Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    Problem is at games like Cyprus the noise level tends to low anyway, as all over the football world, games where you expect your side to win are harder to get excited about.
    I personally can't agree with you there.
    If anything, I was so nervous at games like Portugal and Russia etc. that I couldn't even clap. In games where the expectation level is less I'm more relaxed and can sing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat O' Banton
    look at the way that this done on the continent, can you imagine Roma club officals having to try to help their own fans produce an atmosphere?
    You can never compare support at club games and support at international games.
    On Saturday the eL supporters once again led the way with the songs and the chants but sound doesn't travel well on the North Terrace so the efforts were isolated. I think a megaphone in each area is needed to spread the word when a song starts.
    I had to sing the whole of "All You Need is Duff" on my own!
    Just wait and see how many people I get to sing that with me on Wednesday.
    Hope Duff plays now so that I can be tested on that
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I personally can't agree with you there.
    If anything, I was so nervous at games like Portugal and Russia etc. that I couldn't even clap. In games where the expectation level is less I'm more relaxed and can sing more.

You can never compare support at club games and support at international games.
    On Saturday the eL supporters once again led the way with the songs and the chants but sound doesn't travel well on the North Terrace so the efforts were isolated. I think a megaphone in each area is needed to spread the word when a song starts.
    Just wait and see how many people I get to sing that with me on Wednesday.
    Hope Duff plays now so that I can be tested on that

Horses for courses Hombre, I'm normally more screaming and shouting at these games, although I must admit that the last 15 mins against Portugal I could barely say a word I was so cripled with nerves.

Agree with the megaphone idea have seen it throughout the continent and it does work well. Until then everyone on this thread should at least agree to one thing, next time that your at an Ireland game and you hear someone chanting an Ireland song join in.

Singing Section anyone? I know these are horribly patronising but it could be a solution.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    Apologies for my drunken tirade which I now regret
    Best post in ages. You talk a hell of more sense drunk than some people talk when they've not touched the devil's buttermilk for 20 years.

Lansdowne Road's atmosphere is sh*te. I can remember when the home crowd at the Denmark game in the eighties (numbering about 7K and almost outnumbered by the opposition) made more noise than you ever have got since the early nineties. I began giving up at the Poland game in 91. Some old c*nt behind me in a GAA sweater spent the whole game moaning, the pr*ck. This was just two years after Spanish TV were inundated with complaints about not being able to hear the commentator for all the noise. Since then I've heard of someone seeing an old lady doing the knitting at a top, no tickets to be had, match.

Bring back the old rebel songs, I say! Sean South, The Boys of the Old Brigade, Men Behind the wire etc, although I'd draw the line at 'Say Hello To The Provos.' FFS, what's Amhrán na bhFiann? A romantic ditty about 'love across the Shankill-Falls divide'? Anyway, anything's better than the cr*p atmosphere at present.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    I didn't even hear that being sung, I think that sums it up.
    Last edited by Schumi; 06/09/2004 at 3:14 PM. Reason: Forgot a word!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Best post in ages. You talk a hell of more sense drunk than some people talk when they've not touched the devil's buttermilk for 20 years.

Lansdowne Road's atmosphere is sh*te. I can remember when the home crowd at the Denmark game in the eighties (numbering about 7K and almost outnumbered by the opposition) made more noise than you ever have got since the early nineties. I began giving up at the Poland game in 91. Some old c*nt behind me in a GAA sweater spent the whole game moaning, the pr*ck. This was just two years after Spanish TV were inundated with complaints about not being able to hear the commentator for all the noise. Since then I've heard of someone seeing an old lady doing the knitting at a top, no tickets to be had, match.

Bring back the old rebel songs, I say! Sean South, The Boys of the Old Brigade, Men Behind the wire etc, although I'd draw the line at 'Say Hello To The Provos.' FFS, what's Amhrán na bhFiann? A romantic ditty about 'love across the Shankill-Falls divide'? Anyway, anything's better than the cr*p atmosphere at present.

F**king right on. 'C'mon yee young rebels and listen while I sing, for love of ones country is a terrible thing. It banishes feeling...........
    You all know the rest
    Never eat yellow snow!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm happy to say i did meself proud by leaving saturday afternoon with a sore throat, there was too many long gaps of nothing though.

As for the "Hey Baby" bit .......................who the hell thought of that they should be shot with their own balls of sh*te.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'hooped jersies'!

It's one thing some of the fans seeing the Republic of Ireland and Celtic F.C. as the same entity, it's another when soccer's governing body in Ireland promotes our international games as if the FAI was the Irish franchise for Glasgow Celtic, rather than the trustees of a team representing a sovereign
    nation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis
    Apologies for my drunken tirade which I now regret

No need to be sorry, you were only telling the truth. Lansdowne road's apmosphere is desperate. The apmosphere in Basel on wednesday night was fantastic even a few old song's that have'nt been song at Ireland game's in a long time got a run out.
    It's a shame it can't be like that all the time.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poocher
    It's one thing some of the fans seeing the Republic of Ireland and Celtic F.C. as the same entity, it's another when soccer's governing body in Ireland promotes our international games as if the FAI was the Irish franchise for Glasgow Celtic, rather than the trustees of a team representing a sovereign
    nation.
    In what way do the FAI do this?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlest Hobo
    said it before on another thread, too many people turn up without the right top on. Our team doesn't wear green and white hoops.

Gone are the days, when we used to sing the rebel songs, or the tacky renditons of Jacky's Army, and OLE, OLE
    Gone are the days, when we used to raise our voices and hands, and rejoice the victories over our foes, or cry and console ourselves over our pints, when defeated.
    what a load of ******. too many cnuts on hear telling people what they should and should not wear to Ireland games

funnily enough theres me thinking that Celtic fans get criticised for singing too many rebel songs......you have me all confused
    Last edited by Junior; 10/09/2004 at 11:55 AM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvo
    The apmosphere in Basel on wednesday night was fantastic even a few old song's that have'nt been song at Ireland game's in a long time got a run out.
    It's a shame it can't be like that all the time.
    Wednesday night was great.My fingers were bleeding from hitting that bodhran so much .There was barely a quiet moment.'Que Sera' was the icing.

It was dissapointing though that B Kerr was so outspoken on our home fans after the game but didn't give a single word of praise to how the away fans performed that night.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its all well and good complaining about the atmosphere at Lansdowne but until we have more songs than "Ireland, Ireland", "Keano, Keano" and "come on you boys in green" nothing's going to change.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Wednesday was a great show until the 82nd minute when this c*nt below us gave out to the little buddha - aka Davros - shouting at him to 'Shut up! Shut the f*ck up!' While Dav had some hard words for a certain Corkonian, at the time he was giving out about the ref once more falling for Yakin's diving. The muppett in the sky blue and white rugger shirt soon shut the f*ck up himself when he saw the abuse he was getting from those around Dav. Anyway this is the sh*t we are getting. Told to shut up at a football match. It makes me f*cking mad.

Can someone put me right here but I think I saw this particular rugby shirt in an Irish Times on that great Irish sporting occasion which gets tons of publicity in the Irish press (no not the All -Ireland Football final), the Leinster Schools Rugger cup, of which if I'm correct these are the colours of that fine establishment for knocking out some right bell-ends, Blackrock School. Perhaps it was Patrick J?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wednesday was a great show until the 82nd minute when this c*nt below us gave out to the little buddha - aka Davros - shouting at him to 'Shut up! Shut the f*ck up!' While Dav had some hard words for a certain Corkonian, at the time he was giving out about the ref once more falling for Yakin's diving. The muppett in the sky blue and white rugger shirt soon shut the f*ck up himself when he saw the abuse he was getting from those around Dav. Anyway this is the sh*t we are getting. Told to shut up at a football match. It makes me f*cking mad.
    Yeah saw that alright. I think most people around quickly told that idiot in the rugby shirt to shut up himself. There were a few muppets there who looked like they were never at a match before but the vast majority were well into it and the atmosphere was great for most of the game.

Lopez, was it yourself, Davros and a few others that we met outside the pub (the one with the Union Jack and tricolour over the door) at around 2 in the morning so?
    Champions!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    Yeah saw that alright. I think most people around quickly told that idiot in the rugby shirt to shut up himself. There were a few muppets there who looked like they were never at a match before but the vast majority were well into it and the atmosphere was great for most of the game.

Lopez, was it yourself, Davros and a few others that we met outside the pub (the one with the Union Jack and tricolour over the door) at around 2 in the morning so?
    Was that you? FFS. Wouldn't of guessed. Small world alright. Who was the other bloke with you? The drunken savage with me was Sylvo, BTW. Funny how none of us brought up this web site or a certain Scottish football club. Just as well, eh? Anyway's, nice talking to you and a good night was had with a bizarre meeting later in two pubs with Brian Kerr, and the removal of the 'Sam Maguire Cup' from a pub who thought it was funny to charge me 21 francs for a cognac. Might meet for a pint in Paris.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was that you? FFS. Wouldn't of guessed. Small world alright. Who was the other bloke with you? The drunken savage with me was Sylvo, BTW. Funny how none of us brought up this web site or a certain Scottish football club. Just as well, eh? Anyway's, nice talking to you and a good night was had with a bizarre meeting later in two pubs with Brian Kerr, and the removal of the 'Sam Maguire Cup' from a pub who thought it was funny to charge me 21 francs for a cognac. Might meet for a pint in Paris.
    Yeah nice meeting ye, I like to put faces to the names on here.
    Don't know if I'll make Paris or not yet but if I do I'm sure we'll definately bump into each other again for a pint.
    The bloke with me that you were also talking to was Neil.

Nice scarf ye had btw!
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davros
    Ah,the Golfer-types.....God love 'em......my language was a little coarse
    Of course you're language was "a little coarse".... you were at a football match ffs!
    If one or two muppets get upset by such things they shouldn't be there in the first place. Fcuk em, it's like the Dub in front of us who got upset with one of the lads for calling the ref a jackeen!
    Champions!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm
    Of course you're language was "a little coarse".... you were at a football match ffs!
    I think Dav's language was a little coarse because there was a 'Y' in the day

Did he match his sending off (as non-playing manager) in a Sunday league game last term- allegedly for calling an oppo defender a "fat, bald, c*nt"?

Your game in Paris looks like a good 'un. They're saying bring back Santini already!
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Its all well and good complaining about the atmosphere at Lansdowne but until we have more songs than "Ireland, Ireland", "Keano, Keano" and "come on you boys in green" nothing's going to change.
    The Swiss outing proved this to be complete nonsense.The other songs are there,we sang many on Wednesday.
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=lopez]Was that you? FFS. Wouldn't of guessed. Small world alright. Who was the other bloke with you? The drunken savage with me was Sylvo.

Hey I seem to remember you were'nt to far off the mark yerself, only change that it was you and yer new trophy friend sam Maguire guiding the way home not me for a change.
    Can't say I got much revision done yesterday on my first day of studying.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast