated €1.6m, the Leinster Concil will hand over €735,000, with the remainder coming from Dublin County Board and its clubs
    I reckon if the FAI was run in the same (professional even thou there not) manner is the GAA we would have no worries about funding what so ever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    And this is relevant to the Eircom League how?
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Probably someone complaining that how come the GAA get that money and soccer doesn't. The fact is that for an 'amateur' organisation, their administrative, fund raising and publicity arms are easily the most professional of any sporting org in the country. The fact that we have a useless shower of mé féiners squabbling for petty power in Merrion Square is half the reason why we will get damn all money for the foreseeable future. If the FAI was run with even half the vision, dedication and expertise of the GAA, and to a lesser extent the IRFU, then soccer at every level in this country would be a lot better off

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's all right then

Quote Originally Posted by DruggyDrog
    Probably someone complaining that how come the GAA get that money and soccer doesn't. The fact is that for an 'amateur' organisation, their administrative, fund raising and publicity arms are easily the most professional of any sporting org in the country. The fact that we have a useless shower of mé féiners squabbling for petty power in Merrion Square is half the reason why we will get damn all money for the foreseeable future. If the FAI was run with even half the vision, dedication and expertise of the GAA, and to a lesser extent the IRFU, then soccer at every level in this country would be a lot better off
    Oh, so it's only down to a few lads in town. I'm glad you've reassured us of that.
    And there I was thinking that our sports media and political establishments were infested with GAA (and ManU)- loving bigots determined to keep the Irish game in its place.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Ummm, sounds like paranoia.

I was speaking to Minister O'Donoghue last Friday about the whole issue (shucks, there I go again with the name dropping, like a politicised version of max power). Of course they want to be seen to help 'soccer' and give whatever funding is feasible, the game is one of the biggest on this island after all and to completely ignore it is just stupid politics. But they are also very concerned about goings on within the FAI, and I think, like or hate FF or the PDs, many would share their concerns about the present set up.
    BUT cork city and longford town are not the fai, we are unique bodies who stand on our own merits and should be treated as such........
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    True but we've already been already been allocated money, admittedly through the FAI, which we can't get our hands on as the FAI and previous grant recipients had questions to answer. Not fair on the clubs whose previous grant expenditure is there for all to see, such as LTFC
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrayUnknowns
    I reckon if the FAI was run in the same (professional even thou there not) manner is the GAA we would have no worries about funding what so ever
    GAA have professional administrators who are passionate about the game, unlike the FAI who are passionate about first class trips abroad.

Fair play to the FAI, The Turf Club, the IRFU and who ever else gets decent grants. They present propper proposals, back them up with facts and figures and use any connections they have to succed. Its what the FAI clubs, the eL in general and eL clubs should be doing. If they only got up off their own backsides...
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently only 16% of kids in Dublin participate in Gaelic games.
    The big story here is 40% of kids in Dublin participate in No Active Sport whatsoever. Lazy playstation addicts.. who do they think they are? Barry Ryan?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    In the 'soccer' club in my town, when we went for a Sports Capital grant we got €130,000 because we stood on our own merits. I'm sure other clubs at any level can make their own applications...

Nothing to do with the Minister being from Kerry? Every poxy little rowing club in Kerry at this stage has had hundreds of thousands of € thrown at it.

I dont doubt either that Racing and greyhounds deserve grants but the amount of money that has been given to them is actually obscene in my book.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Nothing to do with the Minister being from Kerry? Every poxy little rowing club in Kerry at this stage has had hundreds of thousands of € thrown at it.

I dont doubt either that Racing and greyhounds deserve grants but the amount of money that has been given to them is actually obscene in my book.
    So how much did the Kerry League get?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eoinh
    Whatever about the GAA Bigots (which I think I've said enough on the Croke Park thread), the money for Racing and Greyhounds is ridiculous. They're profitable businesses ffs, that are already doing well. They don't need financial help. I doubt Biffo's going to do anything about the stud fees exemption either (like introducing a maximum tax free earnings level at the very least).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.