Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Cup Final Memories?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Cup Final Memories?

I'm showing my age but I remember when the FAI Cup final was one of the very few live football games on TV, along with the FA Cup final and international games.

For that reason I used to always watch it.

As a City fan the 1998 win was great to be at but they must have been two shocking games for neutrals.

One of my all time great sporting memories was Sligo beating Bohs in the 1983 final. It was their fifth Cup final and they'd never won. One nil down in the second half and two brilliant goals from Tony Stenson and Harry McLoughlin to win it.

I also remember Brian Gardner scoring with a great header in the 1980 final for Waterford v St. Pats.

Anyone else have particular memories?
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Stuarty Gauld scoring a penalty against Shels in 95 a week after missing a penalty in Athlone whcih cost us the League

Derry having something like 10,000 at the final and getting £IR13k of gate receipts. Plus ca change?
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    A pedant writes - That final was in Landsdowne I think.
    Last edited by paudie; 21/10/2004 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    1990 Cup Run, The Semis Vs. Derry and then that magic day in Lansdowne Road when we beat St. Francis 3-0. John Ryan Hat-Trick. MAGIC ! The whole town of Bray must have been at that match, it was unreal.

The 99 Final that went to 2 replays, our quarter finals that season also went to 2 replays and we then beat Shels on their own patch in the Semis.

Then there is the awful memory of being knocked out by Kilkenny this season

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Running after Pat Byrne as he paraded OUR trophy around dalymount in 87. Never thought that we would never see it again

Worst football day following the Hoops was 91 no question. Enjoyed 83 though

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

1982 Dalymount

Tony Ward played on the left wing for Limerick that day, and tore the Bohs defence apart.Brendan Storan scored from a corner, 1-0 to Limerick. Cup champions, beating Bohs in their own backyard in front of a packed house....bad memories, getting a flat tyre on the way home from Balbriggan after playing sleeping giants Glebe North a few years ago...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie

I also remember Brian Gardner scoring with a great header in the 1980 final for Waterford v St. Pats.
    RTE just showed a clip of that on the 1 o'clock news. Pats were wearing all-green - what was that all about? I remember seeing the game live on the box - must've had a B&W TV at the time!

Donie
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde
    RTE just showed a clip of that on the 1 o'clock news. Pats were wearing all-green - what was that all about? I remember seeing the game live on the box - must've had a B&W TV at the time!

Donie
    It was an awful shiny green as well!

I suppose most TV's would have B&W at the time so they couldn't have had Waterford and Pats both wearing dark shirts so the Blues wore white - if you know what I mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Bad - Losing 2-0 to Dundalk in 1977 - everyone was sur eit would be a scorleess draw and go to a replay. really hard to take.

66 - my mother was pregnant with me in Dalyer. Don't remember much about it but we were robbed.

71 throwing a tantrum but still been deemed too young to go to Dalymount. I actually can't remember us winning the cup just rememebr kicking up a fuss and wanting to go.

The great - 82, Brendan Storan - should have won it 3-0 but 1 was still sweet enough.

Strange one

Watching dundalk beat Sligo in 81 - put us in the UEFA Cup but still felt for sligo after yet another disappointment in the cup.

1990 for the crowd and the passion and colour of the Francis fans. Bray brought great support too.

Other Cup Memories

Losing 2-0 to Cork Hibs thnaks to 2 second half goals in the 73 semi final at flower Lodge. first was a dubious penalty and we looked like we could have held out.

Beating Shamrock Rovers in the previous round. So far the only time we've knocked them out of the Cup. Revenge for 65 & 66 and so sweet because nowhere on this planet are a team in green and white hoops hated so much by fans in blue and white.

Losing at home to non league Transport in 1974 lowest of the low.

Kilcohan Park 1977 - classic smash and grab 1-0 away win. Dave Kirkby's winner but Fitzy was unbelievable in goal.

Lourdes stadium 1978 - freezing cold, we lost 1-0 thnaks to Bill Atley disallowing Gerry Duggan's late goal for offside despite dribbling past the last defender

Milltown 1980 - 3-0 down to Waterford pulled them back to 3-2 in a replay and murdered them for the last 20 minutes but couldn't equalise.

Galway 85 in Athlone and Tolka too painful to recount how did we throw both those games away. 2 up in Tolka and then murdered them in Athlone only to lose in extra time to a freak goal.

Drogheda 89 - murdered them in Rathbane but held scoreless, scored in the first minute at United Park and threw it all away in the 2nd half.

94 Beating high flying Monaghan at Rathbane (I'm serious ) arriving in Sligo for the semi final to be told it was sold out. Still got in of course but quite a novelty. Losing to Billy Hamilton then.

losing 5-4 to rovers in Tolka can't remember the year exactly mid 90's.

Losaing to dundalk after 3 games in 99.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That game v Limerick was in 97 I think, first round. Brilliant match. I think it was 3-3 after 90 mins, then Limerick took lead, but Rovers scored twice late on in ET to win it. Great game, but of course we went out in next round down in Waterford.

Losing to Galway in 91 final has to be the worst for me. I thought all we had to do was turn up and we'd win.

The Bohs games in 94 in first round were great, although we lost in the second replay. The colour and atmosphere at these games were amazing. Was 10,000 at first game and I think 12,000 at second replay.

Cant forget the brilliant 3-0 win over Shels 3 years ago. Unfortunately lost to bohs in semi final.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paudie
    It was an awful shiny green as well!

I suppose most TV's would have B&W at the time so they couldn't have had Waterford and Pats both wearing dark shirts so the Blues wore white - if you know what I mean.
    Know what you mean ok, paudie, but, like, why didn't they wear all-red?

Pats fans??

Donie
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Bray v Harps in 1999 has to be the best fai cup final in many years. poor harps though having to travel down three times and then end up losing. what a classic match though...
    Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam, Harry and Liam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde
    Know what you mean ok, paudie, but, like, why didn't they wear all-red?

Pats fans??

Donie
    Maybe the teams couldn't agree to toss for jersies in case they lost and the other team had the "advantage" of wearing their own gear.

So they agreed to both wear change gear.

Bit like Man U v Benfica in 1968.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hibs in the 72 and 73 finals.

73, a glorious Summer day, and Miah scoring 3 to get revenge on Waahuurrfort for the previous week

73 replay, total downpour all day, and an exquisite piece of skill from Humphries to win it. I remeber this man in his 60's/70's down from Dubl;in who kept saying "God bless ya, Paddy Roche (shels keeper)" all during the game....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts