Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Georgie Praises Defence

thecorner

Georgie Praises Defence

FROM eleven-a-side

O’Callaghan makes case for the defence

October 29, 2004

Cork City playmaker George O’Callaghan has hailed his side’s defensive fortitude as the principal reason behind the Leesiders’ late season charge towards the top of the Premier Division table.

O’Callaghan’s future at Turners Cross looked in doubt after a much-publicized dispute with manager Pat Dolan last month, but his return to favour has coincided with City’s stunning recent run, which stretched to seven straight wins in Derry on Tuesday night.

But the former Port Vale man, who has been providing the ammunition for in-form front men Kevin Doyle and John O’Flynn, believes the back four and goalkeeper Michael Devine deserve a major chunk of the credit for the upturn in the club’s fortunes.

Cork have conceded just 27 goals to date this season, a record bettered in the Premier Division only by Longford Town, who have conceded 26 but have played two games less than stingy Cork.

The Leesiders have kept five clean sheets in their seven-game winning sequence and, ahead of tonight’s crunch title showdown with leaders Shelbourne at Tolka Park, O’Callaghan told the Irish Daily Star: “Michael produced several first-class saves to keep Derry out at the Brandywell and his input has been so important. And the back four has been really solid and I don’t think they have received the recognition they full deserve.”

thecorner
    now 6 clean sheets in 8 games....superb stuff

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats a great defensive record alright by anyone standards.

Mick Devine,who I have never been a huge fan of has been in tremendous form this year and he hasn't made hardly any blunders compared to recent years.Starting to derserve the name super Keeper.
    Chamon Mothafcuka......he heeee.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan Bennett great form is certainly whats keeping the defence together.

Greg and Hog have both been brilliant as well.

Unfortunatley, I dont feel that Dan Murray is a league title winning centre half. I thought he made some awful blunders again on Friday, and had it not been for sloppy Shels attack, and quick thinking by another team member, it would have cost City bad. That said, he did make some vital interceptions as well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary

Unfortunatley, I dont feel that Dan Murray is a league title winning centre half. .

im with you on that one

very awkward and seems to be an accident waiting to happen,never attacks the ball,keeps backing off.

AFAIK he is still not offered a new contract

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I know Dan Murray is getting a lot of stick lately and Benno would probably be our player of the year if Doyler wasn't so feckin good but is Dan that bad really.

I know he can make a few blunders every now and and then but every defender should be allowed a few gaffs.I still have great faith in Danny boy anyway and he has been the only member of our current back four who has been there constantly all season.We have the best defence in the league(if Longford leave in a couple of goals in the two games in hand they have over us)don't forget that.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by DolansWaistcoat
    We have the best defence in the league(if Longford leave in a couple of goals in the two games in hand they have over us)don't forget that.
    well dunno about anybody else but ill be hoping they leavw in fcuk all goals

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolans Waistcoat

is Dan that bad really?
    No, he is quite a good player, who I would love to have as a back-up, but I reckon that if City are to have genuine title aspirations over the next few years, that this position needs to be looked at.

Perhaps even a decent back-up player for Centre Back to keep the 2 of them on their toes. I know pople will say Derek Coughlna, but who is to say Derek will be the same player after being idle for a whole season.

I would love if City could get Colm Foley. Highly unlikely i know.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't care if they leave in 6 tomorrow night once they score 7.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme rebel
    I thought Dan Murray was our best player on Friday against Shels.
    I actually thought he was the least effective. Made some awful passes, misjudged a few headers.

As i said above, he also made some vital interceptions, but overall wasnt that good.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    I actually thought he was the least effective. Made some awful passes, misjudged a few headers.

As i said above, he also made some vital interceptions, but overall wasnt that good.
    I'd agree. I think Dan is a very player, but he just hasn't performed this season. He's capable of doing a lot better than he has. He may also be suffering from the lack of competition for places at centre half- anyone would get complacent when they know they won't be dropped. I'm with Gary, i'd love to see Colm Foley at the cross next season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think Dan has done well enough this season. I think he was low on confindence ever since he got those 2 og's against Shels at the start of the season. He also has come in for a lot of abuse from a section of the supporters.

I thought he did ok the other night. Sometimes though i'd prefer him to control the ball on his chest and play it on the ground instead of just heading it back to the opposition. We don't seem to be conceeding many goals and Dan must take some credit for this.