Thread: i-net connection via mobile

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i-net connection via mobile

People,

I'm trying to set up internet connection using my laptop and mobile. I know it should be relativley easy but i'm having some difficulty and maybe some of you could offer some advice.
    To make the connection i bought a USB Bluetooth adapter. The phone recognises the laptop but the laptop won't connect to the mobile when using the handset manager software that came with the phone. BUT, when it comes to trying to connect to the internet from the laptop the number rings on the phone and connects the call but the connection wont make on iexplorer..
    2 Questions:
    Does anyone know why the laptop might be having trouble seeing the phone (its a sharp gx-15 handset)?
    If and when the laptop does see the phone, what other stuff do i need to make an internet connection, i nicked that phone number thing off the computer at home and it seems to be happy dialling it but maybe i'm using it illegally and thats why it refuses to connect???

And help at all appreciated
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I've something similar with my nokia 7650, bluetooth connection and all. I got the number off o2, along with the connection info, it was a bit of a nightmare to set up, from what I remember you have to turn off dialling rules, keep the area code in the number itself, i.e. set the country code to 353, then the number as 11234567, not area code to 01, then 1234567 as the number to ring.

To be honest, it's not worth it, the connection speed is a joke (we're talking bits per minute here) and the cost is abysmal.

What network are you on?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm with vodafone at the moment. I've heard mixed reports as to whether it is worthwhile or not. Would like to try it. I dont have a fixed line available to me where i'm living and dont have an interest in getting one installed as i may not be there in a few months time
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Dialing up with a mobile is far slower than net browsing with the phone alone, Nokia WAP enabled phones as of 2002+ run @ 112K, but the new 6260 is LAN/T1 speed.

Graham
    j'accuse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magoo
    I'm with vodafone at the moment. I've heard mixed reports as to whether it is worthwhile or not. Would like to try it. I dont have a fixed line available to me where i'm living and dont have an interest in getting one installed as i may not be there in a few months time
    Best bet is to get onto Vodaphone, if you're on a laptop you should get one of their wireless connectors, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything more than email, surfing is a waste of time with it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    To make the connection i bought a USB Bluetooth adapter. The phone recognises the laptop but the laptop won't connect to the mobile when using the handset manager software that came with the phone.
    Have you tried using the software that was bundled with the USB Dongle. TBH, I've been using mobile phone and laptop for over 5 years first with cable then with Bluetooth (9.6kbs)and reverted to Cable as it gives a higher connection speed (HSCSD 43.2kbs).

Have since moved on to GPRS card and considering the new 3G card from Vodafone.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cheers for the comments lads. Will try some of the above and seehow i get on

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Cheers for the comments lads. Will try some of the above and seehow i get on
    Post back how you get on as well, as I've recently acquired a laptop...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Post back how you get on as well, as I've recently acquired a laptop...
    I didn't get on at all. Saw the bluetooth adaptor this morning and thus had a rather disappointing start to the day. The whole setting up lark was a nightmare from beginning to end. Couldn't be bothered going into the details now though cos it makes me want to do bad things.

Anywho.... i'm changing job in a week or two so i have no longer access to company laptop. So now i'm looking for things to remember, avoid doing, look out for,... when purchasing one for meself. How did you get on getting yours Macy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I use vodafone 3G and it's the dogs doodies!
    Best dial up connection I've ever used.
    The cable speed shows up in Windows XP connection properties as 460.8KBPS
    It's wicked fast and took seconds to set up.
    The USB cable came with the phone.
    Got 20Mb free from vodafone.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel