Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tony Grealish RIP

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Giles seemed to get himself tied up when trying to describe Grealish. He started by saying unconvincingly that TG would be known as a holding player today, but that he had more than that to him, he was also a box to box player with a handy shot on him too. Only then did he really accurately describe what Grealish was about, getting about the pitch and putting tackles in.

He was the type of player that Wenger feels is unnecessary but that Arsenal have missed since Flamini left. I heard the head of youth deveopment at the NDSL use the term "soldiers and artists" in this context recently. It's no slur to say that Grealish was a soldier whereas Brady was an artist. But all good teams need their soldiers. Old soldiers never die, they only fade away.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 26/04/2013 at 1:09 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    I was searching online for Eamonn Sweeney's piece in today's Sunday Indo when I found the photo below. I think it is from the first Ireland v N.Ireland game in Lansdowne Road in September 1978 (finished 0-0). It was Tony Grealish's fifth cap and the full line-up was:

Mick Kearns (Walsall), Tony Grealish (Orient), Mark Lawrenson (Brighton), Noel Synnott (Shamrock Rovers), Jimmy Holmes (Tottenham Hotspur), Gerry Daly (Derby County), Johnny Giles (Shamrock Rovers) capt, Liam Brady (Arsenal), Steve Heighway (Liverpool), Paul McGee (Queen’s Park Rangers), Frank Stapleton (Arsenal)

"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Great old picture that, props ET.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Nice obituary in the (UK) Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ob...l-8590596.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    I was searching online for Eamonn Sweeney's piece in today's Sunday Indo
    Not sure if you found it but here it is, a nice read it is too.

EAMONN SWEENEY – 28 APRIL 2013

There was something special about Tony Grealish, something different. The sight of him in an Irish shirt evoked peculiarly warm feelings of affection and pride in Irish football fans of a certain generation. Last week the memory of those emotions flooded back when we learned of his death at the age of 56 from cancer.

Tony Grealish, you always felt, gave everything for Ireland. His appearance helped. The unruly mop of ginger hair, the bristling beard and russet complexion made Grealish look a bit like a Marvel Comics attempt at creating a Hibernian superhero to rival Captains America and Britain. But describing him as 'iconic,' that contemporary cliché for someone who looks the part and little else, is to gravely under-estimate Tony Grealish. Because he really was a terrific player, one of the finest midfielders ever to represent this country.

Irish fans saw Grealish's best. He belongs to that band of players who rose to the occasion when they pulled on a green shirt, finding ten or 20 per cent extra over their club form. Richard Dunne is like this, so were Shay Given, Mick McCarthy, Don Givens, Dave Langan and the lad from Hammersmith who was 19 when he pulled on the Irish shirt for the first time against Norway in 1976 and was pretty much ever-present for the next 10 years.

For much of that time his midfield partners were Liam Brady and Gerry Daly, the former one of the biggest names in Europe, the latter a consistent top-flight performer whose natural gifts far outweighed Grealish's. Yet Grealish shone in this company and had many days when he was unquestionably the outstanding member of the trio.

He was a classic product of the London Irish community, born in Paddington in the west of the city in 1956 at a time when an economically banjaxed country was exporting its citizens to England in astounding numbers. Grealish's father was from Athenry and his mother was of Irish parentage and as a youngster he played Gaelic football and hurling at underage level for London. I can remember his brother Brian going on to play senior football for the 33rd county.

Amid all the cynicism which came to surround Jack Charlton's exploitation of the parentage rule, a serious point was overlooked. The rule was there for people who felt culturally connected to the country of their parents. Born in England, a part of them would always be Irish. You met them in pubs in London, listened to their stories about growing up, the RC Schools, the Irish Centres, the dancing, the football and hurling, the summers spent 'back home,' and knew that only a very ignorant person would tell them they weren't in some sense Irish.

And sometimes you met them supporting the Irish soccer team. Tony Grealish was one of them, a sporting representative of a resilient emigrant community which maintained its spirit despite discrimination and marginalisation, the community of Shane MacGowan, Kevin Rowland and a horde of great traditional musicians, the likes of John Carty, Mike McGoldrick and Jacqueline McCarthy. If he played like the Irish jersey meant something special to him, maybe that was because it did.

Grealish was never better than during one of the great heroic campaigns of Irish sport, the attempt to qualify for the 1982 World Cup in Spain. The draw placed Ireland in with Holland, runners-up in the previous two World Cups, Belgium who'd just lost the final of the European Championship and France, the most promising team in Europe who had Platini, Tigana, Six, Rocheteau et al poised to explode on to the international stage. It's the equivalent of the current side being thrown in with Italy and, well, Holland and Belgium. Ireland missed out on goal difference. It was a tremendous effort. And a tragic one for reasons we'll come to shortly.

With Brady having become a marked man who didn't always have the necessary freedom, it was often Grealish who came through when the team needed it most. In the very first game in September 1980, Ireland trailed Holland 1-0 12 minutes from time at Lansdowne Road when he picked up the ball, played a one-two with Frank Stapleton and drove into the Dutch box with grim determination etched on his face. As the defenders converged on Grealish, the ball broke loose to Daly who slotted it home. Seven minutes later, Mark Lawrenson scored the winner.

But for some reason my abiding memory is of Grealish flying through the air as the Dutch tackled him en masse, leaving Daly unmarked. It was an image which seemed to epitomise his determination to risk all for the cause. A month later, Ireland were 1-0 down at home against Belgium coming up to half-time and struggling. Grealish came to the rescue once again, beating the normally ultra-efficient Belgian offside trap to latch on to a through ball, calmly rounding 'keeper Jean Marie Pfaff and slotting home.

Later during the campaign Grealish found time to power a Brazilian-style long-range rocket to the top corner of the net in a 6-0 home win over Cyprus, another example of the eye for goal which enabled him to notch eight goals in 45 internationals. In the end Ireland came up just short, largely because of refereeing decisions. The disallowing of a Michael Robinson goal in Paris at a time when Ireland were 1-0 down was a game-changer. Reprieved, France hit Ireland late on the break to win 2-0. But any referee can make one mistake, right?

March 25, 1981, on the other hand, has a fair claim to be the most galling night in the history of Irish sport. Ireland were magnificent against the Belgians. Just before half-time, Frank Stapleton gave us the lead only for Portuguese referee Raul Joaquim Fernandes Nazare to disallow the goal for no reason apparent to man.

Worse was to follow. With three minutes left, Senor Nazare awarded Belgium a free on the edge of the box after a dive by Eric Gerets that Greg Louganis would have been proud of, and any actor would have been ashamed of for its lack of realism. The ball hit the crossbar and as Seamus McDonagh went to claim

the rebound he was blatantly fouled, enabling Jan Ceulemans to score the winner which ultimately meant that Belgium went to the World Cup and we did not.

The mother, who with my father travelled to that match at a time when all the Irish fans fitted comfortably into one plane and one hotel, to this day remembers the huge roar of 'Belgique' which greeted that goal. I'm not sure she's over the trauma yet.

So Eoin Hand's Ireland didn't grace World Cup 1982, a tournament which saw a French team we looked every bit as good as go all the way to the semi-finals where they lost on penalties. We could have done something similar and Tony Grealish could have taken his place on the world stage where I'm sure he'd have done himself proud. He always did.

Meanwhile, the knowledgeable Irish fan has had to endure know-nothings telling him that before 'Jackie's Army' we were no good at all at soccer. Spare me. That 1980-1982 team might well have been the best side we ever put out. All it needed was a bit of luck.

It had Dave O'Leary imperious at the back, Mark Lawrenson flitting between full-back, centre-back and midfield and doing a job in each role, Brady in his pomp, Langan busting a gut, Robinson and Stapleton dovetailing perfectly up front. And it had Tony Grealish, Captain Ireland in his green cape zooming in to save the day against overwhelming odds.

We loved him. Everyone loved Tony Grealish.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    I was searching online for Eamonn Sweeney's piece in today's Sunday Indo when I found the photo below. I think it is from the first Ireland v N.Ireland game in Lansdowne Road in September 1978 (finished 0-0).
    Does look like LR but odd that we'd be wearing an away strip for a home game against NI. I was 5 at the time and have never seen any footage of it.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Does look like LR but odd that we'd be wearing an away strip for a home game against NI. I was 5 at the time and have never seen any footage of it.
    I am fairly certain that it was that game given that team wouldn't have played together again (Grealish played at full-back I believe).

Given that it was the first ever game between the FAI and the IFA I suspect that great efforts were being taken to lower tension ahead of the game. It would not surprise me if the FAI made a gesture to wear white as a means of diffusing a potentially controversial issue.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    John Giles discussed his passing last night on Off The Ball - http://media.newstalk.ie/listen_back...sday_part1.mp3
    Starts at 23:40

Interesting comments from Giles about what he thought about calling up players who had qualified for the side, and how Mark Lawrenson was given his call up

More from Off The Ball with Kevin Moran and Eoin Hands memories of Tony.......

Starts at 08:15 and goes through to 17:20
    http://media.newstalk.ie/newstalk/me...p3/2304_fs.mp3

Have to say the more I listen to and read about Tony, the more I wished I could have seen him play in the flesh for Ireland. I mentioned earlier he sounded like a Kevin Kilbane only a couple of decades earlier. However, he played in a time where we were less successful and it sounds like he was much more of a leader on the pitch. The passion and commitment he showed sounds inspirational. No doubt if he was playing today he would be a firm favourite with all Ireland fans but particularly the 2g/3g striking the chord that KK has done in more recent times.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    In light of Tony's death last month I was taking a look back at his era in the Irish team.
    I happened upon 12 minute long extended highlights of an Ireland away game to Norway for WC86 that really illustrated
    the era for me... amazing players, decent team spirit and some woeful luck!

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    That's a bad memory game, I can't watch it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i dont know if its a private affair but his funeral is at 12 in kilburm on quex road Friday if anybody was thinking of going.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 02/05/2013 at 12:35 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    lovely bit of skill there from brady around 4.48
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    A couple of good headed chances for us, text book stuff, just great saves from the keeper.

Great footage, thanks for posting that.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Another piece, I read on one of the other forums.

Dave Hannigan

Ireland's Viking warrior heads to Valhalla

In the days before everybody had a camera in their phone, a journalist named Bob Hennessy kept his own photographic archive of Irish international football. Among the many gems in his private collection was a shot of a party at the Icelandic manager’s house in Reykjavik following a European Championship qualifier in 1983. It captured Eoin Hand and his opposite number Johannes Atlason sitting on a couch in the later stages of the evening, captivated by the sights and sounds of Irish captain Tony Grealish skilfully playing the spoons on his knee.

A single photograph that contained multitudes, it was a portrait of a different time and a very different game. Imagine a journalist today casually taking snaps of Giovanni Trapattoni and Robbie Keane having a few post-match beers with Joachim Low? No, of course you can’t. That could never happen now. It would never happen now. Better yet, imagine a journalist putting the photograph away in a scrapbook as a treasured keepsake of a magical night spent celebrating a 3-0 Irish victory, rather than uploading it onto Twitter in seconds.

When news broke last Tuesday that Grealish had lost his battle with cancer, an entire generation of Irish fans took a collective intake of breath. He was part of the first Irish team many forty-somethings were old enough to get to know and his passing at 56 makes us all a little more aware of our own mortality. It also dredges up bittersweet memories of Ireland sides which, in so many glorious failures under the seemingly snake-bitten Hand, endeared itself to supporters in a way that far more successful outfits in recent years, have never quite managed to do. The return of Grealish and his distinctive beard to the sports pages this week resurrected the disallowed goals and the dodgy refereeing of another era.

Born in London to parents from Galway and Limerick, Grealish was, as the spoons-playing would indicate, one of those children of the diaspora who was truly more Irish than the Irish themselves. If his uncompromising style of play was honed on Hackney Marshes where he was spotted by Leyton Orient’s George Petchey, the abundant facial hair made him look like he’d just arrived in from fishing off the Aran Islands. Of course, his ancestral origins didn’t stop supporters of the many English clubs he played for from dubbing him “the bearded Viking warrior”.

Every obituary has rightfully mentioned Grealish’s unique claim to fame. Being the only man to play Gaelic football and soccer at the old Wembley Stadium is the type of footnote that will make him a trivia question forever, especially when he could also boast an outing at Croke Park. His family was steeped in the GAA. His father Pakie came from from Lisheenkiel, Athenry to London in the 1950s, was instrumental in founding St. Gabriel’s hurling club in 1960, and helped thousands of Irish arrivals in the city get a start over the ensuing decades. Tony’s cousin John scored the winning goal for Gabriel’s in the final of the London hurling championship last year.

As a boy, Grealish and his brother Brian often accompanied their father in a car full of expatriates driving around Paddington, searching for higher ground so they might better eavesdrop the crackling RTE radio signal for championship matches on Sunday afternoons. The kind of background that ensured when the England U-17s called him up, Grealish was quick to pass on what everybody else thought would be an honour.

Petchey, who had put him in a formidable Orient youth team that also featured Laurie Cunningham and Glenn Roeder, was among those advising him to throw his lot in with Ireland Later, the same man wasn’t thrilled to discover Grealish was still playing GAA on Sundays in New Eltham, long after he’d become a first-team regular at Brisbane Road.

“He (Petchey) said, ‘You’ve got to knock this on the head, especially the hurling, let alone the Gaelic football because you’re in the first team now, you’re playing two days a week,’” recalled Grealish in Paul Rowan’s classic The Team that Jack Built. “’All those mad fxxkers can do what they like but you’re not playing with them!’”

For whichever of his many clubs and for his country, there were always better players than Grealish yet few who were so honest in their toiling for the cause. He wasn’t a superstar but he was more than a journeyman. The other day, a Brighton fan recalled his role in their best ever top flight season and described him accurately as the type you noticed and appreciated more when he wasn’t there. Suddenly, gaps started to appear in the midfield and you realised the amount of hard labour he put in so more gifted colleagues, the likes of Jimmy Case at Brighton, Steve Hunt at West Brom, and Liam Brady with Ireland, could wreak havoc going forward.

Although mostly remembered in green for holding down the midfield in a time, as Opel once put it, before the band joined the wagon, Grealish started his Ireland career at full-back when Johnny Giles gave him his debut as a 19 year old against Norway in a friendly at Dalymount Park in 1976. He went on to captain the side 17 times in his 45 caps over the next nine years.

On the biggest day of his professional career, Grealish led Brighton out at Wembley in the 1983 FA Cup final against Manchester United. Steve Foster, the club captain, was suspended for the game and when the team emerged from the tunnel, Grealish was wearing a white headband, exactly like the one Foster was famous for. Some saw this as him giving two fingers to the FA for the ban, others saw it as him acknowledging the club’s spiritual leader. All agreed it was a gesture typical of the type of man he was.

He had a career trajectory typical to the pros of that era. After a good spell at West Bromwich Albion, there was a short stint at Manchester City but, his powers on the wane, there was the inevitable drift down the divisions, Rotherham, Walsall, Bromsgrove Rovers, and a bizarre loan spell in Portugal with Salgueros, the club of his former Irish team-mate Mickey Walsh. Later, he did some managing and coaching off-Broadway and, like all players of his generation, he worked in the real world, dabbling, amongst other things, in insurance.

A few years back, Grealish was the subject of one of those “where are they now?” features. At that time, he was working in Birmingham in a business that described itself as specialising in aluminium recycling.

“I still call it scrap metal,” said Grealish.

No fuss. No pretence. Calling it like was. Exactly how he played.

http://www.davehannigan.com/2013/05/...-heads-to.html

Dave Hannigan is a columnist with the Evening Echo (Cork), the Irish Echo (New York) and the Irish Mail on Sunday (Dublin). An adjunct professor at SUNY Stony Brook and Suffolk County Community College, he's the author of seven books, including Terence MacSwiney: The Hunger Strike that Rocked an Empire, and the newly-released children’s novel Runt of the Litter. He lives on Long Island.

Last edited by Junior; 02/05/2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added pic

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    A couple of good headed chances for us, text book stuff, just great saves from the keeper.

Great footage, thanks for posting that.
    Interesting that we had only won 3 times in 50 years away from home, which Jimmy pointed out. We never win away from home so why does anyone think we are always due one. Me included.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Interesting that we had only won 3 times in 50 years away from home, which Jimmy pointed out. We never win away from home so why does anyone think we are always due one. Me included.
    Probably that's for another thread but in the meantime you could do some homework, if you understood why you think like that, you would understand the answer to the question you pose and could explain it to the rest of us.
    It would certainly be beyond my experience to figure out why you think like you do.

As soon as we won our first significant qualifier away from home, we did manage to qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    More from Off The Ball with Kevin Moran and Eoin Hands memories of Tony.......

Starts at 08:15 and goes through to 17:20
    http://media.newstalk.ie/newstalk/me...p3/2304_fs.mp3

Have to say the more I listen to and read about Tony, the more I wished I could have seen him play in the flesh for Ireland. I mentioned earlier he sounded like a Kevin Kilbane only a couple of decades earlier. However, he played in a time where we were less successful and it sounds like he was much more of a leader on the pitch. The passion and commitment he showed sounds inspirational. No doubt if he was playing today he would be a firm favourite with all Ireland fans but particularly the 2g/3g striking the chord that KK has done in more recent times.
    I completely agree Junior.

It's at times like this where I regret that I was born 10 years too late to see that team in action. I love reading anything about the Hand and Giles eras because they happened just as I was born.

I have bare rememberance of Euro 88 and that's because my dad had the Dutch game on VHS and my first real memory was Italia 90 I would say.

Tony RIP
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I completely agree Junior.

It's at times like this where I regret that I was born 10 years too late to see that team in action. I love reading anything about the Hand and Giles eras because they happened just as I was born.

I have bare rememberance of Euro 88 and that's because my dad had the Dutch game on VHS and my first real memory was Italia 90 I would say.

Tony RIP
    Trust me you wouldn't have enjoyed it. We qualified for nothing. We had close shaves and we were miles away. It was utterly frustrating despite the obvious talent on the field. Some tremendous games though and the atmosphere in Dalymount was second to none for the big matches. How thousands weren't crushed to death there I don't know. Queuing up for the turnstiles with no place to escape to, hemmed in by concrete walls on both sides. As a kid I didn't give it a thought but looking back now....phew. Beating Turkey 4-0 and the Soviet Union 3-0 but none will ever match Bulgaria 0-1 Scotland or Ireland 1-0 Holland.

The "Giles era" did not go down well with the fans in the end. He tried to change the team in to a passing side and it didn't work although he did improve things we came close enough I think. There is one away game I vaguely remember (Strutts where are you?) where Mick Martin was caught fannying around at the back trying to play out of defence, lost possession and the opposition scored. As a player Giles is the best passer of a ball I have seen and it must be hard in a way for him to see players who wouldn't be fit to tie his laces earning €50k a week. However, perhaps I am different, but I don't enjoy watching players for the sake if it. I want them to succeed with my team/club. I would get no enjoyment if the critics rave over a performance by McCarthy and yet we lose. I don't regret not having seen great Irish players of an era before I went to games because the team wasn't successful. I can enjoy watching Messi and did Pele but as regards my own players only in so far as what they do for my team/club.

Apologies for the ramble.

p.s. I was at that game where East Terracer posted the photo. Some great talent mixed with the mediocre.
    pp.s. As regards the picture of Tony G leading the Brighton team out at the Cup Final, he is wearing a head bandage as a tribute to the Brighton captain Steve Foster who was either injured or suspended (Foster wore a bandage in the semi-final). Lovely gesture by Tony.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Trust me you wouldn't have enjoyed it. We qualified for nothing. We had close shaves and we were miles away. It was utterly frustrating despite the obvious talent on the field. Some tremendous games though and the atmosphere in Dalymount was second to none for the big matches. How thousands weren't crushed to death there I don't know. Queuing up for the turnstiles with no place to escape to, hemmed in by concrete walls on both sides. As a kid I didn't give it a thought but looking back now....phew. Beating Turkey 4-0 and the Soviet Union 3-0 but none will ever match Bulgaria 0-1 Scotland or Ireland 1-0 Holland.

The "Giles era" did not go down well with the fans in the end. He tried to change the team in to a passing side and it didn't work although he did improve things we came close enough I think. There is one away game I vaguely remember (Strutts where are you?) where Mick Martin was caught fannying around at the back trying to play out of defence, lost possession and the opposition scored. As a player Giles is the best passer of a ball I have seen and it must be hard in a way for him to see players who wouldn't be fit to tie his laces earning €50k a week. However, perhaps I am different, but I don't enjoy watching players for the sake if it. I want them to succeed with my team/club. I would get no enjoyment if the critics rave over a performance by McCarthy and yet we lose. I don't regret not having seen great Irish players of an era before I went to games because the team wasn't successful. I can enjoy watching Messi and did Pele but as regards my own players only in so far as what they do for my team/club.

Apologies for the ramble.

p.s. I was at that game where East Terracer posted the photo. Some great talent mixed with the mediocre.
    pp.s. As regards the picture of Tony G leading the Brighton team out at the Cup Final, he is wearing a head bandage as a tribute to the Brighton captain Steve Foster who was either injured or suspended (Foster wore a bandage in the semi-final). Lovely gesture by Tony.
    I know what you're getting at but they are memories you have that I could never have. I'm jealous of that.

To know what the name Gary Mackay means is one thing. To know what it felt like is something else and you, geysir, Stutts and your ilk are lucky people for having it.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The Irish Post tribute.
    http://www.irishpost.co.uk/sport/ton...f-irish-london

Go well Tony, the morra. RIP.

27. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast