Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Summer Soccer............

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down Summer Soccer............

There is a thread on eL.net which I going on about the merits of summer soccer. I was told that Longford Town are considering Friday night games for the summer league. I'll never see the town play at home, with a 8.00 p.m. K.O. cause I'ld only make 8.20 if I was doing very well. (I've also got G.A.A training on Friday nights but that a individuals problem) So in effect all I'ld see is the Dublin 'home' games as I can't take all that time of work. I'd suggest a poll but there is never as many Longford people voting as I would like.

Macy, I know for the time being this effects you, Is it worth writing about it in the Prog and let officials know before they make a decision. You know the way these things happen! I'm only mentioning this now as it maybe something where a sustained effort is required

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I would, but I haven't managed to get the time to do articles for weeks - crazy at work. You'll have seen my views on the eL thread, and I still think Saturday afternoon or Saturday night is the way to go (for all teams) or even Sunday Afternoons. Our league shouldn't be fitting itself around the GAA, and should have the balls to pick the times and season that suits it best. I really don't think that in Longford say, that many of the pearse park regulars even think of attending Town games. And lets be honest the League and Leader cup are still to be decided so we're clashing with that now....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Actually just thought that it is going to be a battle within the club - look at the stupid decision for the Pats home game, with the match moved because of the Roscommon GAA final. It's a load of sh!te and it is all about the club (and our league) having confidence in the product we have.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well even if we tried to co-operate with the GAA in a slight manner, We might succeed. Firstly forget about Roscommon GAA. Secondly forget about Longford club gaa. But it might be our interest to avoid televised inter-county Championship games. I don't think it's really in our interest to clash with those. Locally, However I don't think we draw that large a crowd from Pearse Park. and if we did those would only attend their respective clubs games which because of a general spread of support wouldn't make sence to sacrifice the Regional (Dublin, etc.) support.

IMO most 'Town' based support doesn't really support GAA Longford is predominately armchair GAA support anyway.

BTW If Longford Town were on the television more, the armchair fan might be encourged to go to Flancare, as a county we are starved of top sport, Longford Town represents the best opportunity to view live sport ion a national level in Longford.
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Saturday afternoons then - Bogball qualifiers on on a saturday evening live. Sunday afternoons live games and then Sunday evening is the Longford Championship.
    However, IMHO I really don't believe that people who would rather stay in to watch the GAH on the box are ever going to come out for a proper football game. Alright - avoid clashes with the provincial finals, and then the quarters, semis and final, after that I don't think it matters.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Well even if we tried to co-operate with the GAA in a slight manner, We might succeed
    they don't give a fook, and in Longford the county board can't even get cooperation between sides it controls. Somewhere between No Hope and Bob Hope of that happening. Even in the lead up to the Cup Final, the main comment from the chairman was about how we had taken up their colours as the away strip.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    erm... low praise indeed - this is too heavy for this time of the morning
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.