Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It just doesn't make sense.

If it was a settlement to avoid legal action, why would the FAI have had to pay it back (until it was written off on account of Ireland failing to qualify for the 2014 World Cup)?

If it was a loan, then what about the supposed merits of the mysterious legal case and why do the FAI say the only condition was confidentiality?

It can't be both a loan and a settlement, can it?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It said on the news that the money just went towards the Aviva Stadium project and was fully reflected in their accounts/reports, according to the FAI.
    Who actually gets to see these accounts/reports? Are they made public?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    FAI statement on Blatter's departure here: http://www.fai.ie/domestic/news/fai-...tter-departure

Quote Originally Posted by FAI.ie
    The Football Association of Ireland today welcomed the news that FIFA President Sepp Blatter has decided to step down.

Speaking today FAI CEO, John Delaney said,

“This is good news for world football and not before time. These are changes that we had called for and had hoped would come. We believe there is now an opportunity for real change and reform at FIFA.

“ It is important that this opportunity to change the culture within FIFA at the highest levels is not passed up.”
    As Dan McDonnell noted on Twitter, "no mention of the horrible cyberbullying Sepp has been subjected to on Twitter"...

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Who actually gets to see these accounts/reports?
    The independent auditors of course, can't get any more transparent than that.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    He should have held out for 6 million.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It just doesn't make sense.

If it was a settlement to avoid legal action, why would the FAI have had to pay it back (until it was written off on account of Ireland failing to qualify for the 2014 World Cup)?

If it was a loan, then what about the supposed merits of the mysterious legal case and why do the FAI say the only condition was confidentiality?

It can't be both a loan and a settlement, can it?
    It can be whatever the FAI determine it is until some degree of transparency develops. Even making the sports news over here in Oz. My sheer disrespect for this leadership grows even more. Please God, someone challenge Delaney and get rid of him. I know it's not going to happen sometime so, but we live in hope.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Making news everywhere. I'm remembering that play-off, watching it in a packed pub in Maynooth, and the sheer rage that enveloped everyone. Ireland would never - and I maintain, should never - have gotten a replay, but for the FAI to accept such a pitiful pay-off to quash any bad PR is just revolting. It isn't bad enough that Delaney is just generally incompetent and a buffoon, but he just doesn't care about football at all, just how much he can squeeze from the institutions surrounding it. He's like a parish pump Independent in a hung Dail, gleefully accepting every scrap sent his way by the people in charge until it no longer suits him. A leader with balls would have told the world "FIFA just tried to shut us up for 5 million".

Rotten, rotten, rotten.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    I'm not too bothered by it.

He got 5 million by whinging and blustering which we otherwise wouldn't have got at all (I don't think there can have been any legal case that would have achieved much).

It would be nice to be sure where it went though.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    It can be whatever the FAI determine it is until some degree of transparency develops. Even making the sports news over here in Oz. My sheer disrespect for this leadership grows even more. Please God, someone challenge Delaney and get rid of him. I know it's not going to happen sometime so, but we live in hope.
    Fran Rooney anyone?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I'm not too bothered by it.

He got 5 million by whinging and blustering which we otherwise wouldn't have got at all (I don't think there can have been any legal case that would have achieved much).

It would be nice to be sure where it went though.
    You think it's ok to accept money for no apparent reason from the governing body? 5m which didn't warrant a note in the FAI statement of accounts. I mean it's unethical just for starters.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    You think it's ok to accept money for no apparent reason from the governing body? 5m which didn't warrant a note in the FAI statement of accounts. I mean it's unethical just for starters.
    This is kind of how I feel I should feel. But I'm with osarusan: we got 5 million we would otherwise never have gotten (the legal case was surely a non-starter).

Doesn't take away from the fact that Sepp is a blight on football, but I think that's a decent day's work from JD. Would be nice to know where it went, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    This is kind of how I feel I should feel. But I'm with osarusan: we got 5 million we would otherwise never have gotten (the legal case was surely a non-starter).
    So we got 5m for no reason, from the governing body , but it's ok because we wouldn't have got a cent from a court case! That is deeply troubling for me anyway, especially since we didn't have the financial wherewithall to take a court case even if there was a basis for one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    You think it's ok to accept money for no apparent reason from the governing body?.
    If they were stupid enough to offer it, why not?

After a bit of aimless posturing and being laughed at, Delaney must have been stunned by the offer of 5 million to go away and be quiet.

Sure, the whole thing stinks, but it would have stunk either way. This way, we got money from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    I agree. And I wish that FIFA and the FAI were above that sort of shady backhander. But that's how FIFA work, and we're only a small country. Look at England - even they couldn't stand up to FIFA on their own. I think it's reprehensible, disappointing, and goes against the spirit of the sport. But that's the game, with FIFA in charge.

That said, the clubs in Ireland who've gone bust/needed funding/struggled since then, and those who've won (fairly ordinary) prize money can legitimately wonder where the cash went.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    If they were stupid enough to offer it, why not?

After a bit of aimless posturing and being laughed at, Delaney must have been stunned by the offer of 5 million to go away and be quiet.

Sure, the whole thing stinks, but it would have stunk either way. This way, we got money from it.
    Ah come off it. That's mental. You can't accept 5m from a governing body an bury it in your accounts. I can't be the only one who smells something can I ?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Ah come off it. That's mental. You can't accept 5m from a governing body an bury it in your accounts. I can't be the only one who smells something can I ?
    The quid pro quo that has been mentioned was that Ireland drop any legal action over the Henry hand ball. That sounds bizarre but if FIFA were willing then I'd say yes. Possibly it came after Blatter tried to publicly humiliate the FAI.
    If there was any other realistic quid pro quo, then you have to present those possibilities.
    The waste is if the money just went on the Lansdowne rd bill, however there was no corruption.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    It's absolutely and utterly wrong, and an attitude of "Ah sure, that's just the way these things are done" is part of the reasons FIFA has gotten to the point it has reached. In Irish terms, Delaney should be gone for a start, because this is a bribe by any other name.

"No corruption", but they don't mention it at the time, and only start talking about it as a weird stick to beat Blatter with once he's quit? Come on.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 05/06/2015 at 12:01 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    No corruption from a FAI perspective, the money is accounted for, I presume there were no handling fees extracted.
    You haven't remotely offered any evidence relating to FAI corruption except the FAI didn't talk about it.
    According to the FAI "the settlement was made without any conditions other than confidentiality.”
    Is the corruption, that the FAI stuck to the terms of the settlement?
    Is it much different than the FAI accepting money from O'Brien to sponsor 50% of the management fees?

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    It stinks of f**king hypocrisy accepting it

Delaney should have told Blatter to shove his 5 million up his arse.

It doesnt make a difference how much it meant to adding to the balance - it was an underhanded payoff and Delaney accepting it, just adds to everything else that already makes football so bloody corrupt

By any chance -did our "saviour" john happen to mention what the money was invested in?
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quite frankly BOTN, that's just emotional agenda nonsense.
    FIFA were not buying anything from the FAI, there was no corrupt quid pro quo.

Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast