Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Duffer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Unfortunately in the "What XI would you pick" threads a worrying amount do seem to want to put Duffer up front. I think Morrisons two goals though will help change that.
    But that was when Robbie was supposed to be injured for the first 2 games. With everyone fit nobody would want Duff up front.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    But that was when Robbie was supposed to be injured for the first 2 games. With everyone fit nobody would want Duff up front.
    Everyone was fit plenty of the time when McCarthy was manager and, although there was constant criticism of his use of Kilbane over Duff, plenty of people thought this was the best idea, allow Kilbane to do the donkey work and allow Duff to work his magic. It's a theory with absolutely no basis and stems solely from McCarthy. The man had his moments but this gets on my wick to a huge degree, his worst legacy, as I already said. Maybe it's just people trying to be contrary, I don't know, but there are people out there who are convinced the bloke should play up front as he's our best option. To be honest, I'd much rather have Duff putting crosses on a plate for the likes of Morrison as opposed to Kilbane putting crosses - if that's what you want to call them - into Duff, who is not a striker, has never been a striker and cannot play as a striker. End result - we don't create and we don't score.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    When you start to look at the irish team it doesnt exactly inspire confidence. There are problems all over the park. Duff is a good player but looks like he has defintely fallen out of favour with Chelsea. I would make a bolt for Liverpool if I were him.

If he does play on the left (his best position & where he should start), lots of defenders are well ready for him and close him down very quick. I dont think Duff is being used effectively without a second winger. Andy Reid being it but doesnt look like he is physically up to international standards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejollyrodger
    Andy Reid being it but doesnt look like he is physically up to international standards.
    He had 9 consistently superb performances for Ireland, just because he wasn't the best against the Swiss doesn't mean he's suddenly not up to international standards.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345