Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Greece - Wednesday, 14th November 2012 - Friendly

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What Trap had to say after the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuMJoEjdWpIextratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Coleman was brilliant, thought Clarke had a very good game too. McClean woeful, again. Seriously don't get all the hype about him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park_Lane View Post
    never mind that, where was manuela for the post match interview with trap??
    Probably off learning some new instrument. The flute or something. I know, I know....
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Look on the bright side. Last time we lost to Greece at home we went on to qualify for the WC!

We're miles off the standard required to challenge Sweden. That's about all I learnt from last night.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think Steven reid somes it up quite well here, there wasn't a great deal of positives to take from the game, and there was no urgency. All these fringe players should really have been pressing and showing some urgency but they didn't.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...t-3294563.html
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    They need a reality check.
    There have been quite a few of those already of late, but there appears to be little happening to stamp out the malaise.

Wasn't able to see the match myself due to work, but was able to catch some highlights here:

We didn't start off too badly by the looks of things before reverting to type. Greek goal was well-finished but O'Shea should have been much closer to his man by the time he got the shot in. We did create a few more goal-scoring chances, but it's impossible to judge an overall performance without having seen the full 90 minutes.

The atmosphere sounded pretty flat; little surprise given the poor attendance and lack of excitement surrounding the team of late.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Ouch glad I missed the second half, went to play football instead.
    what?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    what?
    I play 5-a-side on a Wednesday which ordinarily I might skip if Ireland are playing, but didn't last night. Good call as it turns out.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Nope not at all. Supporting is not a part-time game, when it suits. And my point was, you did not miss the game, you chose to do something else. Completely different

DI no you can't watch the highlights and think we did ok or guage performances. That's why you have to watch the full game.

McClean is very limited. Holohan did ok, I didn't feel he could do an awful lot as he was played too high up the pitch, out of position, and we chose to hit high ball after high ball. Trap should be on the sideline instructing to change this approach when its not working, it was clear as the light of day that we couldn't and wouldn't score against a physically imposing Greek team from high balls, with no height or strength up front, holohan was playing piggy in the middle. Whoever thought McClean had a good game doesn't have a clue about football and I think i will block them now.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 15/11/2012 at 8:47 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I play 5-a-side on a Wednesday which ordinarily I might skip if Ireland are playing, but didn't last night. Good call as it turns out.
    Heresy!

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    DI no you can't watch the highlights and think we did ok or guage performances. That's why you have to watch the full game.
    I've found it on Irish Torrents.

Rather annoyingly, I have to work two week-day evenings of my job - those being Wednesday and Thursday - due to my other day commitments during the week, and when negotiating which evenings I'd work with my employers, I informed them I wanted Tuesday nights and Friday nights off if possible so I wouldn't miss our World Cup qualifiers (well, I left out the latter bit). I overlooked the friendlies, unfortunately, neglecting to think that the FAI might continue playing those on Wednesday nights. First match I've not been able to see in I can't remember how long. That Delaney; why, I ought'a...! *shakes fist*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Nope not at all. Supporting is not a part-time game, when it suits. And my point was, you did not miss the game, you chose to do something else. Completely different
    Don't be a self-righteous WUM POS.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Heresy!

Attend nearly every match possible, watch those I can't go to obsessively, camp out in the Ireland anorak forum and then miss half a friendly and it goes all Papillion...

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Attend nearly every match possible, watch those I can't go to obsessively, camp out in the Ireland anorak forum and then miss half a friendly and it goes all Papillion...
    I know, I know. My tongue was firmly wedged in my cheek.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I know, I know. My tongue was firmly wedged in my cheek.
    Don't worry Danny, I know!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Mine wasn't - which I'm sure you knew too Nothing to do with WUMing either.

Its all about choice that's all, for you. For me, personally, its completely different.

And actually I'd go as far as to say, especially after reading SRs piece, that the team needs less of that mentality, which is why they lack such urgency, especially in these friendly games, no can-do attitude. Their application should be the exact same no matter who or when or what context the game is being played in.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Mine wasn't - which I'm sure you knew too Nothing to do with WUMing either.

Its all about choice that's all, for you. For me, personally, its completely different.

And actually I'd go as far as to say, especially after reading SRs piece, that the team needs less of that mentality, which is why they lack such urgency, especially in these friendly games, no can-do attitude. Their application should be the exact same no matter who or when or what context the game is being played in.
    Come on POS - it was a smug and condescending jibe at the quality of my 'choices', designed to position your 'choices' as better and more committed to supporting the team.

A disappointingly churlish thing to say because, while I may not measure up to your standards in just this instance, it's hardly worth having a scoffing dig about it.

As for your attempt at marrying me not watching half-a-friendly to the side's lack of commitment on the field - ridiculous.

There's all sorts of reasons for people not turning up but it shouldn't equate to a disinterested team.

Anyway if you want to try and make that point fine, but kindly do so without reference to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    You Derry guys, you're neither in nor out are ye, free to do what you want .....**jokes**
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I play 5-a-side on Tuesdays and as a result I missed the second half of the Faroes game. I'm not fit to call myself an Ireland supporter.

POS, open the manbag and break out the cat-o-nine-tails, for clearly I am not worthy!

Though I did attend that práisce last night so... Hmmmm... maybe I'm back in the game.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I used to fly home for the friendlies even, but TV is just fine for this type of night.

I thought we started OK. I actually thought it was as if Trap had let them just go out and do their thing. Coleman in particular seemed to enjoy license to play his natural game.

Then after 20 or 25 minutes we seemed to revert back to "stand off them" mode. I couldn't tell whether this was because Greece started to find their feet and started playing more fluently, or whether it was because we started to stand off them that they did so.

Anyway, I hear John Devine is organising a Festival of Football for kids on 8th December with young kids from all around the country playing 3x3 non-competitive games. I hope to hell it's successful! I'm very envious of how teams like Greece have an effortless fluency about them at times.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Come on POS - it was a smug and condescending jibe at the quality of my 'choices', designed to position your 'choices' as better and more committed to supporting the team.

A disappointingly churlish thing to say because, while I may not measure up to your standards in just this instance, it's hardly worth having a scoffing dig about it.

As for your attempt at marrying me not watching half-a-friendly to the side's lack of commitment on the field - ridiculous.

There's all sorts of reasons for people not turning up but it shouldn't equate to a disinterested team.

Anyway if you want to try and make that point fine, but kindly do so without reference to me.
    A good friend of mine once said, a Country's football team is a good representation of its people.

There is a general feeling of disinterest amongst the Irish public with regards to the national football team and that resonates in the teams performances.

Maybe not you individually, but sum up all those "individuals" and you get the point.

Its not an "i'm not more metal than you" argument, if that's what you are reading from it.

To sum up, there is a general malaise affecting the Irish team at present, and it could be charactierised from a support point of view as well. All stakeholders appear somewhat disinterested*

Funny that everyone who thanked your post didn't attend the game and/or missed some of it though And incase you were wondering I didn't attend the game, but I didn't have a choice, I did ensure though that I got to see all of it. As bad and as dour as it was.

*There are always exceptions
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 15/11/2012 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast