Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Croker - floodlights!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Croker - floodlights!!!

as a gaa fan as well, i'd love to see the match at Croker - 70 000 - all nearly behing the country! - not many french will travel id imagine!

One quick thing i noticed mightnt have been mentioned!

Game is on wed 7 September at 7.45 ----- Croker has no lights so dunno whats gonna happen??? have to be switched to a saturday game and with the hurling on round that time might be tough for the weekend!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    like the GAA are going to open it up I wouldnt even worry about floodlighting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    If the GAA were to open up Croke Park and if the F.A.I. were to switch the game then it could be played in the afternoon like we used to when Lansdowne had no lights.

I still think we'll play the french ar Lansdowne - haven't checked Paddy Power lately but last time they had it 3/1 on the game being in Croek Park.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    If the GAA were to open up Croke Park and if the F.A.I. were to switch the game then it could be played in the afternoon like we used to when Lansdowne had no lights.

I still think we'll play the french ar Lansdowne - haven't checked Paddy Power lately but last time they had it 3/1 on the game being in Croek Park.
    I remember seeing something before that even if the GAA agree to soccer and rugby being played in Croke Park, there were conditions attached to the planning permission that prevented midweek events and only a certain number of Saturday events.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Croker and Landsdowne happen to be unavailable for the French match it should be played at Dalymount, the true home of Irish soccer. Fill the place with 15,000 rabid real fans. No corporate freeloaders. Remember Kerrs observations re the away match with Albania in the Euros. I think there were about 12,000 there. Of course the FAI would complain about lost revenue etc but those squandering shysters need to wise up and accept that the reason why the Irish football team have no real home is down to them. A lot of money was made since the late eighties that they blew on consultants and experts to tell them Abbotstown was unfeasible. They took the amazing goodwill of the fans who travelled all over the map to support the team for granted and instead gave their attention to the AIB or whatever. Like many here I've only gotten tix for matches through a friend who works in the bank.

Playing the matches in Liverpool or Glasgow would be an insult. End of rant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbySands
    If Croker and Landsdowne happen to be unavailable for the French match it should be played at Dalymount, the true home of Irish soccer. Fill the place with 15,000 rabid real fans.
    What would qualify as a 'rabid real fan'?

Wearing: Leprechaun hat/suit, Green and White wig, Jesters hat, Celtic jersey?
    Carrying: plastic hammer or plastic shamrock?
    Knowing the words of: Ole. Ole or the chorus of The Fields of Athenry?
    Drinking: 8 to 10 pints before the match?
    Number of matches previously attended: Paris and/or Amsterdam?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a ridiculous post, I'm presuming this is tough in cheek and FYI abbotstown had nothing to do with the FAI. There were significantly more than 12k in the Albanian stadium. You assume wrongly that even if we did go to a smaller stadium thet corporates would still not get tickets and in any case who would decide who the 15,000 should be?

If Croker and Landsdowne happen to be unavailable for the French match it should be played at Dalymount, the true home of Irish soccer. Fill the place with 15,000 rabid real fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy
    What a ridiculous post, I'm presuming this is tough in cheek and FYI abbotstown had nothing to do with the FAI. There were significantly more than 12k in the Albanian stadium. You assume wrongly that even if we did go to a smaller stadium thet corporates would still not get tickets and in any case who would decide who the 15,000 should be?
    Well Cowboy. I suggest, since Lansdowne cannot be used for football apparently, we use it for "fan trials." Anyone who wants to go to "the real home of Irish football" will fight it to the death until there are only 15,000 fans remaining alive. Close combat weapons only, no automatic weaponry/projectile weaponry will be tolerated. I assume that anyone who could surivive this onslaught would be fairly rowdy and intimidating for the visitors.

P.S.-Survivors of the "fan trials" should have an all expenses trip to Israel paid for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oconghc2
    Croker has no lights so dunno whats gonna happen??? !!

I know this is like way out there and totally radical, man, but could they like put like lights up??
    No, that's just like too crazy!
    Sorry!

Special Olympics anyone!?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I know this is like way out there and totally radical, man, but could they like put like lights up??
    No, that's just like too crazy!
    Sorry!

Special Olympics anyone!?
    Heard a guy on the Last Word on Today FM last week who just wrote a book about croke park history. According to him the stadium is wired for floodlights already. They need to take off the upper front of the stands and put the bulbs in. Apparently it's not that big a project and could be done fairly qucikly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsy
    Apparently it's not that big a project and could be done fairly qucikly.
    The major enlightenment project required is for certain personnel within the organisation, particularly the Dinosaurs in the Cork County Board.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    is this the first draft of a reality TV show concept

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86
    Well Cowboy. I suggest, since Lansdowne cannot be used for football apparently, we use it for "fan trials." Anyone who wants to go to "the real home of Irish football" will fight it to the death until there are only 15,000 fans remaining alive. Close combat weapons only, no automatic weaponry/projectile weaponry will be tolerated. I assume that anyone who could surivive this onslaught would be fairly rowdy and intimidating for the visitors.

P.S.-Survivors of the "fan trials" should have an all expenses trip to Israel paid for.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Croker and Landsdowne happen to be unavailable for the French match it should be played at Dalymount, the true home of Irish soccer. Fill the place with 15,000 rabid real fans. No corporate freeloaders. Remember Kerrs observations re the away match with Albania in the Euros. I think there were about 12,000 there. Of course the FAI would complain about lost revenue etc but those squandering shysters need to wise up and accept that the reason why the Irish football team have no real home is down to them. A lot of money was made since the late eighties that they blew on consultants and experts to tell them Abbotstown was unfeasible. They took the amazing goodwill of the fans who travelled all over the map to support the team for granted and instead gave their attention to the AIB or whatever. Like many here I've only gotten tix for matches through a friend who works in the bank.

Playing the matches in Liverpool or Glasgow would be an insult. End of rant.
    This post is about as intelligent as the username.

Dalymount Park is a bigger embarassment than Lansdowne. Park of the terracing has been closed for the past few years due to the fact that it is unsafe. I am totally behind the opening of Croker and despise the bigotry of the GAA dinosaurs. However, I would like to see the French game remain in Lansdowne for a number of reasons. Firstly, I think those Ireland supporters who have been at all the qualifiers and games in recent years should be allowed to remain in their seats for this big game. If the match was played in Croker, the FAI would no doubt bring in more corporate fags and there would be a large bandwagon contingent. Secondly, people complain about the atmosphere in Lansdowne. It would be even worse in Croker. The stands are too far from the pitch and fans in different parts of the ground find it difficult to create a cohesive atmosphere. Finally, the size of the pitch would be playing into French hands. We need a tight pitch IMO.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Finally, the size of the pitch would be playing into French hands. We need a tight pitch IMO.

We can make the pitch as small as the regulations allow.
    That's up the the discretion of the home FA as far as I know??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Orginally I was in favour of playing in Croker but I've changed my mind.

on a side note, Ireland better get used to playing in big football pitches because the re development of landsdowne road is going to be big enough to play GAA in. Well i guess it will be good for wingers.

As for opening up Croker, the FAI are going to give half the tickets to AIB type head, fellas who go to matches in suits FFS. There is no real atmosphere in Croker anyway, even in a All Ireland Final, just some cheering near the end.

Anfield HAS an atmosphere, a right sized pitch, decent sized and very near to Dublin. Féck the GAA , go to anfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Anfield HAS an atmosphere, a right sized pitch, decent sized and very near to Dublin. Féck the GAA , go to anfield.
    I'd go to Flancare before I'd go to that dump!
    Pandering to the prats who claim there's a "link" between Liverpool and Dublin.
    If you mention Parkhead you'll get the same response.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ok Peadar, Ibrox it is so : P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    There is a link - the ferry

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd go to Flancare before I'd go to that dump!
    to the flansiro! after all longford is the centre of ireland!
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    dunno bout atmosphere being crap at GAA matches!! fair enough this years final was an exception.

one thing that hinders a big atmosphere sometimes is the way both sets of fans are mixed in together. can imagine it being much better when each set of fans together.

One other thing would be the lack of chants - may annoy some others here, but the big counties aside (the dubs i.e) not many counties have songs etc!!

think - ty-rone! clap clap clap ty-rone! or even Laois! Laois Laois!!

ask any follower of the dubs and theres nothing better than a big day in croker!! (fair enough not many lately! ) great atmosphere !

think therd be excellent atmosphere in the stadium if we got the go ahead!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast