Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCD 0-0 Drogheda United

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts

UCD 0-0 Drogheda United

Once again, Paul Doolin failed to win in Belfield Park, and indeed it will be his Drogheda side who will be much the happier with a replay after this exciting Cup tie at a packed Belfield Park on Friday night. At times, UCD made a complete mockery of Drogheda's league position and played the Drogs off the park for spells, but they ended up clinging on as Drogs came close to snatching a late victory.

As in the Second Round against Cork, UCD started slowly and Drogheda were by far the livelier team in the opening 20 minutes. However, the UCD defence, and Conor Kenna in particular, were exceptional, and Drogheda failed to create any clear-cut chances.

As the game wore on, and UCD got used to the pace, the Students started to peg the visitors back. Seán Finn had a trademark long-range drive inches wide, while Rob McAuley maybe went to ground a little too early when pushed in the back in the box; Robbie Martin was booked after for protesting. UCD suffered a blow midway through the first half when Alan Mahon, who had picked up a hamstring injury during the Bray game and had played on, and in fact hadn't trained all week, limped off after winning a challenge in defence. In a very attacking substitution, Pat McWalter came on, with Pat Sullivan dropping to full-back. Initially, though, he didn't seem interested in playing there, and got forward to support the attack at every possible moment. Drogheda looked a very ordinary side during the latter stages of the first half, resorting to hoofing clear to clear their lines before the next attack came on them. The defence in particular was looking very shaky, and there were several needless corners and throws given away courtesy of badly misplaced passed when they came under pressure.

Any thoughts that the half-time break would take the wind out of UCD's momentum were dispelled shortly into the second half as the Students started to dominate their opponents, and finally carved out some decent opportunities as well. Robbie Martin chased a ball which Drogheda keeper Gary Rogers had covered, but he inexplicably let the ball slip out of his grasp; Martin teed up Willie Doyle, but he took too long and, with Rogers still scrambling back into place, scuffed his shot badly wide. You got the feeling, though, that had Doyle played more than five minutes' football in the previous five games, the result could have been different.

Next up with a chance was Pat McWalter, who beat his marker for pace to bear down on goal, but his shot was weak, and Rogers got down well to save. Then Gary Dicker, hugely impressive in centre-mid, ran onto a clearance only to drive his shot into the ground and take the sting out of it.

Drogheda belatedly got back into the game, and a long-range drive was well turned away by UCD keeper Darren Quigley. From the corner, UCD cleared to Pat McWalter, who was tackled - fairly by the referee, but to the obvious consternation of the UCD bench. Drogheda poured forward again, and three shots from the edge of the area were blocked away by the UCD defence.

The game was developing into a real end-to-end Cup tie, with Drogheda countering well only to find the UCD defence recouping in numbers, while for UCD's part, Pat McWalter and Mick O'Donnell were causing problems on the wings, while some of the build-up play, even from defence, was of the highest order.

As the game entered the closing stages, Drogheda had their best spell of the match, forcing a series of corners - one of which caused the cancellation of Brian Newguy Gannon's introduction after nearly three months out injured. Yet again, though the UCD defence coped admirably, and were really only stretched as the game entered injury-time. Darren Quigley came out for a through ball, but Conor Kenna got their first and cleared, but only to forward Mark Rooney - 2 goals in 47 league games for UCD and Drogheda - and with Quigley backpedalling, Rooney unleashed a brilliant first-time shot which was destined for the bottom corner when, with the UCD fans scarcely able to believe that the player they had actually chanted to be introduced was about to end the Cup dream, Quigley got down to make an even better save and tip the ball just wide.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon (McWalter 25), McAuley, Kenna, McNally; Dicker, Sullivan, Finn, O'Donnell; Doyle (Kierans 70), Martin. Subs not used - Whelan, Foley, Gannon

Att - c 1620
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/09/2004 at 1:01 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    with the UCD fans scarcely able to believe that the player they had actually chanted to be introduced was about to end the Cup dream,
    Really???!!
    We couldn't hear you. Oh, and your four friends.

It annoys me that UCD will get a slice of the gate from last night and monday night having contributed fock all to the gate receipts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StarandCrescent
    Oh, and your four friends.
    Yes...five of us. This is how good basic maths skills are in Drogheda, is it?

It annoys me that UCD will get a slice of the gate from last night and Monday night having contributed fock all to the gate receipts.
    Aw diddums. Would you rather Monaghan? Or Kilkenny? Or Limerick? Or Bray or Kildare or Dublin City or Athlone or Cobh?

And sure youz are all fly-by-nights anyway. Where were youz when UCD played in front of 200 people in Drogheda just four years ago?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 11/09/2004 at 8:35 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UCD 0-0 Drogheda United

Yes it was interesting indeed to hear so many people singing " I'm Drogheda Till I Die" , there were not so many of you singing anything when you were in the wrong half of the First Division in the early days of Harry McCue's reign.
    I wonder how many of these "die-hards" will still be singing if and when the bad old days of yo-yo dom return to the club's League position at some point!

For the few hundred of your supporters who came to our previous Cup ties in 2001 I am pleased to see your team doing better than back in the First Division that season. The rest of ye are blow in's , bandwagon jumpers and johnny come lately's. You need to prove yourselves during a bad season when results are rubbish as are the team's performances and your team escapes relegation by a whisker, to see how loyal you really are!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Yes it was interesting indeed to hear so many people singing " I'm Drogheda Till I Die" , there were not so many of you singing anything when you were in the wrong half of the First Division in the early days of Harry McCue's reign.
    I wonder how many of these "die-hards" will still be singing if and when the bad old days of yo-yo dom return to the club's League position at some point!

For the few hundred of your supporters who came to our previous Cup ties in 2001 I am pleased to see your team doing better than back in the First Division that season. The rest of ye are blow in's , bandwagon jumpers and johnny come lately's. You need to prove yourselves during a bad season when results are rubbish as are the team's performances and your team escapes relegation by a whisker, to see how loyal you really are!
    these dregs will be gone as soon as they they fall from the top.evry club has this bandwagon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Noticed a shocking amount of bandwagoners when last in Drogheda actually.
    It's the only show in town these days. Every club has them when they're doing well, I have no problem with that ay all, but their pomposity when they're flying high can be repulsive. Fair play to UCD.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    of course teams that are doing well attract better crowds. Doesn't matter if your Drogheda United or Manchester United, if you are at the bottom of the first division your crowds will be poor.

My point was that i see it as unfair that UCD will get a slice of the gate having only contributed a small fraction of the gate receipts, thats all. However rules are rules and I have to accept that. I think your flattering yourself by comparing your elf to Bray or Monaghan, if we were in either of those grouds the home support would surely have been respectable (numbers wise).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Unbelievable! Is this thread for real? Are you guys for real? Here we have fans of UC bloody D, Longford friggin Town AND Dublin bleedin City slagging of Drogs for having too many fans!!! Typical.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    the big bad green eyed monster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think if you actually READ any of the above posts you will quite clearly see that nobody is saying that Drogheda have "too many fans" or anything like it.
    Simply that it is uncouth to **** all over clubs that are trying to attract fans just because you happen to not have that problem, at the moment.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UCD 0-0 Drogheda United

Not at all. Just pointing out you have a travelling support now that you are top of the League many of these would disappear if your were bottom of the League and even more would disappear if you were in the First Division.

Our gates have halved since being relegated. Dublin City's crowds are down this season cause they are not winning a lot of games. Unlike last year when they were winning the League there were in.

A lot of the fans you have now have been attracted by success and are fickle and far from being Drogheda till they die, they are going to leg it once a run of bad results occurs and it will eventually happen .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I NEVER saw that many Drogheda fans show up to Belfield before - even for relatively big games like last year's game near the end of the season that was huge for both teams, there were about a quarter of what showed up on Friday.

I know a good few people personally who never went near Drogheda games until recently. As soon as they weren't "shíte" anymore, though...
    And stay out of Bumtown, ya no talent bum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    I think you're flattering yourself by comparing yourself to Bray or Monaghan, if we were in either of those grouds the home support would surely have been respectable (numbers wise).
    We would have had about 300-400 at the home game. Don't think Monaghan, Kilkenny, Limerick or Kildare would have had much more than that, if at all. We had about 30-40 in Drogheda spread across the ground, again, can't see those teams bringing that many on a Monday night. Of course, the idiotic way of looking at the home support is to assume that it's those who are singing for the home team, and that everyone else is an away fan, which is nonsense.

And after all the slagging of our fan-base, I was expecting to see a hardcore singing support of a couple of hundred at the game tonight. Not the paltry 30-40 who were singing for most of the evening (well, when you weren't losing anyway). Was talking to an English person at the game who said that youz didn't really make a lot of noise (as I wait for the first muppet to point out that it was more noise than we made, which isn't the point at all).

You had 200 at a Premier Division game against us four years ago. You had 1200 in Belfield last Friday, and maybe 1700 tonight, 2000 tops. Seems to me like a case of the bandwagon-jumpers. Fair dues for getting that many, but it doesn't mean that they're not bandwagon-jumpers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    Not at all. Just pointing out you have a travelling support now that you are top of the League many of these would disappear if your were bottom of the League and even more would disappear if you were in the First Division.
    Well obviously. Its the same for every club as has also been pointed out in some of the other posts. I really don't see the point in all of this.