Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Manning D Southampton b.1996

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurcherLover View Post
    Russel Martin said he turned down two Premiership clubs in favour of Southampton.
    Probably Luton and Sheffield United. Unless Livramento or Walker Peters leaves this summer I don't see him starting come August. Walker Peters moved from RB to LB when they bought Livramento and would except both to start if neither leave this summer. Livramento is linked with Newcastle but wants assurances about playing time and Trippier I think captained them last season.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Probably Luton and Sheffield United. Unless Livramento or Walker Peters leaves this summer I don't see him starting come August. Walker Peters moved from RB to LB when they bought Livramento and would except both to start if neither leave this summer. Livramento is linked with Newcastle but wants assurances about playing time and Trippier I think captained them last season.
    If thats the case, I wonder the reasoning for turning down them clubs unless he's been told by Martin that he's guaranteed game time or something along them lines and/or see's himself getting more gametime with Southampton. I seen the Livramento/Newcastle link last week but nothing since. Would be beneficial from an Ireland perspective if it goes through obviously. Livramsnto to Newcastle, Larios loaned out, KWP back in RB and Manning ahead of Perraud at LB?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Probably deserved a call-up many times before that.
    And that's a good excuse for him to turn down call up this time?

Look I think he's fine, solid enough player who has never really impressed me any time I've watched. He's not very quick and I don't think he's a very good defender. He's is a good footballer given that he's a midfielder by trade, but I don't think he solves our left back problem
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    That doesn't mean we think he's the reincarnation of Cafu like
    Ah he kind of is though

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LurcherLover View Post
    Russel Martin said he turned down two Premiership clubs in favour of Southampton.
    Usually Irish ambition it seems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    726 Posts
    Seems a decent move though, assuming Southampton use their parachute payments to go straight back up. Though they don't seem the best run of clubs, so will wait and see how they get on.
    They were very effective at identifying high potential players who could keep them in a respectable league position and then sell for good money. The wheels came off that recently, as they inevitably will, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    442 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Usually Irish ambition it seems.
    Next season which one of Luton, Sheffield United, and Southampton is mostly to be a PL team? Not every move to the PL is a good move. Southampton is the better move if you want to be playing PL for a few years.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    And that's a good excuse for him to turn down call up this time?
    Who said it was?

Point is your sarky comment about people who thought he was going to Madrid was daft, even allowing for sarcasm/hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    They were very effective at identifying high potential players who could keep them in a respectable league position and then sell for good money. The wheels came off that recently, as they inevitably will, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.
    They had a change of ownership in early 2022 though, so I think that's played a good part in the wheels coming off. Which means that yeah, don't write off their promotion chances yet, but the possibility of a downward trend has to be there too.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 12/07/2023 at 8:23 AM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Who said it was?

Point is your sarky comment about people who thought he was going to Madrid was daft, even allowing for sarcasm/hyperbole.
    It was intended to be daft and a massive over exaggeration, while also making the point of how over rated he is by some. Your inability to understand that and getting upset cos "no one said he was going to Madrid" is pretty funny. Of course no one fcuking said that, cos he's a decent Championship level player at best. He's always the one people fart on about around squad time, because we always focus on players left out. O'Dowda wasn't great in Greece, although I blame Lenihan as much as him for the 2nd goal, but I don't think there's much difference between him and Manning. If either are picked it's a weakness in the defense that good teams can get at. Doherty is our best option there until someone like Adaramola or Bagan kicks on
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 12/07/2023 at 1:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    726 Posts
    If you want to make the point that Manning's transfer suggests he's not able to add much over O'Dowda, you could do that without picking an argument that makes everyone reading it dumber for the experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    If you want to make the point that Manning's transfer suggests he's not able to add much over O'Dowda, you could do that without picking an argument that makes everyone reading it dumber for the experience.
    A throw away joke was taken to heart by another poster, having to explain it was obviously stupid, but not my fault other people need it spelled out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    726 Posts
    So, when he ended his post with "(even allowing for hyperbole)", that suggests to you that he took it to heart? Could it be, just maybe, that you are also guilty of what you accuse him? Could it be that I am asking you to discuss the player without casting shade anyone who rates him differently from you, leading to stupid bickering?

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    So, when he ended his post with "(even allowing for hyperbole)", that suggests to you that he took it to heart? Could it be, just maybe, that you are also guilty of what you accuse him? Could it be that I am asking you to discuss the player without casting shade anyone who rates him differently from you, leading to stupid bickering?
    Apologies if I’m wrong Razor, but this is my take

Razor likes Stephen Kenny

Stephen Kenny doesn’t rate Ryan Manning

Some people criticise Stephen Kenny for not historically picking Ryan Manning

Razor uses Ryan Manning’s recent withdrawal from the squad as a covert tool to attack anti kennyites and the player himself

My view is Stephen is a utter idiot for not utilising Ryan Manning at any stage and Ryan Manning is bang out of other for pulling out of the last squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    It's actually nothing to do with Kenny to be honest. We have always manufactured outrage over certain players being left out. In my opinion the last time it was legitimately justified was Wes and Andy Reid being left out. There have been other players that people have gotten upset about since, I got annoyed that Hodge wasn't called up last year and I was was wrong.

The Manning thing annoys me because I believe he's in the same bracket as O'Dowda and McClean. They're grand, nothing to get upset about if one is picked over the other, but yet its made to be a bit topic when Manning isn't picked. Even today you can look at any sports page that's talking about Manning to Southampton and the majority of comments are about him not getting picked for Ireland as if he's a top end player.

And yet I think it's massively glossed over that he turned down a call up to this last squad. Everyone lost their mind about Tom Cannon and ignored Manning. Roy Keane still gets abuse "for turning his back on his country", yet we are supposed to be ok with Manning because he was left out previously so he's allowed have a sulk. Wes Houlihan as I said had the most legitimate grievance of recent years for being left out and yet he turned up whenever he was picked.

Diggs you say that Kenny is an utter idiot for not using him more, that's an opinion. We all have players we like more than others, I like Idah more than most, but I can also agree that Idah is of a similar level to all our options other than Ferguson right now and it's not a scandal when he's not picked. Manning is a Championship player being kept out by 2 other Championship left backs and an a Premiership right back who can double as left back. I don't think that warrants labeling anyone as an utter idiot for not picking him regularly. And by the way, he has been called up to squads, maybe in those training sessions he hasn't impressed, he hasn't impressed me much when I've seen him play games.

So no, its nothing to do with pro or anti Kenny, it's frustration at nonsense.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    It's actually nothing to do with Kenny to be honest. We have always manufactured outrage over certain players being left out. In my opinion the last time it was legitimately justified was Wes and Andy Reid being left out. There have been other players that people have gotten upset about since, I got annoyed that Hodge wasn't called up last year and I was was wrong.

The Manning thing annoys me because I believe he's in the same bracket as O'Dowda and McClean. They're grand, nothing to get upset about if one is picked over the other, but yet its made to be a bit topic when Manning isn't picked. Even today you can look at any sports page that's talking about Manning to Southampton and the majority of comments are about him not getting picked for Ireland as if he's a top end player.

And yet I think it's massively glossed over that he turned down a call up to this last squad. Everyone lost their mind about Tom Cannon and ignored Manning. Roy Keane still gets abuse "for turning his back on his country", yet we are supposed to be ok with Manning because he was left out previously so he's allowed have a sulk. Wes Houlihan as I said had the most legitimate grievance of recent years for being left out and yet he turned up whenever he was picked.

Diggs you say that Kenny is an utter idiot for not using him more, that's an opinion. We all have players we like more than others, I like Idah more than most, but I can also agree that Idah is of a similar level to all our options other than Ferguson right now and it's not a scandal when he's not picked. Manning is a Championship player being kept out by 2 other Championship left backs and an a Premiership right back who can double as left back. I don't think that warrants labeling anyone as an utter idiot for not picking him regularly. And by the way, he has been called up to squads, maybe in those training sessions he hasn't impressed, he hasn't impressed me much when I've seen him play games.

So no, its nothing to do with pro or anti Kenny, it's frustration at nonsense.
    Utter idiot was too far and I withdrawthat actually
    In relation to "Manning is a Championship player being kept out by 2 other Championship left backs and an a Premiership right back"
    Manning was on the championship team of the season
    The premisership right back is needed at right back and James mcclean isnt the player he was. I assume the second player is O'Dowda ? well unless Greece was just a bad day at the office then im not sure about him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Yeah I was talking about O'Dowda, he was poor in Greece, but he was good in other games before that, and as I've said I give Lenihan just as much blame for the goal as O'Dowda.

Edit: and yes Manning was in team of season, I still don't think he's a good defender, but as I keep saying it's not that he's been completely ignored. He was picked and he is the one who refused to turn up.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 12/07/2023 at 3:19 PM. Reason: Adding to thought

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The premisership right back is needed at right back and James mcclean isnt the player he was. I assume the second player is O'Dowda ? well unless Greece was just a bad day at the office then im not sure about him.
    All our usual wing-backs - McClean, Brady, Stevens, Doherty and Coleman - are getting on and we urgently need to work out who the replacements are. For the last while, it seems Browne and O'Dowda are in pole position there, but I think they're both playing out of position at wing-backs.

Meanwhile, yeah, one of the best performers in that position in the Championship regularly gets overlooked for a place in the squad, let alone the team. And you could add in McNamara or others too.

If Southampton come back up - as teams with parachute payments often do - I think he's done alright. And I agree with JR that Southampton could turn out to be a better move than Premier Luton/Sheffield United in the medium term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,645 Posts
    Assist for Manning today as its 1-1 against Sinclair Armstrongs QPR.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Assist for Manning today as its 1-1 against Sinclair Armstrongs QPR.
    Another assist

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    This guy is not the answer. Poor start again for Southampton tonight. Is there a worse defense in the championship right now?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast