Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Poland V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 19th November 2013 - Friendly - Poznań

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Drums 69, our new oracle after a coup de Paul, has already spoken on Westwood's continued demoted status this weekend.
    A departure from the previous oracle that would have hedged so many bets, all outcomes would have been covered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He's probably right. I had thought that Westwood was still injured for that City game but apparently not.

We'll just have to pray to the good Lord that young Mannone has a horror show.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That sounds more like voodoo, not prayer.
    Our goalkeeping situation isn't that desperate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I tried voodoo on Mignolet so going for the aul prayer this time.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Our Norwegian keeper, Sean McDermott, will come to the rescue soon.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Forde has been linked this week as replacement for Forster when he eventually leaves Celtic, FFS.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    They beat the first man ok, and the second, and the third and the fourth....he obviously has tried to overcompensate on occasions in the Polish game.
    A number of overhit crosses? Can't say I noticed that to be honest perhaps you were basing your opinion not on what you saw but what you have previously thought.

I find him a very frustrating player who can give the ball away very easily at times. On the plus side, there is nearly always an air of expectation when he is on the ball and he can make things happen but his end product often does not live up to that expectation. I just have a feeling of unfulfilled potential whenever I see him play. I remember reading rave reviews about him when he first came on the scene: the new Maradona etc. That's not his fault that people were saying that about him and of course Celtic fans would hear no wrong about him (whatever happened to McGeady10 ?)but I just don't think he never became the finished article.
    You never sat in Celtic Park when he played there then! The Celtic support were completely divided on McGeady, plenty of goons would whinge and moan about 'twinkle toes' and 'one trick pony'. They miss him now though and I'd imagine most (not all) would have him back in a heartbeat. We got good money for him and it was the right time to sell but the likes of James Forrest have never got near the levels McGeady got to imo.

Well worth a place in the squad and probably also the side but not above criticism.
    Absolutely not above criticism, I agree, as is the case for all our players. He is frustrating and certainly needs to up his ratio of good final balls and goals. However, he is still our best provider of goals (most assists), still our best outlet pass when we are under the cosh (which is often), still the player most likely to get the fans out of their seats with some individual skill. He's still a first 11 player and the likes of McLean certainly need to show much more if they are to challenge him for that spot - imo of course.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    mcgeady can be frustrating but i do remember thinking the same about duff for a good part of his ireland career - crossing/finishing not quite what it could be.

it was only in his last few years (and first season ) that i really appreciated him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I really despair sometimes at the nature of some debates on here. People just want to argue to the most micro level possible in the knowledge that you can always be considered right at a micro level no matter what side of the debate you are on. Forde and Westwood are good keepers and they will both do a good job if called upon. A flaw is only a flaw if it is comprised of repeated and similar mistakes - see Fordes distribution. A mistake is not a flaw, it's a mistake. Forde and Westwood have both made mistakes in games. So did Given. It's only when they are similar and become repeated that the issue becomes a flaw (Joe Harts judgement). Hart wasn't dropped for making one or two mistakes - he was dropped for making repeated mistakes of a similar nature which displayed a flaw that had developed in his game and was proving costly to City.

To blame Forde for a mistake leading to anything other than one goal since he started with us is ridiculous. Even if we were to acknowledge a second mistake, it would still be a good return for him. He does however need to work on his flaw - his kicking. For the reason that DeLorean identified in #149.

On who should be our #1 - they are both good keepers with different strengths and weaknesses. They will both do a fine job for us. Therefore possession is 9-10ths of the law and Forde should retain it for now in my humble opinion.
    Ill leave that aside, because I don't go into micrcoscopic analysis, and assume you meant SvD and DeLorean Funnily enough I generally don't like big stupid quoted posts that do the same so i take your point.

I think it was SvD who introduced the term microscopic analysis anyway, I dont consider that microscopic analysis.

A GKs essential skills are - not limited to - (first two talking about shot stopping ability, 3rd one more than just shot stopping )agility, speed, positional/spatial awareness, commanding in the air and accuracy from kickouts/passing. If a keeper is lacking basic agility to get down quick and also cover off angles(positional awareness) he is lacking 2 out of 5 essential skills. I think Forde is lacking in 2 of those, not completely inept. It's nothing to do with told you so, but there is a reason why he is 33 at Milwall, and by sounds of it he isn't getting rave reviews there either. There was an example yesterday in the Arsenal game around 70 mins where the keeper got down really quick and pushed a strong hand to keep the ball out of the bottom corner. It was a good save, but it was one you would expect a good keeper to make, I'm pretty sure Forde wouldn't have the ability to get down and keep that kinda shot out. I have given 3 examples where i think he should have done better and more than likely saved us a goal. Its nothing to do with microscopic analysis or told you so. I've always said on here I love being wrong when it comes to predictions about the IRish team or players.

Sometimes I think the posters on here live in some impermeable bubble around Team Ireland. Anyone i've spoken to at games or in general offline have the same concerns about Forde.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 27/11/2013 at 10:08 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Ill leave that aside, because I don't go into micrcoscopic analysis, and assume you meant SvD and DeLorean Funnily enough I generally don't like big stupid quoted posts that do the same so i take your point.

I think it was SvD who introduced the term microscopic analysis anyway, I dont consider that microscopic analysis.

A GKs essential skills are - not limited to - (first two talking about shot stopping ability, 3rd one more than just shot stopping )agility, speed, positional/spatial awareness, commanding in the air and accuracy from kickouts/passing. If a keeper is lacking basic agility to get down quick and also cover off angles(positional awareness) he is lacking 2 out of 5 essential skills. I think Forde is lacking in 2 of those, not completely inept. It's nothing to do with told you so, but there is a reason why he is 33 at Milwall, and by sounds of it he isn't getting rave reviews there either
    What sounds are you listening to? He came 2nd in the Millwall poty awards for last season.
    The main reservation on Millwall discussion boards that I have come across, from supporters who may or may not have a clue, is that Forde does not command his area, a criticism which I found strange. Possibly Forde has a multi personality goalkeeping disorder. In a Millwall shirt he's all continental in the air but recovers with good footwork and acceptable agility
    There was an example yesterday in the Arsenal game around 70 mins where the keeper got down really quick and pushed a strong hand to keep the ball out of the bottom corner. It was a good save, but it was one you would expect a good keeper to make, I'm pretty sure Forde wouldn't have the ability to get down and keep that kinda shot out.
    In the EPL highlights, I saw 3 goals scored against 3 different goalkeepers, that I'd expect Forde would have saved.
    I have given 3 examples where i think he should have done better and more than likely saved us a goal. Its nothing to do with microscopic analysis or told you so. I've always said on here I love being wrong when it comes to predictions about the IRish team or players.
    Possibly I'd say you have a case for Forde being at fault for one of those goals, even that one is debatable.
    Sometimes I think the posters on here live in some impermeable bubble around Team Ireland. Anyone i've spoken to at games or in general offline have the same concerns about Forde.
    The concerns I have are that the best in-form goalkeeper is used from the available choices. The choice atm is between Westwood, Forde and Randolph. From what i've seen, there's much of a muchness between Westwood and Forde. That's the bubble I live in, it's an opinion based on the quality of the available choices.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I agree with Geysir fully here.

Paul, my issue is with you apportioning blame to Forde for 3 goals where (for two of those instances anyway) there is very flimsy support for your assertion other than the ball hit the net. Essentially, it seems you are trying to support your overall assessment of him or bias against him ("33 and only playing for Milwall") by fabricating fault or at least exaggerating the level of culpability in his play (through microanalysis). He is far from perfect, no one is arguing that, but he is a good keeper and deserving of his place in the squad and team. He makes mistakes (all keepers do). His flaw is his kicking/distribution (it wont get much better). Everything else is - from what I have seen, read and heard - well above average.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Even though it was your picky analysis that was gradually leading to Forde being to blame for every goal since the Charlton era? Good one.

Read everyone's posts back. Think everyone shares those concerns. It's just some of us believe Forde has actual strengths as well and won't resort to pointing out non-existent errors. Patently obvious a lot of Ireland fans feel the same way.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I was joking there but didn't expect your nerdy sense to get that :P

No every fan I spoke to at the match felt forde should habe done better for their second goal. And anyone I spoke to at the time about the greece goal.

They are not errors in the form of dropping the ball or mistining or misreading but they are still mistakes that could have saved us a goal or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in