Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Keogh D Forest Green Rovers b.1986

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    A nice article on Keogh, you will love it TOWK!

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/r...7-1788042.aspx

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Eh, didn't we lose 5-1?

I love the charitable description of his Wembley slip up: "he didn't make the contact he would have liked".

It's a bit like Emperor Hirohito saying the war has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage, after two cities had been obliterated by atom bombs.

I'm curious about the comment by the writer where he says all of these views were unprompted. It was a flipping interview. An interview, by definition, is a prompt to offer opinions. It does appear true though that Richard does wear his heart on his sleeve. It doesn't bother me.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Keogh "suffered the physical results of a bad clearance".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I love how everyone ripped the **** out of me for what I said about Keogh a few months ago and now slowly, but surely, everyone is coming round to my way of thinking.

The lad was shaky against Serbia, shaky against Costa Rica and calamitous against Portugal. How many chances are we going to give a 28 year old liability who is a relative novice at Championship level?

He compliments his own performance against Costa Rica even though they were unable/unmotivated to challenge Ireland's backline and the one time they do threaten is when Keogh is shrugged off the ball - a recurring theme against Portugal.

There was not one peep from him when it came to Shane Duffy's debut performance in that game - not a single compliment - yet Duffy looked more experienced than him out there.

It's absolutely laughable the stuff he has been coming out with about the standard of his performances, "learning" and looking forward to his "next call up".

We have Dunne, O'Shea, Wilson, Delaney, St Ledger, Clark, Pearce, Duffy, O'Dea and McShane as vastly superior options and young lads like Kiernan and Hoban who aren't far off a senior call up.

He deserves a medal for self-promotion but to paraphrase Stutts, "he talks a good game but...."

He's a liability and I think I speak for a lot of us that I will be very worried if I see his name anywhere near a teamsheet let alone a bench again.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I see a lot of Paul O'Shea in you, TOWK.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I love how everyone ripped the **** out of me for what I said about Keogh a few months ago and now slowly, but surely, everyone is coming round to my way of thinking.
    No, they're not. Actually, I suspect the general consensus on him hasn't changed much.

The lad was shaky against Serbia, shaky against Costa Rica and calamitous against Portugal. How many chances are we going to give a 28 year old liability who is a relative novice at Championship level?
    Starting his fifth season of Championship football. Hardly a novice.

There was not one peep from him when it came to Shane Duffy's debut performance in that game - not a single compliment - yet Duffy looked more experienced than him out there.
    Why would he mention it? Was he asked about Duffy's performance? Did he give any interviews after the game? If so, what players did he mention?

It's absolutely laughable the stuff he has been coming out with about the standard of his performances, "learning" and looking forward to his "next call up".
    it's almost like he wants to play for his country, isn't it?

We have Dunne, O'Shea, Wilson, Delaney, St Ledger, Clark, Pearce, Duffy, O'Dea and McShane as vastly superior options and young lads like Kiernan and Hoban who aren't far off a senior call up.
    Yes, Yes, full back so not an apt comparison, probably, not at the moment, maybe, maybe, doubtful, and maybe. Kiernan spent the first half of last season playing League Two football, and Hoban spent most of last season on the bench. Neither are viable options at the moment
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hoban was injured most of the season, tets, not on the bench.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Hoban was injured most of the season, tets, not on the bench.
    He was an unused sub 12 times between January and the end of the season: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Play...0&seasonID=143
    only 6 appearances in total (4 starts, twice off the bench)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Aye, but he was coming back from injury so you wouldn't expect him to be starting. I think it's misleading to say he was on the bench for most of the season when he missed five months with injury and then worked his way back to being an irregular substitute.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Tets, people were touting Keogh as a decent third or fourth choice option in defence around a year ago. Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't be bricking it if he was playing against Germany, Scotland and Poland? Every time he has been tested, he has looked shaky.

Started playing Championship football at 24. Began playing Championship football at full-back. Playing at a lower level and/or significantly older than other CB options. He is not an improvement on O'Dea, McShane or St Ledger. None of them deserve to be ousted by him after his spring and summer performances. Others are established.

Why wouldn't he mention him? He's a 22 year old lad making his debut for his country. If he wasn't so self-absorbed, maybe he would congratulate the kid on a strong debut but he's too busy praising himself. It's just like the self-absolution after the Derby Playoff loss. And just like shrugging off being culpable for virtually every goal in that hammering against Portugal.

Tets, everyone wants to play for their country. We got it the first 5 or 6 times he said it. Why does he keep saying it? National pride or campaigning for a squad place? And how on Earth would anyone assume they are guaranteed to be in the next squad after those performances?! The guy should just put his head down instead of constantly doing pressers. What on Earth is he doing them for anyway?!

Hoban and Kiernan have both been linked with PL teams in the near past and both have upside. Keogh has no upside. He is 28 years old full-back turned centre-back with no upper body strength who hasn't mastered the basics of defending at this level and we will get caught out if he plays competitively. To add to what Charwin said, Hoban's locker room presence and talent has been praised heavily by Beppe Sannino. He has a good chance of starting this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't know if people were touting him as a 3rd/4th choice option, but is that really an endorsement of him? Bear in mind against Germany at home last time out we had Darren O'Dea. We have a group of centre halves who are all pretty error-prone and don't play at a very high level, and Keogh is one of them. Until they prove otherwise, Duffy and Kiernan are in that camp too. Realistically, at centre half, we have John O'Shea who is clearly our best option, then we have Richard Dunne with a big question mark, then we have everyone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    Aye, but he was coming back from injury so you wouldn't expect him to be starting. I think it's misleading to say he was on the bench for most of the season when he missed five months with injury and then worked his way back to being an irregular substitute.
    fair enough, he did spend the majority of the second half on the bench
    the original point was that he's not in contention for a squad position right now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I do agree with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Not ready for a call up now but a call up for the WC Qualifying campaign is achievable if they progress at their current rate and stay injury free. Dunne, O'Shea and Delaney are aging, uncertainty surrounds St Ledger's club career, O'Dea and McShane - rightly or wrongly - are out in the cold and other potential CB options will be needed at LB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You mean Wilson will be needed at LB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Richard Key O
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I see a lot of Paul O'Shea in you, TOWK.
    You might, but not in the same way I saw him in stutts and vice versa.

I did thank his post on reading this post though.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    A few months ago you referred to Keogh as a "decent option".

Decent options we have; Dunne, O'Shea, Clark, Delaney, Pearce, Duffy, McShane, Keogh
    That is as much as anybody on here ever hoped he might be.

Tets, people were touting Keogh as a decent third or fourth choice option in defence around a year ago. Are you honestly telling me you wouldn't be bricking it if he was playing against Germany, Scotland and Poland? Every time he has been tested, he has looked shaky.
    Find one post where somebody has touted him as third or fourth choice. It should be easy enough to find in a relatively short thread (although it would probably have only two or three pages if it wasn't for your obsession and subsequent replies). I'm sure Richard is grateful that you have given his foot.ie profile more substance.

Your evidence should preferably include at least one of the following:

- A quote from somebody saying that Keogh is cut out for international football
    - A quote saying that Keogh is better than Dunne, O'Shea, Clark, Pearce, Wilson, Delaney, Duffy, etc, etc.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Any luck with that TOWK?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    I'll be bricking it no matter who plays against Germany.

Started playing Championship football at 24. Began playing Championship football at full-back. Playing at a lower level and/or significantly older than other CB options. He is not an improvement on O'Dea, McShane or St Ledger. None of them deserve to be ousted by him after his spring and summer performances. Others are established.
    Please point out where I said he was an improvement on any of those players, or deserved to be ousted by him. At the moment St Ledger is without a club, so he's hardly likely to come into contention for the time being anyway

Why wouldn't he mention him? He's a 22 year old lad making his debut for his country. If he wasn't so self-absorbed, maybe he would congratulate the kid on a strong debut but he's too busy praising himself. It's just like the self-absolution after the Derby Playoff loss. And just like shrugging off being culpable for virtually every goal in that hammering against Portugal.
    I still haven't seen any interview from him after the Portugal game. If he did one, what players did Keogh mention? What about the other players involved in that game? Did they all give interviews? Should equal vitriol be poured on those who didn't mention Duffy?

Tets, everyone wants to play for their country. We got it the first 5 or 6 times he said it. Why does he keep saying it? National pride or campaigning for a squad place? And how on Earth would anyone assume they are guaranteed to be in the next squad after those performances?! The guy should just put his head down instead of constantly doing pressers. What on Earth is he doing them for anyway?!
    Most players mention international football when given the opportunity, why are you picking on Keogh? Where did he say he was guaranteed a spot in the next squad? He's Derby club vice-captain, Shaun Barker is captain but he's missed a lot of game time in the last two seasons with injury, so Keogh is far more likely to do press conferences than other players

Hoban and Kiernan have both been linked with PL teams in the near past and both have upside. Keogh has no upside. He is 28 years old full-back turned centre-back with no upper body strength who hasn't mastered the basics of defending at this level and we will get caught out if he plays competitively. To add to what Charwin said, Hoban's locker room presence and talent has been praised heavily by Beppe Sannino. He has a good chance of starting this season.
    Keogh hasn't played at right full for more than three years, he's more experienced at centre half in the Championship than Hoban and Kiernan combined. When was Kiernan linked with a Premier League side?

Nobody has ever said Keogh was a guaranteed starter, the general consensus has only ever been that he's a decent squad player, there's very little between him, O'Dea, and McShane at the moment for the 3rd/4th choice centre half.

I really don't see why you've picked on him so relentlessly since you joined the board
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/08/2014 at 9:36 AM.

Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast