Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clough Dies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Clough Dies

News coming in that former Notts Forest Manager has died.
    R.I.P.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

RIP Cloughie

Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    R.I.P.

Football legend Clough dies

Legendary former Nottingham Forest and Derby County boss Brian Clough has died from stomach cancer at the age of 69.
    Clough, who suffered ill-health for many years and had a liver transplant in 2003, died in Derby City hospital.

Clough took Forest to successive European Cups in 1979 and 1980, and also won successive League titles.

His eccentric approach became legendary but Clough was one of the most respected bosses in the game, bowing out of management in 1993.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3673568.stm

Very sad end for a true legend of the game

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish
    R.I.P.
    He was a legend, always said what he thought, didn't care what anyone thought. R.I.P.

"I only ever hit Roy the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." On dealing with Roy Keane.

"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhea." On Man Utd opting-out of the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championship.

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one." Looking back at his success.

"Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes." Reflecting on England's exit from Euro 2000.

"It was a crooked match and he was a crooked referee. That was a tournament we could and should have won." On the 1984 UEFA Cup semi-final Forest lost to Anderlecht.

"I like my women to be feminine, not sliding into tackles and covered in mud." On women's football.

''That Seaman is a handsome young man but he spends too much time looking in his mirror, rather than at the ball. You can't keep goal with hair like that." On England goalkeeper David Seaman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    A narky, miserable, grumpy old basturd who drank too much, abused people too much and generally gave the whole world the two fingers....I know I'll miss him...RIP Cloughie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A true legend. May he rest in peace
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A great, great man. In the year of his greatest triumph, he got so drunk he loaned the cup, the flippin', you know, cupto my uncle for the weekend. No, really, he actually did. He was that much of a legend. It was on top of the TV the whole weekend. One of the funniest pictures I've ever seen, my cousin and my uncle, holding the cup in their living room.
    And he gave Roy a slap into the bargain. A genius.
    RIP Brian.
    Tea. Corduroy. Space Travel.

thecorner
    the man u love to hate

R.I.P.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    remember when there was a pitch invasion at a forest game and he started smacking people left right and centre? or when he went into the wrong dug out??

legend
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    remember when there was a pitch invasion at a forest game and he started smacking people left right and centre? or when he went into the wrong dug out??

legend
    Utter legend.
    Tea. Corduroy. Space Travel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He brought the famous Nottingham Forrest side to the Brandywell for a friendly in 1986. Great memories.
    Go lí cúnna ifrinn do thóin bheagmhaitheasach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They don't make them like that anymore....R.I.P.
    Some of his quotes are priceless and will forever be remembered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    R.I.P. Cloughie. Bless him
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just heard another quote from the great man there, about how he won two european cups

"if god wanted us to play football in the clouds, in the sky he would have put a pitch up there"
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

I loved his column in 442 as well, very off the wall

RIP

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruairi
    Just heard another quote from the great man there, about how he won two european cups

"if god wanted us to play football in the clouds, in the sky he would have put a pitch up there"
    Rememeber the Sultans song, "Give him a ball and a yard of grass......" about nigel clough, it's got that quote in it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Class player, class manager. Will always have a place in my memories especially that green jumper!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    A narky, miserable, grumpy old basturd who drank too much, abused people too much and generally gave the whole world the two fingers....I know I'll miss him...RIP Cloughie
    Amen to that. Just saw archive footage of him on the news punching various fans of his club after they invaded the pitch. A true legend.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ol Big Ed.

True character of the game, always entertaining.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From todays IT:

Old Big 'Ead
    Compiled by Mary Hannigan

On himself

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business, but I was in the top one."

"The River Trent is lovely - I know because I have walked on it for 18 years."

"Very few players have the courage of my convictions."

Reporter: "How good can Martin O'Neill become - as good as you?"
    Clough: "No, that's being ridiculous."

"If I had an argument with a player we would sit down for 20 minutes, talk about it then decide I was right."

"Don't send me flowers when I'm dead. If you like me, send them while I'm alive." - After his liver transplant

"I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed - I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me." - On what he wanted on his headstone.

On football

"If God had wanted us to play football in the clouds, he'd have put grass up there."

"Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhoea." - On United's withdrawal from the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championships.

On England

"One reason I never became the England manager was because the FA thought I would take over and run the show. They were dead right."

"To get a top job at the FA, you obviously need to be a failure in management." - On David Platt's appointment as England under-21 manager.

"At last England have appointed a manager who speaks English better than the players." - On Sven-Goran Eriksson's appointment.

"I'm glad Eriksson made a name for himself outside his own country because from what I know about the Swedes and their approach to football, England crowds are in danger of being sent to sleep."

On managers

"For all his horses, knighthoods and championships, he hasn't got two of what I've got. And I don't mean balls." - On Alex Ferguson's failure to win a second European Cup.

"Anybody who can do anything in Leicester but make a jumper has got to be a genius." - His tribute to Martin O'Neill.

"Listen, I'm old and I know it, but I'm thankful I'm not old and senile. Because if I was senile I might have been daft enough to do what Bobby has done." - On Bobby Robson taking the Newcastle job.

"It's getting to him ... just look at him next time he's on TV. He never looks at the interviewer and comes out with baffling gibberish. The cameraman deserves a bonus for keeping his head in the frame." - On Gordon Strachan, then Coventry manager.

"I don't want to see him as a whinger and a dictator - I had more than enough of that with Margaret Thatcher. Perhaps we'll have a new television quiz show this winter - Who is Alex Ferguson Not Talking to Now? That'll be a long programme."

On players

Clough: "Have you bought a house in Nottingham yet?"
    Recently-signed and struggling player: "No boss."
    Clough: "Well, don't bother."

"I've had problems with him, because he doesn't talk to me. Mind you, he doesn't talk to anybody. Queer lad." - On Nigel, his son.

"I get sick and tired of hearing how much running Keane does in a match, how he covers every blade of grass. He's entitled to be fresher than most - he has so much time off. All those suspensions; he's had more holidays than Judith Chalmers." - On Roy Keane.

"Being thick isn't an affliction if you're a footballer, because your brains need to be in your feet. And Beckham works hard, he's brave and he crosses a ball superbly." - On David Beckham.

"His version of warming up was to stand on the same spot with his weight on one leg - then shift the weight on to the other. He was fat, often unshaven, dressed like a tramp and smoked one fag after another. In fact, he was a slob - an absolute slob, but I just sensed that he had immense talent." - On Forest winger John Roberston.

"My advice to Roy Keane is to ignore the thought that the grass is greener elsewhere because he might find the cows have crapped on it." - On talk of Keane leaving Manchester United.

Others on Clough

"Laddie, that man scored 200 goals in 270 matches - an incredible record - and he has won cup after cup as a manager. When he talks, pin back your ears." - Bill Shankly after a photographer complained that Clough was too outspoken.

"When I started earning a living 15 years ago I was told I would never be as good as Brian Clough, never score as many goals, or do this or that like Brian Clough - and most of the time it was him telling me." - Nigel on life as Brian's son.

"He used to wait for me as I was coming out of the toilet - and I was 29, married with two kids and a big mortgage - and he'd ask me if I'd washed my hands." - Lee Chapman on life at Forest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Cloughie R.I.P. A legend with some of the best quotes, and mad as a sack of badgers.

Fave quote spotted from todays Sun:

Cloughie was coming back from a match in the wintertime. He gets back to his missus, and gets into bed. His missus says "God your feet are freezing", and Cloughie says "Eh luv, you can call me Brian in bed luv"

GENIUS.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast