Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Byrne (M Shamrock Rovers b.1996)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    So let's be honest he wasn't international standard was he? And we have a poor team at the moment.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    So let's be honest he wasn't international standard was he? And we have a poor team at the moment.
    You're probably right, I had made the argument before that when he was in Ireland squads and training alongside better players he obviously didnt stand out enough to get picked.

That being said, this is another example of choosing the wrong club being bad for his career. Making bad career choices seem to be what hes best at! All his choices bar the loan move to Holland and signing for Rovers were awful. Wigan and Oldham were disasterous choices for the type of player he is. Where you play matters, and you need the right club and manager that can develop you especially as a young player. The move to Cyprus was a nice cash grab, the injury immediately after arriving didnt help, but when you land in a club thats as unstable as APOEL you have to expect that the manager that wanted you was going to be gone quickly.

So many footballers seem to be advised so badly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Not sure if it was the wrong club, certainly not financially by the sound of it.

Things conspired against him at APOEL but as career moves go he will do well out of it. Unlikey to play for Ireland again you would imagine but he’ll be grand.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I still think he was worth a place in the (current, wojus) squad. Unlucky at APOEL with Mick getting the sack, him getting a back injury, and the financial problems from missing out on Europe.

But he was a standout player in the LoI, and I think unfortunately that does put in perspective any LoI players' callup claims.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I still think he was worth a place in the (current, wojus) squad. Unlucky at APOEL with Mick getting the sack, him getting a back injury, and the financial problems from missing out on Europe.

But he was a standout player in the LoI, and I think unfortunately that does put in perspective any LoI players' callup claims.
    Agreed. He did absolutely fine for me when he got his chance at our version of international standard football. Made a few mistakes but also created things and got us moving the ball better than other options we had/have. Imop of course.

The back injury had been holding him back even before the move to Cyprus. He was anonymous in the cup final for Rovers when we lost to Dundalk. Surgery may have fixed it...but maybe he's at the end of his development and that's that. A shame but he was always going to need to be in peak physical shape to make his more unique talents work at higher levels. That doesn't seem likely to happen now.

7. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Anyone who thinks he's anything more than a pub league player needs to watch the video at this link:

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/1...tyler-roberts/

I knew when he under hit that pass that he would never, ever play for Ireland again. It was criminal at that level, you just can't have players that weak playing for you internationally.

I feel bad typing this because I've heard him interviewed and he seemed like a great guy. I really think that the LOI is a net negative to the international set-up, we're stuck with a terrible manager for another ten months just to appease the fans of this rubbish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    You can't judge a player based off one pass FFS

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You can't judge a player based off one pass FFS
    You can if what you know about football wouldn't fit on a broken cornflake. 🙂

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Whatever about one bad pass, at 25 years of age now and having played for seven different clubs, I don't think it's unreasonable to make an overall call on Jack Byrne. I hope he has a positive career wherever he goes from here, but he's just not an international quality footballer.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    It was obviously too big a step up for Byrne at the time. The pace / anticipation of the Welsh player was not something he was used to. We were chasing a goal and he made a bad pass.

Hopefully it all works out for him and he makes a good living out of football while he is playing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Byrne got a lucky break when McCarthy went to Cyprus and Mick thought he might be suited to that type of ball. Jack got a nice pay day as no one else was offering him a contract that good.

The fact that he is supposedly due to join Charlotte in the MLS in the prime of his career says it all about his overall ability. There's no hard luck stories here, no nonsense about being poorly advised etc. That is his level.

I wish him all the best. He has made a good career thus far financially for himself (Post football etc) and he can still play for the next 8-10 years at MLS (Lower teams) and LOI standard.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    I just can't see how we've learned anything about Byrne's ability from the move. He signed with an injury, the manger who signed him was sacked and he's now being offloaded because he's a high earner. It's turned out to be a disaster in terms of football, albeit a decent move for his personal finances. He's still a few years from his prime. The MLS move, if true, probably does see the end of his international career, but if he does well there's no reason why he couldn't be back in Europe at 28 and back in Ireland squads again. Judging his ability on one bad pass in an international is just ridiculous, especially if you discount everything good he did in other appearances. The hate for players and managers just because they're associated with the national league is a bit sad really.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 24/08/2021 at 1:42 PM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Best player for two years in LOI can't get a game for the third best team in Cyprus should speak to those who believe the LOI is anything but a dreadful standard.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Best player for two years in LOI can't get a game for the third best team in Cyprus should speak to those who believe the LOI is anything but a dreadful standard.
    There is more to it than that.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dreadfull standard ? LOI teams just beat a top Greek team and also went toe to toe with a top Dutch team but yea because JB got injured and McCarthy sacked and now he fell out with current manager who going by last result hasnt much a clue, the league is a terrible standard.

Plenty of full internationals played in major comps this year from MLS . His international career is far from over.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    It just feels like there's always an excuse with Byrne among some Irish football followers for some reason. There's always a reason for his moves to fail that are something other than "he's just not good enough to get a game at that club". I don't think any player is that unlucky - if he's hasn't succeeded at Wigan, Kilmarnock and APOEL Nicosia, among others, it's probably time to call a spade a spade and say that, whatever his level is, it's below the SPL and League 1 and therefore he's not an international standard player. Like everyone else I wish him well and hope the MLS will be good for him if that's where he ends up. But I can't see him ever being anything other than a squad filler at absolute best for Ireland.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I just can't see how we've learned anything about Byrne's ability from the move. He signed with an injury, the manger who signed him was sacked and he's now being offloaded because he's a high earner. It's turned out to be a disaster in terms of football, albeit a decent move for his personal finances. He's still a few years from his prime. The MLS move, if true, probably does see the end of his international career, but if he does will there's no reason why he couldn't be back in Europe at 28 and back in Ireland squads again. Judging his ability on one bad pass in an international is just ridiculous, especially if you discount everything good he did in other appearances. The hate for players and managers just because they're associated with the national league is a bit sad really.
    I know it is frustrating when a very promising 15/16 year old falls well short of what we expected from him but what can we do? No guarantees in football and all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    There is more to it than that.
    You're right. I am reminded he was terrible in Scotland, and just as bad in the English League 1.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    You're right. I am reminded he was terrible in Scotland, and just as bad in the English League 1.
    If he comes good ~ It will all have been great education ~ Hope springs eternal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It just feels like there's always an excuse with Byrne among some Irish football followers for some reason. There's always a reason for his moves to fail that are something other than "he's just not good enough to get a game at that club". I don't think any player is that unlucky - if he's hasn't succeeded at Wigan, Kilmarnock and APOEL Nicosia, among others, it's probably time to call a spade a spade and say that, whatever his level is, it's below the SPL and League 1 and therefore he's not an international standard player. Like everyone else I wish him well and hope the MLS will be good for him if that's where he ends up. But I can't see him ever being anything other than a squad filler at absolute best for Ireland.
    While there is a valid point in there, I do think it's fair to make the counter-argument that he had come home, had gotten the first proper stretch of first-team football in his career and had done reasonably well, had gotten international call-ups which I think were merited, and his career had the possibility of kicking on from there - it's exactly what happened Keith Fahey, for example. Then the manager who signed him got sacked (a nightmare for any player) and he got a bad back injury which put him out for months.

If they're excuses, I think they're valid ones.

27. Thanks From:

Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast