Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Richie Sadlier gave his take on the affair to RTÉ on 'Saturday Sport': http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...chard-sadlier/

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ.ie
    Former Ireland international and RTÉ Soccer analyst Richard Sadlier has said it is “very difficult to believe at any level” that FAI chief executive John Delaney was unaware of the existence of a video of him singing a republican song or that his version of events wasn’t clear to the FAI by the time letters were sent to English newspapers denying he was in the video.

Speaking on RTÉ Sport’s Saturday Sport, Sadlier said the issue had moved on from Delaney’s singing of the song to how the emergence of the video had been dealt with.

“It’s moved on so much from a discussion around the rights and wrongs of singing that song. I think the way in which the FAI or John himself, has responded to the emergence of that video I think is even more the story now.

“Just to run through, briefly, what happened: this video emerged and Balls.ie put it online on Saturday morning [sic; Balls.ie say they published the video on the Friday night]. I think newspapers contacted the FAI for response and there was silence; the FAI said nothing.

“An FAI official or a spokesperson contacted the website directly, saying that there would be legal ramifications if it remained online, and denied that it was John. They said, ‘That’s not John Delaney in that video.’

“On Monday, legal letters were sent, on behalf of John Delaney, to two major newspapers in England, again repeating – they said ‘My client’s position is that it’s not him in that video.’

“Now, if John Delaney ever stated that position to any lawyer, then he is lying.”

Questioned whether the legal letter was sent on behalf of Delaney or the FAI, Sadlier said: “The wording of the legal letter was, ‘It is my client’s position that it is not him.’ It’s a personal ‘him’, so it’s referring to an individual.

“So we’re going to assume that at some point John Delaney must have stated that position or someone maybe without John Delaney’s knowledge whatsoever, on Monday evening, made this claim on his behalf.

“So what that version of events seems to suggest is that, despite the FAI knowing on Saturday morning of the existence of this video, that on Monday evening, more than 48 hours later, John Delaney still hadn’t been made aware of the video, or his version of events was still unclear to his colleagues in the FAI.

“I find that very difficult to believe at any level: that two and a half days after a video would emerge online, that John Delaney wouldn’t clearly state whether it was him or not.”

Sadlier dismissed as a side issue Delaney’s mentions of “things in his personal or the personal life of people he’s in a relationship with” – an apparent allusion to the cyber-bullying Delaney mentioned.

“I’m talking about him in his position as the FAI CEO and the handling of the organisation, of the FAI, of this story, which, I think, has been nothing short of calamitous, from the whole week. I mean, it’s just an exhibition in how you don’t manage a controversy, a crisis, a PR issue, whatever you want to describe this as. It’s been a really bad week, the majority [of which was] their own making.”

On Thursday FAI President Tony Fitzgerald issued a statement in which the FAI Board gave Delaney its backing.
    Sadlier agreed that Delaney’s statement on Tuesday had indicated that he, Delaney, did not know about the initial mis-identification because he was “un-contactable”, but said: “I’d wonder, then, where’s his priorities? If three days had passed – my own view is that I find it staggering that none of his colleagues in the FAI would actually ask him, go: ‘John, is that you in the video?’

“Someone in the FAI contacted Balls.ie on Saturday morning and said, ‘That’s not John Delaney in the video.’ That’s a matter of record and no-one’s disputing that. So that official then was acting, having not contacted John, which I find – is that the way, is that the working of the FAI these days? Is that how they deal with issues like this?”
    He also had a write-up in the Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30785095.html

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Sadlier
    John Delaney's position as CEO of the FAI is no longer tenable. If people within the FAI see it differently, it is because they can't tell the difference anymore.

The last seven days have been particularly damaging but there's a cumulative effect now which can't be ignored. This involves far more than singing about IRA hunger strikers.

The response to the emergence of the video should have been swift and clear: an immediate, unequivocal apology. A statement of support could have followed from the board, albeit one that reminded their CEO of the responsibilities of his role.

Instead there was confusion, contradiction, and embarrassment. It was a spectacular example of how not to deal with a crisis with Delaney leading from the front. He seemed more concerned with talking about his girlfriend's experience of reading unpleasant things about herself on the internet. He even cited his efforts in this area as the reason he was uncontactable on Monday evening when there may have been "confusion" around the background and content of the video.

When the FAI did respond with a statement on Wednesday evening from president Tony Fitzgerald, it bizarrely began by referencing cyber-bullying. Fitzgerald said he was happy to bring this matter to a close without even mentioning the issue that really mattered.

Behind the scenes there was a botched attempt to suppress the video footage through erroneous denials to websites and communications from law firms threatening legal action. It is unclear whether Delaney was involved in either, but the wording of the legal letter to The Guardian on Monday suggests he may have been. "My client's position is that it is not him in the video," suggests that at some point Delaney had expressed this position. If this was the case, he was lying.

Of course, without knowing for sure, let's consider the possibility that the law firm was incorrect. Maybe they somehow got their wires crossed and Delaney never said it wasn't him, but it would be surprising for him not to clarify this in public if that was the case. Surely being portrayed as a liar would be something you would refute if you knew it to be untrue?

Acting in a dishonest way to save you own skin while bringing the name of the organisation you run into disrepute is a charge that would finish most people. Not John Delaney, though. Not when you consider the political make-up of the FAI. Not when you factor in the complete lack of alternatives within the Association to replace him if his position ever became available. The organisation is ideally structured for him to ride out controversies like this but that doesn't mean he should.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Good to see it hasn't gone away
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yeah, but as long as JD remains in post. That and his other actitivities...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Who says he has to be replaced from within the organisation?

In the pub last week my mates and I were suggesting Warren Deutrom, the Cricket Ireland CEO. There are lots of experienced sports and other senior organisation leaders capable of doing what's required. The organisation doesn't just need a new CEO though, it needs a complete revamp of its structures and workings. As Sadlier kind of said above (at least I'm extending the point he made) the organisation is ideally designed for a despot to take charge.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Who says he has to be replaced from within the country?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Nobody. The new CEO can come from anywhere or any organisation. He or she just needs to be vetted to make sure he or she isn't a sociopath.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Which calls to mind Gore Vidal's quote about how anybody considering running for President of the United States should immediately be disqualified. Disqualifying sociopaths from a job whose specs require a sociopath seems self-defeating.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    So no one could or had contacted him for 3 days?!

Even the song is starting to blind side people. It's the actions of Delaney and the FAI that are being questioned. Sadlier is spot on!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Something is either intrinsic to another thing or it isn't, and anti-Protestantism is not intrinsic to Irish republicanism. [I have removed some of the more political content and posted it here instead as I suspect tets isn't too keen on seeing it in this thread.] Even if what you said above were actually true, it wouldn't make Delaney's singing of 'Joe McDonnell' an anti-Protestant gesture.

Godwin's law?... I think you're blowing things out of proportion a bit now.
    Touchy subject for you because of where you are from I understand but Delaney's behaviour was skirting the lines of good taste. Josip Simunic got banned from the World Cup for not much more than what Delaney did, and he isn't the Chief Executive of a Football Organisation. There are plenty of Croats who thought he was doing nothing wrong either. There are plenty of Rangers & Celtic fans & representatives who think their banter is harmless when UEFA would have different opinions about it.

There is no place for it in football, Danny.

And I have family links to Greystones in Wicklow so I have a very precise idea of what several Protestant born Irish fans think about it.

EDIT: What Delaney done would be acceptable if he was a fan IMO. It is not acceptable for someone in his position.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 01/12/2014 at 2:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Danny's from Donegal. Why would that matter?

I'm from Dublin. I'm of protestant stock with Fermanagh provenance.

Stutts is from Dublin.

SvD is from Derry.

AB is from Louth.

None of that matters. None of us seemingly found the song offensive or were touchy about it. All of the issues stem from the unprofessional nature and retarded handling of the whole affair.

TOWK, you're talking through your hat again and besides the conversation has now moved on since those statements were made. Do keep up chap.

It seems you've been blindsided by the singing of the song.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 01/12/2014 at 3:02 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Danny's from Donegal. Why would that matter?

I'm from Dublin. I'm of protestant stock with Fermanagh provenance.

Stutts is from Dublin.

SvD is from Derry.

AB is from Louth.

None of that matters. None of us seemingly found the song offensive or were touchy about it. All of the issues stem from the unprofessional nature and retarded handling of the whole affair.

TOWK, you're talking through your hat again and besides the conversation has now moved on since those statements were made. Do keep up chap.

It seems you've been blindsided by the singing of the song.
    And Im the man from Mullingar!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    And Im the man from Mullingar!

Never had a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    If anything, TOWK understates: many fans (from all corners of Ireland, and beyond) will feel uncomfortable and/or angry about the specific song JD was singing. Obviously that doesn't mean they ignore the many other valid criticisms of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Peter O'Reilly and Mark Tighe co-authored a piece on the issue in yesterday's Sunday Times where they'd obtained a quote from some spokesman or other from Our Wee Country saying that Delaney must lose his position over this. I thought it was a pity because it's not really his place to be making those sort of demands. I'd find it very inappropriate if somebody spoke on behalf of YBIG about the suitability of whoever is in charge of the Nordie association.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    If anything, TOWK understates: many fans (from all corners of Ireland, and beyond) will feel uncomfortable and/or angry about the specific song JD was singing. Obviously that doesn't mean they ignore the many other valid criticisms of him.
    Any lack of comfort I feel about JD singing that song has nothing to do with the content of the song.
    The lionization of hunger-strikers is an issue that I have as have many people, but let's be clear, and again we have to keep re-iterating this; the issue is not the song, it is not that he may have been drunk.
    The issue is that over the course of some days last week the FAI (no doubt on his behalf) issued legal threats to media outlets AND also denied it was JD in the video at one stage. That is on top of a statement purporting to be from the FAI treating a private matter of Emma English as a matter for the FAI. It's just not on.

The President's follow-up statement again glorified St John's wonderful contribution and how he is deserving of a 6 year extension to his contract.

In any other organisation (outside of Ireland granted) he would have been long gone. As it stands he is still hanging on. This should have been the nail in the coffin for him at the FAI but it wasn't.

---

I would sooner have the YBIG lads represent me than any of the OWC heads in fairness.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Touchy subject for you because of where you are from I understand but Delaney's behaviour was skirting the lines of good taste. Josip Simunic got banned from the World Cup for not much more than what Delaney did, and he isn't the Chief Executive of a Football Organisation. There are plenty of Croats who thought he was doing nothing wrong either. There are plenty of Rangers & Celtic fans & representatives who think their banter is harmless when UEFA would have different opinions about it.

There is no place for it in football, Danny.

And I have family links to Greystones in Wicklow so I have a very precise idea of what several Protestant born Irish fans think about it.

EDIT: What Delaney done would be acceptable if he was a fan IMO. It is not acceptable for someone in his position.
    I wouldn't say it's a particularly touchy subject for me, even if my background is northern. I can discuss it rationally without getting emotive and I think it is important to distinguish between Irish republicanism and brainless anti-Protestantism because there is a distinction.

Whilst I have no personal qualms with the song myself, I can acknowledge that it has/had the potential to stir controversy and provoke unnecessary embarrassment and bad publicity for the FAI. A CEO should be trying to avoid that sort of thing; maintaining good public relations plays a big role in the responsibilities of a CEO. As I said earlier in the thread, not even the Sinn Féin leadership would allow themselves to be recorded in pubs drunkenly singing some of the more militant rebel songs as it would simply stir avoidable bad press. Delaney's role entails being media savvy, and that includes being well aware of the risks of camera/video phones and social media. I'm sure Delaney's not ignorant to the numerous videos of him on YouTube boozing, cursing and chanting with the fans. He's more than happy to act the lad and have it publicised when it suits him.

Anyway, for the reason that the song had the potential to stir a significant deal of controversy, Delaney's actions displayed very poor judgment that was not befitting a CEO. Comparing it to the intentionally malicious behaviour and violence of Scotland's shame and sectarian Celtic fans is going a bit far, I think.

If your Protestant family/friends of the family feel intimidated by Irish republicanism as an ideology, that's a shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin
    Peter O'Reilly and Mark Tighe co-authored a piece on the issue in yesterday's Sunday Times where they'd obtained a quote from some spokesman or other from Our Wee Country saying that Delaney must lose his position over this. I thought it was a pity because it's not really his place to be making those sort of demands. I'd find it very inappropriate if somebody spoke on behalf of YBIG about the suitability of whoever is in charge of the Nordie association
    Is your unease because a semi-anonymous, unelected website moderator isn't accountable or unrepresentative? I'm fairly sure that on this issue most OWC contributors agree with him. Or just because he supports a different team? If the latter, I think this is unrealistic. Delaney is prominently involved in organising high-profile future fixtures against England and Scotland, and claims credit for his work in cross-border football in Ireland. This isn't a RoI domestic issue from OWC or the Daily Telegraph's POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Invincible
    I wouldn't say it's a particularly touchy subject for me, even if my background is northern. I can discuss it rationally without getting emotive and I think it is important to distinguish between Irish republicanism and brainless anti-Protestantism because there is a distinction
    It's a touchy subject for many, including me, most on OWC as above and many in the wider NI support. Some responses above aren't at all emotive, but they're no more rational as a result.

The problem here isn't republicanism or protestantism, but treating fairly recent paramilitary violence as an excuse for mawkish singalong. Not his only error of judgment, but clearly a big one. There's little point Bonnie reiterating that it isn't an issue, we just won't agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Is your unease because a semi-anonymous, unelected website moderator isn't accountable or unrepresentative? I'm fairly sure that on this issue most OWC contributors agree with him. Or just because he supports a different team? If the latter, I think this is unrealistic. Delaney is prominently involved in organising high-profile future fixtures against England and Scotland, and claims credit for his work in cross-border football in Ireland. This isn't a RoI domestic issue from OWC or the Daily Telegraph's POV.
    The latter. It's none of my business what the head of the IFA gets up to, nor am I interested. I wasn't interested when the IFA was a sectarian organisation in all but name either. None of my business. If his position was that he'd be opposed to his country arranging fixtures with the FAI, that'd be an understandable position and one he'd be a legitimate stakeholder in. Delaney might claim credit for his work in cross-border football but we all know full well he hasn't done any and won't do any in future. Again, Delaney is a bare-faced liar, but that's not really something that should concern a fan group of a foreign nation either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    GR, it is an issue. But not the most important one. So there's no point in continuing the pointless discussion about it.

The story has moved on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The latter. It's none of my business what the head of the IFA gets up to, nor am I interested. I wasn't interested when the IFA was a sectarian organisation in all but name either. None of my business. If his position was that he'd be opposed to his country arranging fixtures with the FAI, that'd be an understandable position and one he'd be a legitimate stakeholder in. Delaney might claim credit for his work in cross-border football but we all know full well he hasn't done any and won't do any in future. Again, Delaney is a bare-faced liar, but that's not really something that should concern a fan group of a foreign nation either.
    Your call, of course, but it just doesn't work in reverse. Many NI fans are interested in Delaney's antics, often to an obsessive degree. Biggest single reason is the Eligibility row. That could be shrugged off as embittered bigots just letting off steam, but the difference now is that they're enjoying what looks like becoming an extended soap opera. Not least as the NI media have been surprisingly quiet...

Bonnie- fine, as you've moved on you don't need to add anything.
    Last edited by Gather round; 01/12/2014 at 9:22 PM.

Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast