Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Great season/Shelbourne/Targets?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great season/Targets?

Just an end of season well done to all the lads and management with City.We have qualified for the U.E.F.A Cup and the Setanta Cup next season which will be fantastic for the club and fans.Well done to Brian Lennox and Pat Dolan for a great season...

It looks like we only need a couple of players.Definetly a right sided midfielder.As i said last season i would think Robbie Doyle would be a great signing for this position.

Anyway again well done to all at Cork City FC........
    Last edited by RedX; 20/11/2004 at 11:08 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is a thread I was going to start, but you got in before me!
    The targets of the club for next season include matters outside of its direct control. The ones I suggest are:
    1. A willing and competent group of volunteers with at least one with travel agency professional experience, to plan a charter flight to every European away game. I believe we can achieve 1000 supporters if the price and travel times are right. This may involve a same-day return trip to facilitate people who have to get to work the following morning, no matter what condition they are in.
    2. A fixtures policy that guarantees that no club has to bunch domestic and European fixtures together, like happened to us and Longford and Shels.
    3. Related to the previous point, flexibility in the fixtures to prevent long gaps between games. No club should have to go for a full month without a game.
    4. Referees that are not living within 100 miles of any club they referee. Import them if necessary from other countries. I suspect that Ryanair would step in to provide free or cheap seats, to cash in on the rising public popularity of the domestic league.
    5. Payment for referees, to up the standard.
    6. An injection for Dan Murray to give him a repeat dose of whatever he took before the game last night.
    I realise that many of these idea require the Eircom League backroom tw@ts to listen to the CCFC club delegates. But I believe that no other club would want things to be otherwise if they were in the same position that we were in this season.
    Last edited by Fair_play_boy; 20/11/2004 at 11:08 PM.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Overall it was a good season for CCFC. I think the bad run we had after the Intertoto Cup recked our chances of winning the league. I really looking forward to the Setanta Cup. When does that begin does anyone know? It should be a great tourament.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Well said Fair Play Boy. But recent events at the FAI and their unbelievable arrogance in the face of government and public criticism suggests that CCFC may well end up being trapped between an inflexible fixture schedule and UEFA scheduling again. CCFC's support for the last chief executive suggests that we have few friends within the FAI. If the supporters of the club stay loyal and Brian and Pat continue the progress however, we can overcome the FAI and become the best club in Ireland north or south. I wonder if the supporters club could contact the munster rugby supporters club and look at organising insurance and regular charter services for our supporters jointly with them. The combined volume might bend the ear of the travel industry. Thanks to footie ie for the service and Rebel Army people wherever ye might be for the season that was in it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While it was a great season and all in the end, I dont share the overall optimism the rest of you seem to have. We still need a couple of players to compete, namely a right winger and a footballing centre half. If JOF does'nt come back next season as sharp as he used to be then I'd add a stiker to that list as well.

Shels have robbed 3 of Bohs best players and still they were well above us last night. We can huff and puff all we want but we need a little more imagination and creativity before we can win the league.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd have to agree with Soko's sentiments. It's a real statement of intent by Shelbourne by signing 3 players recently.Murray played well last night but he's been very unsteady for a long time now. Since the injury O flynn has been mediocre and Doyle has been carrying the forward line for the last few months.We really are awful at set pieces-we need someone good in the air and please,please,please can we keep George away from corner kicks and free kicks in future. It was a very enjoyable season and even though I am not a Dolan fan I think we have played some good football in the latter half of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    4. Referees that are not living within 100 miles of any club they referee. Import them if necessary from other countries. I suspect that Ryanair would step in to provide free or cheap seats, to cash in on the rising public popularity of the domestic league.
    5. Payment for referees, to up the standard.
    #4: Simply unfeasible. Waterford is 90 miles from Dublin so that rules out O'Neill. That leaves you with Kelly and Buttimer to cover Pats, Shels, Bohs, Rovers, UCD and Bray. Not possible.

#5: They already get paid.
    Revenge for 2002

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

.................................................. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Nightdub
    #4: Simply unfeasible. Waterford is 90 miles from Dublin so that rules out O'Neill. That leaves you with Kelly and Buttimer to cover Pats, Shels, Bohs, Rovers, UCD and Bray. Not possible.

#5: They already get paid.

#7: Something has to be done about it .... the stanard is brutal, no more excuses for it ... the league needs ot tackle it and we'll benefit from it. End of !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Foot.ie! Effing Reffing

They already get paid.
    You could not seriously suggest that what the referees receive can be defined as payment! What they receive is a paltry expense allowance, even before you consider the responsibility they have.
    And before you come back and quote me figures, answer this question: do you seriously think that the standard of reffing is OK?
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No, of course I don't. Stevie Wonder could see that's the standard is woejus. In fact Stevie Wonder could do a better job of it than most of the clowns we're stuck with.

I know they only get expenses. Considering how few clubs can make going fulltime work, I doubt we're gonna see fully-professional refs in the LoI any day soon.

Fully-competent ones would be nice though.
    Revenge for 2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    You could not seriously suggest that what the referees receive can be defined as payment! What they receive is a paltry expense allowance, even before you consider the responsibility they have.
    And before you come back and quote me figures, answer this question: do you seriously think that the standard of reffing is OK?
    Every referee 'does it' for the love of the game. Allegedly.

Just to put things into perspective, Premiership referees last season received a £52,000 annual retainer, £1000 per match fee and any expenses on top of that.

I still say import referees for eircom league games. Perhaps then the threads on this site would be about the game, not the tw*t in the middle.
    Football is life. The rest is mere detail...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Fully-competent ones would be nice though.

It is a must at this stage ... Some games a really being dragged down because of the poor standard. The league needs to deal with this ASAP ..... a ref not shaking a managers hand, god above why is the guy still reffing .... it is totally unaccpetable and shouldn't be tolerated for a minute.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What we need is to not have referee's from Dublin officiating games between Cork City and any Dublin team.This is up to the league to sort out asap.There were up to 9,000 people at the X Friday night and if Ref Stokes had denied City winning the league i reckon there would have been a lot of trouble.The crowd knew from kick-off he was a Dublin official for possibly Citys biggest ever game.This is disgraceful and should not happen.We often here about players goal celebrations or even fans chanting inciting violence at games.Well when Cork people see Dublin ref's at the X when we are playing Dublin opposition its inciting more violence than anything else.You can get away with this when playing in front of 1,000 people around the country but not in front of huge crowds in Cork..
    Last edited by RedX; 21/11/2004 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    didnt get home from the match but listened on newstalk106fm with oisin langan and derek coughlan and they reckoned there would have been a riot if shels had lost and we had not won and stokes would have been lynched and they were not kidding
    save the sheep shaggers bring back beheadings for waherford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, when are youse gonna get over this paranoia about Dublin refs? Derry, Longford or Drogheda never bang on about it the way youse do. The problem isn't where the refs are from, it's the fact that they're sh1te.

FFS, apparently Stokes used to go watch Pats in Harolds Cross but all that means is that he gives everything against us for fear of being accused of favouritism.

This idea of insisting on a neutral ref for all Cork-Dublin matches would mean youse would have Jim O'Neill ref'ing fifteen of your thirty-three games next season. I didn't think any set of fans in the League would wish that on themselves.
    Revenge for 2002

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Dr.Nightdub]Lads, when are youse gonna get over this paranoia about Dublin refs?QUOTE]

Nightdub..i think you are missing the point about the way City fans feel about this..would you like to be playing Cork City with a Cork ref 3 or 4 times a season?..i dont think so..it has nothing to do with the fact the refs are Dubs..if we are playing Drogs we dont want a ref from Drogheda..if we are playing Derry we dont want a ref from Derry and so on..its the way leagues all over Europe are run and it will be a definte plus to enhance this league and make it better for new fans..this has been going on to long..and yes we like evryone else know that 99% of the refs in this league are terrible..

And by the way..Jimmy O Neill always gives a few decisions for us at the X...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Lads, when are youse gonna get over this paranoia about Dublin refs? Derry, Longford or Drogheda never bang on about it the way youse do. The problem isn't where the refs are from, it's the fact that they're sh1te.

FFS, apparently Stokes used to go watch Pats in Harolds Cross but all that means is that he gives everything against us for fear of being accused of favouritism.

This idea of insisting on a neutral ref for all Cork-Dublin matches would mean youse would have Jim O'Neill ref'ing fifteen of your thirty-three games next season. I didn't think any set of fans in the League would wish that on themselves.
    Doc, i don't buy into the idea that all dublin refs are anti-city. The only thing is that having this situation always means there is that doubt. For the sake of fairness and being seen to do the right thing, it should be a neutral ref. Why not Alan Kelly so? There are 2 league teams in Cork, so he wouldn't necessarily favour City. but no, the Dublin clubs would NOT stand for that, You know it, and so do I. So why should we have to put up with it? Its more about being seen to be fair than anything else. As for Stokes, he's the one I really have a problem with- that was the 4th penalty he gave against this season as far as I can remember, thats not coincidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Lads, when are youse gonna get over this paranoia about Dublin refs?
    I agree that in general the referrees are poor rather than biased. For the most part, they allow both sets of fans reason to grumble after a game.

Stokes is a different kettle of fish though, along with being a poor ref, the man has refused to shake hands with Dolan, which to my mind suggests that he's got a personal problem with our manager. If that is the case, he shouldn't be allowed to ref City games.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts

Talking

The worst ref in the league is alan kelly he has been built up as something special when in fact he is as bad as any of them. CHAMPIONEE CHAMPIONEE ARE WE ARE WE ARE WE. . ps hard luck on friday was watching and felt terrible after wards.It would of been much better for the league if yis had won.