Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Caulfield: "Why aren't teams in Dublin marketing their clubs?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    From experience it is not easy to get people to go to games, so getting families into grounds is important. Agree that price is a factor and the Pats crowd is particularly sad. Saw them play last night first time this year and its still the Buckley way. Cabinteely seemed to have a good family atmosphere when I visited there for League Cup game against Shamrock R.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Cabinteely said they were awfully disappointed with their crowd on Friday night, but expected a lower attendance because of the bank holiday weekend. There's a nice family feeling to the place, the club are very welcoming to away supporters and did well to accomodate a bar for us in the gym while there was a function booked in the bar there.
    (Most) fans mixed well and a there was good laugh on the terraces between the supporters.
    Cabinteely are certainly doing all the right things at the minute. If they'd only have something done with that pitch....holy sweet feck.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    From experience it is not easy to get people to go to games, so getting families into grounds is important. Agree that price is a factor and the Pats crowd is particularly sad. Saw them play last night first time this year and its still the Buckley way. Cabinteely seemed to have a good family atmosphere when I visited there for League Cup game against Shamrock R.
    With Sligo doing so badly this year, we'll probably end up with the 4th average highest attendance in the league this season.

That makes 'particularly sad' reading for the rest of the league

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    With Sligo doing so badly this year, we'll probably end up with the 4th average highest attendance in the league this season.

5th highest at best.
    On the back of the cup win last year I thought that Pats crowds would improve. One long time Pats fan ,who I know well, reckons that it's a combination of Buckley not being liked and players swapping every season with Rovers that has caused a lot of older fans to drift away.
    The same happened to Bohs during our period of Civil wars,, but I am seeing a lot of lapsed fans coming back now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    It is sad, it is particularly sad for St Pats in relative terms with recent league sucess and especially St Pats having dumped the cup hoodoo. Why would people dislike Buckley? He is almost too nice in post match interviews. Is it his Rovers past?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    [QUOTE=Nesta99;1. Why would people dislike Buckley? He is almost too nice in post match interviews. Is it his Rovers past?[/QUOTE]

Issues from when he was Rovers manager.Would be prudent to leave it at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    The Buckley thing is nonsense

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Their style of soccer deserves the 4/5 best crowds for sure, and Pats should also benefit from big away support later in the season.
    It is a pity Salthill Devon did not do sometime similar to what Cabinteely are attempting when they joined the league. The match programme at Stradbrook had adds from firms that you would not usually associate with the LoI market, do anyone know if it is a joint venture with the rugby club? The pitch there will improve I am sure during the rugger off season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Can't imagine anyone but the diehards care about such things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Agree. I'm not aware of any ill feeling from Pats fans to Bucko. He has created a super team since he's come back, and always comes across as a gent as far as I can see.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    It would take about 45mins to get from Phibsboro to Balbriggan if you're driving. If you get a bus it's well over an hour. Bare in mind that for a family of four it would be €40 (€15 adult €5child) add in petrol or bus fare it's €60 for before you buy food etc. That would discourage a lot of people from say Rush, Lusk, Skerries and Balbriggan from going to matches. When you think about how those towns have grown there's a lot of young fans. But places like Ballymun and Santry it isn't really an excuse. In fairness to the clubs they are trying to encourage people from the surrounding areas to go. Plus Dublin hasn't got that same drive provincial clubs and towns have. Even in GAA terms when you look at it, the country teams have a better fanbase than the Dubs
    45 minutes from Balbriggan to Dalymount ? via Athlone ? 20 euro petrol to get from Balbriggan to Dalymount ? Really ? but my favourite has to be 'country teams have a better fanbase than Dublin' whatever (little) credibility your argument had wiped out in a second.

...if you don't want to go to LOI just say so but quit with the fantasy excuses

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    JC was a brave man sitting in the main stand in Tallaght Friday night after this statement last week !!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Actually he gave Shamrock Rovers a pass and said it was the other teams that don't market themselves.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    It is a pity Salthill Devon did not do sometime similar to what Cabinteely are attempting when they joined the league.
    I don't think the members of Salthill Devon were ever really behind joining the LOI. It sucked the life out of the club. A few lads did it for their own gain, as far as I can see.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    45 minutes from Balbriggan to Dalymount ? via Athlone ? 20 euro petrol to get from Balbriggan to Dalymount ? Really ? but my favourite has to be 'country teams have a better fanbase than Dublin' whatever (little) credibility your argument had wiped out in a second.

...if you don't want to go to LOI just say so but quit with the fantasy excuses
    When country teams are doing well the gates go up. It's a fact. Cork, Sligo and Dundalk always get big crowds when they do well. It's easier for one town clubs to get a good support than a town with two or three teams. I was pointing out that Bohs and Shels are in the so-called 'Fingal area' and should be trying to tap into the Fingal area to grow their fanbase. But they will face those problems I've mentioned. But there isn't the same excuse for people in the city centre.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Too many clubs in Dublin! Kerry,Kilkenny etc with none. The FAI should be concentrating on these areas and getting teams into the league.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The FAI are to blame for a lot of things but the lack of interest in Kerry and Kilkenny isn't one of them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234