Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century Homes

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face Century Homes

No sour grapes here (still don't know how the hell we didn't win) but Monaghans ground just ain't up to it.

I know Damo got slatted for comments last month but its really only an average standard junior league ground. OK so theres a handy bar & a nice tidy stand (set well back from the pitch for some mysterious reason but the rest of the ground is more or less inaccessable.

And i thought UCDs attandances were bad until saw 100 odd people at yesterdays game.

The eL needs less clubs.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Ok, we all know I'm supposed to know fup all about this, but didn't Monaghan just get promoted? When was the last time they were in the Premier League? You can hardly blame them. Anyway, there's fupping no-one IN Monaghan!

heh

adam

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by Vetinari
    Ok, we all know I'm supposed to know fup all about this, but didn't Monaghan just get promoted? When was the last time they were in the Premier League? You can hardly blame them. Anyway, there's fupping no-one IN Monaghan!
    heh
    adam
    Yeah there is barely anyone in Monaghan, its freezing cold up there but 100 people?

Monaghan were in the Premier in 1995 or there abouts. I think they made the top half of the division too cos they had a split half way thru that year. You would think its a minimum requirement of the ground to have 4 sides to?

I'm sure i'm about to make a sweeping generalisation but i'm sure 1/2 the Monaghan team are pale blowins who'll jump ship for first offer closer to home.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by pete
    I'm sure i'm about to make a sweeping generalisation but i'm sure 1/2 the Monaghan team are pale blowins who'll jump ship for first offer closer to home.
    even within the "crowd", i heard nearly as many dub accents as monaghan/northern ones. of the 70 or so people who attended many were probably family of the players. awful awful awful!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Crowds!!!

In fairness, inour cup game against Mons there was more farm animals at the game than Mons supporters.
    Whenever a shot went wide Gary Connaughton had to tackle a cow to get the ball back!!!!!

Buckley Out!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Crowds!!!

Originally posted by Ash
    Gary Connaughton had to tackle a cow to get the ball back!!!!!
    LOL! He must have felt like the monaghan defenders tryin to tackle hartigan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Has Monaghan's ground improved much since this thread was started? Would they have much work to do if the got promoted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    It's still the same old dump with the same old cabbage patch of a pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Yes Sean it has improved and I saw the plans for the seating on other side of pitch last night and should be in place for start if next season.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Yes Sean it has improved and I saw the plans for the seating on other side of pitch last night and should be in place for start if next season.
    I sincerely hope magicme that if ye get promoted ye will get bums on seats as otherwise the other side of the ground would be empty..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I sincerely hope magicme that if ye get promoted ye will get bums on seats as otherwise the other side of the ground would be empty..
    The place had a great atmosphere for the League Cup semi final when we were there.

An empty side doesn't seem to affect Sporting Nama or UCD. Summer football seems to have improved the surface no end.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    I like it, there is a certain charm to it, love the club house and the view from inside it if your side is shooting down that end ! the stand is fine, I think the acute angle is based on the fact that they used the outside wall as the back for it, and this angles slightly against the ground.

If they do go ahead with those plans for some sort of seating/terracing on the far side it would be no worse than the likes Drogs, although and to be fair the seats Drogs put in on the far side have really cleaned up that place.

Ps Mons Dogs.................

Almost enough reason to have them in the PD - only thing left is for us to end our shocking record there !
    Last edited by oriel; 02/10/2010 at 7:41 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Very very harsh on Monaghan Utd. A club that is enjoying its moment in the limelight following a remarkable rise in the last couple of seasons and well done to them. Always enjoyed a trip to Century Homes. Maybe as I was born onto a dairy farm I enjoy the site of grazing cows and while that was often more entertaining than the football on show its a credit to the club to have risen to become a force in a division which has a few clubs of greater stature than Monaghan.

Not a particularly fair thread to be honest. Only been to Morton Stadium once and Fingal are a Premier Division Club. Haven't been to the UCD bowl but they have established themselves in the Premier Division and the Bowl is comparative to Century Homes in every way from size of ground, support levels etc.

Well done Monaghan Utd. Enjoy the attention and focus a great season has brought.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    the only times ive ever been up in that end of the country were to watch Bohs take on Monaghan and to be honest the trips to CHP brought me some of my favourite football moments being the unique masterpiece that it is.

1) huge bag of chips in some chipper in town. I mean HUGE.

2) when we were losing, a few of us were standing behind Pete Mahon encouraging him nicely to turn this around. He responded by shouting at Trevo Molloy to "do a trick, Trevor, do a trick!". Tactical genius.

3) cows as non paying spectators

4) weird angle of stand to pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    huge bag of chips in some chipper in town. I mean HUGE.
    It is these events that make someone a lifelong LOI fan.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    it really is WH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear View Post
    Very very harsh on Monaghan Utd. A club that is enjoying its moment in the limelight following a remarkable rise in the last couple of seasons and well done to them. Always enjoyed a trip to Century Homes. Maybe as I was born onto a dairy farm I enjoy the site of grazing cows and while that was often more entertaining than the football on show its a credit to the club to have risen to become a force in a division which has a few clubs of greater stature than Monaghan.

Not a particularly fair thread to be honest. Only been to Morton Stadium once and Fingal are a Premier Division Club. Haven't been to the UCD bowl but they have established themselves in the Premier Division and the Bowl is comparative to Century Homes in every way from size of ground, support levels etc.

Well done Monaghan Utd. Enjoy the attention and focus a great season has brought.
    In fairness, half of this thread is nearly 9 years old!

I quite like CHP as a ground. It has a tendency to be quite cold in my experience but the clubhouse and hospitality are nice. It's probably a little bit small for big away crowds but some more seats on the far side would sort that.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

21. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    the cows behind the goals are the things that give you milk (important to point out to certain people) damien richardson also talked about this a few years ago. very intelligent man. the strange smell is called fresh air!!!!!we could have built a second maracana but we decided not to ruin the club.
    I do agree that there are a few things to be done to the ground but all clubs have bits and pieces to be done.
    we have plans for seating across from the current stand. does anyone have any idea of how much seating costs? i found some info about athlone having a 1 000 E per seat (which is pretty low in stadium building). I presume our seats will be bucket seats without a roof which will bring this cost away down. how much did flancare cost for example?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Will the new seats be covered? If not it will cost Monaghan more in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    It is these events that make someone a lifelong LOI fan.
    I once got a lift home from a Pats v DLK game about 10 years ago with two pensioners, and they insisted in telling me about the best chipper close to each of the LOI grounds they been to, and I can assure you, they didnt appear to have missed many grounds. I think I was asleep by the time we passed the airport.

I recall one line before I dropped off, ''No No, those chips we got before we went to St Mels were not as good as the ones at.............

PS Pats fans they appeared to be very happy with the ones close to Richmond.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast