Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland (A); 14th November, 2014; Ticket Exchange Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Delaney calling the SFA statement a "joke" is rich; the SFA provided the FAI with the mandatory allocation.

UEFA have allegedly expressed "slight concerns" over the prospect of so many Irish fans in the home section: http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...lic-of-ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    surely the FAI should be making representations that larger % away allocations should be made available to the bigger supported nations. the recent reduction to 5% has resulted in a large number of away fans appearing in the home end at many a match. surely with all the TV money UEFA have landed a better TV product would be provided by having a better atmosphere at matches with larger away supports?

the FAI has handled the whole thing badly but they had very little room to move within the tiny allocation received. the SFAs policy of keeping our allocation to the 5% yet at the same time willingly sell home end tickets to us is baffling

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    If they rang me offering those tickets I'd probably accept. I still need 3 and I'd happily take those corporate seats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Ticket row takes another turn as fans reject John Delaney's claims': http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30706329.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ger Keville

But Ireland fans have tonight strongly rejected Delaney’s claims, saying that the real issue is how the 3,200 tickets were distributed, not the initial allocation.

A statement released through YouBoysInGreen.ie tonight read: “While we agree with the FAI that an increased allocation was a preferable solution, this does not avoid the serious questions which have arisen over the systemic failure of the FAI ticketing in this case.

“Mr Delaney claimed that you need “the wisdom of Solomon to allocate tickets fairly”. This is clearly incorrect. All the FAI need to do is implement a clear and transparent ticketing policy and allocation system.

“Our upcoming opposition, Scotland, have such a ticket system in place. The FAI have repeatedly failed to implement such a system and now some of their most loyal fans are missing out on the biggest game in years.

“There has been widespread acceptance that the FAI were in a difficult position due to the level of interest in this game. The absence of a clear and transparent system and the inability of the FAI to adequately explain how many season tickets holders with extensive away records were rejected for tickets has led many to question the Association.”

According to BBC journalist Tom English on tonight’s Matt Cooper Show, the SFA believe Delaney has behaved ‘irresponsibly’ in directing the blame towards the Scots.

English also insisted that the game will be a sell out and the only reason there are still tickets on sale is because the SFA only release the final few thousand in batches on their website to create web traffic.

“They didn’t have to give Ireland anymore tickets. They complied with FIFA regulations in giving five per cent,” said English.

“They will sell these tickets in a heartbeat. They release them later on through their website to generate more traffic.

“It’s laughable for John Delaney to say they can’t sell it out. They can sell it out, it’s just the way they do it.”

According to one of English’s sources, the SFA think Delaney has behaved irresponsibly.

“The SFA feel Delaney behaved irresponsibly,” added English.

“By playing up security issues, he was trying to cover his own back, trying to shift the blame and the SFA are not having any of it.”

Going forward, Delaney has acknowledged that mistakes were made and they will be rectifies for future games.

"There is learning for us and I accept that mistakes were made," added Delaney.

"One of the guys inside the FAI just said to me the other day 'I took my eye off the ball' in certain cases and I have to accept that mistakes are made.

"What I tried to do in the Association was to rectify the situation over the weekend by buying corporate tickets at £125 and selling them back for £45."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    This isn't quite damning evidence yet though. Delaney is right to say that while the SFA allocation was one problem, another very clear problem was the FAI's way of dealing with the shortfall. That is not the same as deflecting blame to the SFA. He did deflect the blame to ANOther in the FAI, rather than assume responsibility as CEO though. That's the big tick against Delaney in my view.

And I think Delaney is right to say the Scots have shown "bad manners" by refusing to increase the FAI allocation when the Scots hadn't sold theirs out - even if it's a technicality. "Bad manners" may not be the term I'd use myself but I see his point. The SFA can't be heralded as a model of a sound distribution policy when they are drip drip dripping tickets into the public for "web traffic" reasons - meaning Irish fans benefit at the expense of Scots who would supposedly have bought them if the SFA wasn't vanely hung up on web visit numbers (allegedly, BBC source). Has nobody questioned the SFA methodology? They fcuking should.

Anyway, rumblings of an Arab Spring here? And nearly 25 years since Ceaucescu was "removed" from his post.

Just out of interest, who is more deserving of a ticket? A Block Booker of 25 years (so probably aged nearly 50 with a family) and semi-regular away tripper, or a season ticket holder of 6 years (so probably in his 20s with no kids etc) and regular away tripper. As a person in the first category I'd admit to thinking the second category is more deserving but it's not absolutely clear cut.

People bang on about today's recession but those conditions were the norm back in my day, when even going to Wembley was a boat and train and a 12 hour journey. You can fly to Georgia via BA today in half that time.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/10/2014 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Delaney does acknowledge mistakes were made and claims someone within the FAI admitted he took his eye off the ball. Of course, it must be stressed that Delaney wasn't personally responsible!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Why would the SFA be so concerned with generating web traffic? It's seems a pretty trivial concern, although I guess it would draw an extra few thousand hits at the very least. Is it that it helps promote or expose to a wider audience other aspects of Scottish football? Probably, but still unusual that they would hold tickets back solely to serve this purpose, surely?

Are restrictions on the sale of alcohol by shops and offies in Glasgow city centre envisaged on match-day? The police here often enforce a policy prohibiting city centre shops from selling alcohol on big match-days involving City or United. Do the Glasgow polis ever impose similar bans?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Are restrictions on the sale of alcohol by shops and offies in Glasgow city centre envisaged on match-day? The police here often enforce a policy prohibiting city centre shops from selling alcohol on big match-days involving City or United. Do the Glasgow polis ever impose similar bans?
    Usually there's a blanket ban rigorously enforced on street drinking. There's enough problems with locals, without adding 10k Irish who are never going to be universally welcomed in that city.

That said, clandestine purchases of some wee bottles of voddy and minerals, disguised as the latter or fruit juice, should do the trick.

Suspect the polis may be more lax up the Gallowgate, as they will undoubtedly push up all the Irish up there, but in the centre of town, no way.
    They may even shut all the offies, will have to ask my local contacts.

And if you want a drink after in town, strictly no colours AFAIK.
    Will check that detail also.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    If they rang me offering those tickets I'd probably accept. I still need 3 and I'd happily take those corporate seats.
    With respect, why don't/didn't people buy them from the SFA website?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    They will sell these tickets in a heartbeat. They release them later on through their website to generate more traffic.

this statement is nonsense. as tickets were released on the SFA website this week they were not snapped up and many of the same tickets remained available for hours or days. its only this morning that there appears to be none on sale although this could well change again during the day

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    With respect, why don't/didn't people buy them from the SFA website?
    My mates didn't want to risk sitting with locals basically, and were hanging on for an official away ticket.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    My mates didn't want to risk sitting with locals basically, and were hanging on for an official away ticket.
    the more i think of it id say there will be 10,000 Irish / scots irish in the home end. no risk of hassle and a great atmosphere.
    cant go myself but have spent the week teasing myself looking at SFA tickets and high flight costs just in case circumstances change!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah, but as the following post and various others mention, plus the JD fiasco, shows there's no chance of 'official tickets', just take whatever's going from the SFA. The chances are they'll be next to Irish people anyway, if that's such a massive factor?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the more i think of it id say there will be 10,000 Irish / scots irish in the home end. no risk of hassle and a great atmosphere.
    cant go myself but have spent the week teasing myself looking at SFA tickets and high flight costs just in case circumstances change!
    What about trying a bus/boat combo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    What about trying a bus/boat combo?
    thanks. cant go till the Friday and getting up to Larne, across and then up to Glasgow is too much on the day of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    This article (dated today) is saying there are still 20,000 tickets available: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30706990.html

Surely that can't be right?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    If you wear colors around this town after this game, you are running the risk of getting your head kicked in.

When I was in Edinburgh during the time of Celtic's European Qualifiers at Murrayfield I was warned about going out in town during the day wearing blue runners, blue shorts and blue shirt (coincidence) and sure enough I did get a few hostile glances.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...2016-qualifier

Will put that there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Yeah, but as the following post and various others mention, plus the JD fiasco, shows there's no chance of 'official tickets', just take whatever's going from the SFA. The chances are they'll be next to Irish people anyway, if that's such a massive factor?
    Not a factor for me personally.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    When I was in Edinburgh during the time of Celtic's European Qualifiers at Murrayfield I was warned about going out in town during the day wearing blue runners, blue shorts and blue shirt (coincidence) and sure enough I did get a few hostile glances.
    colour blocking is all the rage in Edinburgh. They frown on the less fashion conscious, especially foreigners.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    If you wear colors around this town after this game, you are running the risk of getting your head kicked in.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...2016-qualifier

Will put that there.
    Colors Yes, colours No.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast