Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crowd Violence breaks out at UEFA Cup Match

Man stabbed in Budapest before Millwall match

Thursday, 30th September, 2004

BUDAPEST, Sept 30 (Reuters) - One man was stabbed in violence before the UEFA Cup tie between Hungarian champions Ferencvaros and English side Millwall on Thursday.

"Eight people were taken to hospital, out of these, seven had light injuries, however there is one man who speaks English who was stabbed in the back," said Pal Gyofi, a spokesman for the Budapest ambulance service.

He said it was not clear whether the man was actually English and the extent of his injuries was not known.

Police said there were scuffles in the centre of the city before kickoff at 1900 GMT and that mounted police were deployed at the stadium as Millwall fans arrived without tickets.

A police spokesman said the problem at the ground with the ticketless fans was diffused quickly and a Reuters reporter said there was no trouble inside the stadium although there were reports of teargas being fired outside.

A police spokesman said that between 1,500 and 3,000 Millwall fans had arrived for the match -- the London club's first in European competition.

Millwall had a ticket allocation of 1,500 for the second leg of the tie which was won by 3-1 by Ferencvaros, after the first leg had ended 1-1.

Ferencvaros were recently fined for crowd trouble at a Champions League qualifier against an Albanian side and matches with local rivals Ujpest are regularly marred by violence.

Millwall, who qualified for the UEFA Cup as the losing side in the FA Cup final, have had a history of crowd violence, although the problem has been largely cleaned up by chairman Theo Paphitis in recent years.

The last major crowd violence at Millwall's ground, the New Den in southeast London, was in May 2002 in a playoff semi-final against Birmingham City.

Copyright (2002) Reuters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Trouble at a game Millwall were involved in,what a shock!

What was the final score from the game does any1 know?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just saw as well that there was major rioting by Middlesborough fans at their UEFA cup game in the Czech Republic (todays irish times).

Also trouble at the Newcastle Utd game.

Time for these teams and Roma to be thrown out of UEFA competition. There was trouble involving Newcastle UTD last season as well in Europe.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    Hardly unpredictable......

Despite their ferocious 'reputation',many Millwall fans are descended from 'Irish' stock,from folk who emigrated there to work in the docks,approx.120-150 years ago & since!

Before you slate them,this was a postscript to post-famine times & the antics of our saxon-norman neighbours in the Ireland of the day!
    Are you for real?

1. Millwall have done more than arguably any other London club in recent years to work with their local authority (Lewisham Council) to welcome all parts of the community to the club, and make its facilities available to them. Their reputation is largely undeserved.

2. All English football clubs have support descended from the Irish, so Millwall don't stand out.

3. Football hooliganism in the C21 can hardly be blamed on Trevelyan's Corn. Didn't your long succession of Brit schools teach ye anything?
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gardner
    Are you for real?

1. Millwall have done more than arguably any other London club in recent years to work with their local authority (Lewisham Council) to welcome all parts of the community to the club, and make its facilities available to them. Their reputation is largely undeserved...
    Correct: The club has been magnificent, but some of their more muscular clients aren't too keen on this move. Eg: When the club handed out some free tickets to local refugees. Personally, I'm over the moon they got dumped out of Europe. With luck they won't see it again in my lifetime.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Their reputation is largely undeserved.
    Come off it, they may be working hard in the community now, but they got their reputation on over 30 years of mayhem. A couple of relatively incident free years doesn't suddenly make them angels.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Millwall vs. Ferencvaros

I live in Budapest and was witness to the touble in and outside the ground. The whole thing was badly policed. Somebody missed the fact that both these clubs have equally bad reputations and UEFA and the local Hungarian authorities were never prepared. I am pretty sure given British Policing in general and Millwall FC's preparations there was nothing like the trouble here.

Cheap flights, cheap booze, no preparation there is no suprise this happened.

What did go unreported abroad was the fact that "Millwall/English" supporters trashed one of the Irish bars here Becketts on Wednesday night with 30 people brought to hospital and bar itself closed for repairs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Come off it, they may be working hard in the community now, but they got their reputation on over 30 years of mayhem. A couple of relatively incident free years doesn't suddenly make them angels.
    A couple of incident free years is largely down to the work of the club itself including taking a big loss in income by their stringent membership policy. This not only meant that they have lost floating public (although how appatising an afternoon down the den is for the casual fan is up for debate) but has also reduced the amount of hoolies who are willing to turn up.
    The strict enforcement tickets only to members meant that they were unable to sell their allocation of FA cup semi final tickets, despite having large amount of sudden interest in the club once they got to the semi's (they stopped taking allocations for the membership scheme when they reached the semi's as they felt it would attract alot of people who had since stopped going to games.)
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

Undeserved reputation!

Living in London, i can confirm that 90% of all Millwall fans i have ever met are utter scum. Sovereign rings and Burberry galore. They go out of their way to create this kind of supposed 'us and them' illusion between them, and the rest of the civilised world.

Not at all suprised to hear this news, and i know they have tried hard to lose the reputation-but have they really? The club shop sells car stickers saying 'No one likes us, we don't care' Their core support are hooligans, it's that simple. Without them, they're just a run of the mill Division One team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Puskas
    What did go unreported abroad was the fact that "Millwall/English" supporters trashed one of the Irish bars here Becketts on Wednesday night with 30 people brought to hospital and bar itself closed for repairs
    I read this in the (London) Evening Standard this afternoon. So much for Millwall's Irish connection.

I watched a programme here a couple of years ago about the trouble at their game with Portsmouth and it showed that some of the club's support are nothing but pure sh*te. Claiming this hard-man, don't bother with anyone except other hooligans, reputation didn't stop them beating up a lone Portsmouth fan who was only saved by other Millwall fans who got abused for their trouble. Then there was the hero - or should it be the heroine - a young mother who came out of her house and confronted these c*nts, laying into them with a four letter tirade about what a bunch of w*nkers they were.

However it was the reaction of the police that got me. Confined by what Eurosceptic tosspot journalists like Simon Heffer and Richard Littlesh*t would term Brussels interference, the police took it on the chin, refusing to take off the kidgloves and truly going to town, as would have happened in a few other coutries in that the Brussels writ extends to including by all accounts EU newcomers Hungary. Tear gas with some particularly nasty added ingredients would be totally acceptable but I would have liked that SO19 crowd to do a bit of target practice aswell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Well f*ck me. I labelled the Scum (aka In-ger-land) in similar sweeping terms before the European Championships and I get a dig from our kid. Hope the above statement has anything to do with them just being 'c0ckney w@nkers' ...which technically is what they all are.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    By the way apparently Man Utd fans were tear-gassed by the CRS (Compagnie Républicaine de Sécurité - French Special anti-riot Police) in Lyon the other week after causing trouble during the Champions League. It seems the "English Disease" is spreading again....

I saw that program you mentioned, the "fans" also smashed up a car's windscreen at a roundabout or traffic lights simply because it was being driven by a black man. What struck me was all these "fans" seemed to be around 18 and all were regailed in the usual oik/chav/ned gear - trousers tucked into the socks is the dead give away.

Anyway it seems that there's a whole new generation of these numbskulls being groomed into hooliganism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jofyisgod
    Undeserved reputation!

Living in London, i can confirm that 90% of all Millwall fans i have ever met are utter scum. Sovereign rings and Burberry galore. They go out of their way to create this kind of supposed 'us and them' illusion between them, and the rest of the civilised world.

Not at all suprised to hear this news, and i know they have tried hard to lose the reputation-but have they really? The club shop sells car stickers saying 'No one likes us, we don't care' Their core support are hooligans, it's that simple. Without them, they're just a run of the mill Division One team.
    I must admit to getting a punch a few years back from a Milwall fan coming away from the Den, however the Milwall fans that I have met and chatted to have been grand, indeed I have met fans of clubs that I support/like that I would quicker describe as scum than Milwall fans that I know. Certainly I don't subscribe that the the core of the fans are scum, indeed if you go around the country you will find as bad if not worse.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think you will find that most clubs in all divisions in england have a hooligan element.i
    have travelled europe watching football and hooliganism is wide spread.i understand certain dublin derbies have there share of trouble is this true

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lopez: I think we can agree Millwall won't be troubling the UEFA Cup for a few more years yet, but hopefully when they next make it you'll be able to watch a trouble-free tie on TV with your grandkids

Macy: they aren't angels (I didn't deny any past- or current- violence), but nor do they deserve to be singled out. And their efforts to include the community were quite novel and deserve recognition, regardless of the merits of their membership scheme.

Joy is God: don't exaggerate. I live in SE London, and all the Millwall fans I know (probably at least as many as you), are well-behaved at matches and otherwise. I wouldn't overreact to the 'No-one likes us' song. It's only a catchphrase ffs, not the Horst Wessel Lied
    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 03/10/2004 at 7:51 PM.
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    ...I wouldn't overreact to the 'No-one likes us' song. It's only a catchphrase ffs, not the Horst Wessel Lied
    Die fahne hoch/ Die Reihen fest geschlossen...oops...