Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extratime Podcast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Question Extratime Podcast

Does anyone know if there is any other way to listen to it other than iTunes?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    There doesn't appear to be. I don't use iTunes as I download all my other podcasts directly to my phone so it seems odd to exclude potential listeners in that way.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    i am glad that q was asked as I had probs downloadin that podcast from itunes so havent listened to it..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    15 mins on why no-one cares about the setanta cup, not a mention of the 1st division, hopefully not a pattern for the rest of the season. Judgement reserved.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    15 mins on why no-one cares about the setanta cup, not a mention of the 1st division, hopefully not a pattern for the rest of the season. Judgement reserved.
    SAme as that. Heard better LOI talk around a pub table.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    SAme as that. Heard better LOI talk around a pub table.
    What a pathetic comment. Given how rare it is to have any LoI media, could you not put some thought into what you post?

This podcast is put together by what I imagine are unpaid volunteers (I know none of them personally at all - I have no axe to grind here), who are clearly finding their feet with the medium. They deserve support for at least trying to fill a glaring gap in media coverage. Over the last few days we've been discussing on other threads how poor media coverage is, and when someone puts their head above the parapet to address this, its shot down by people like you, who will be the first to complain that there's no LoI in the media.

The production values are very high - sound quality is broadcast standard, which is no small matter considering the utter ****e that is out there, particularly in many football podcasts.

The pundits/journalists are likeable, and the anchor has a very professional way about him. The woman (apols, forgot your name) was a bit nervous to start with, but clearly knows her stuff, albeit dominated by Premier Division. Brendan White did a decent job, and he also appears to know his stuff.

The choice of subject matter needs to improve: its a little early to devote a discussion to who's favourite for the title given most squads aren't assembled. However the discussion on transfers was well informed. The absence of a first division discussion needs to be amended, but I think they were right to discuss the Setanta Cup, if only to prove how uninterested we (and the panel themsleves) are.

A reasonable start given the enormous constraints they were operating under (squads not assembled; first division not even agreed to), and hopefully the podcast will become as solid as the extratime site itself is.

Next episode should hopefully discuss the process of LoI getting off the ground each season - teams that are going under; teams that might be joining; licensing etc. Those issues are relevant to this time of year.

Good luck to all of them.
    Last edited by gormacha; 15/01/2012 at 4:51 PM.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    What, so because someone makes an effort were supposed to laud them!

Its an Ok effort but would need to improve, which I hope it does and probably will when the season gets up and going and there will be better content. Any extra LOI coverage is always welocmed. Best of luck to them with it but a bit of critisim isint aint a bad thing you know.
    Last edited by redobit; 15/01/2012 at 5:09 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    What, so because someone makes an effort were supposed to laud them!
    I agree with you. Personally I thought it was almost unlistenable. It's a decent idea, and hopefully it improves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Constructive criticism is great. But completely putting down something as awful is not constructive criticism.
    They have a long road ahead of them but having not listened yet I can't say whether I like it or not, but as said you must laud the fact they are doing it at all.

The lack of LOI coverage is shocking in this country so I take my hat off to them for even attempting it at all. There is a lot of work goes into doing a podcast of such quality, was talking about doing it last season with a friend and as we looked at how much work goes into it at all we decided against it because of time constraints. As said, fair play to them and hope they keep it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Hey everyone, I'm Brendan from the podcast and I'm happy to respond to the above.
    I take on board what has been said and thanks for listening. For our first ever podcast, for Extratime and personally for myself, it was ok, it wasn't anything special and we know that.

On the first podcast itself, the draw for the setanta cup is coming up soon so that's why it was spoken about. It wasn't just a 'no-one cares' about it to be fair, the positives (trophy, money) were discussed as were the negatives (travel, timing of games etc). The First Division will be featured on the second podcast when it comes out.

We have some great ideas for the podcast for the future and it should improve as we get closer to the season. I agree it is early to be discussing favorites for the league but it was more so to go through some of the players who have signed for different clubs.

The response of people listening to it has been good and all we want is that you give us a chance to improve which I believe we can, and will. Any feedback, suggestions or general comments are welcome. Email Extratimelive@gmail.com and we'll gladly take them on board.
    Cheers, Brendan.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I downloaded it and gave it a go yesterday. Given that I was in a foul humour, I figured I'd need a pick me up. So I'll review it like this.

Host - good, clear, asked decent questioned but meandered at times. Seemed to be focused on digs at Sligo Rovers Pokemon recruiting policy (ie gotta catch em all). Didn't ask any hard questions and seemed afraid to call a spade a spade - apart from the Sligo digs.
    Guest 1 - (male) - not very clued in I felt, I think it was he who said he'd never heard of Aaron Callaghan - though after researching him said he was a great coach. I'd want to drop him but again he can improve, just don't say silly things like never hearing of Aaron Callaghan before, and be on a LOI podcast.
    Guest 2 - (female) - tried, like guest 1, to be complimentary about everyone. As a Sligo fan she tried to be calm and polite, but didn't offer anything else about the club. Seemed to know her players and was easily the best of the 3 voices. She'd give a little hope for the podcast.

Production values - 6/10 (clear sound, good intro, not too long)
    Discussion - 4/10 (Host can improve, just needs to be in charge and actually demand answers. Stop trying to play nice with all, call a gobdaw a gobdaw, have a set of liathroidi as Uncle Bill would say)
    Hope for the future - 6/10 (can be 8/10 if they get a varied guest line up and the host improves. The LOI needs this and the league will benefit if the podcast tackles a full range of interests. The RTE show is afraid at times to really show teeth, while there's nothing on Off the Ball to even listen to)

I'd give it a few more tries, it will improve, they just have to stick with it and give it a year, bed it in and make sure they don't start licking wholes in order to retain favour with clubs and officials, then they'll lose their key demographic - the LOI fans.
    Last edited by Spudulika; 15/01/2012 at 7:13 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm Brendan from the podcast and I'm happy to respond to the above.
    I take on board what has been said and thanks for listening. For our first ever podcast, for Extratime and personally for myself, it was ok, it wasn't anything special and we know that.

On the first podcast itself, the draw for the setanta cup is coming up soon so that's why it was spoken about. It wasn't just a 'no-one cares' about it to be fair, the positives (trophy, money) were discussed as were the negatives (travel, timing of games etc). The First Division will be featured on the second podcast when it comes out.

We have some great ideas for the podcast for the future and it should improve as we get closer to the season. I agree it is early to be discussing favorites for the league but it was more so to go through some of the players who have signed for different clubs.

The response of people listening to it has been good and all we want is that you give us a chance to improve which I believe we can, and will. Any feedback, suggestions or general comments are welcome. Email Extratimelive@gmail.com and we'll gladly take them on board.
    Cheers, Brendan.
    Brendan, you just posted as I was typing. There's a lot of good to take from the show, you just have to bare some teeth. There's so much there to discuss and I for one really appreciate and support what you're doing. Keep it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Cheers for the response. There's a plan in place to improve the podcast and we're already working for the next few podcasts so hopefully we can improve. And just to add, it wasn't me who didn't know who Aaron Callaghan was
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I enjoyed the listen, tbh. There's obviously room for improvement, but it's great to have a LOI show to listen to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Tis awful.
    This is a chat, like the kind you have with your mates down at the pub.The most knowedgeable person was taken of it(Jessica) before H/T & then it descends into a slagging match about Bray qualifying for the Setanta Cup.I woulld call it pure Shoite and i would recommend that the lad with the blocked nose that comes in after Jess get some sinux from the chemists.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Give it a chance, for goodness sake! Best of luck to all involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    Tis awful.
    This is a chat, like the kind you have with your mates down at the pub.The most knowedgeable person was taken of it(Jessica) before H/T & then it descends into a slagging match about Bray qualifying for the Setanta Cup.I woulld call it pure Shoite and i would recommend that the lad with the blocked nose that comes in after Jess get some sinux from the chemists.
    Maybe you should put yourself forward as a guest speaker. I'm sure your knowledge and presentation skills are top notch. I'd look forward to that.

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    Maybe you should put yourself forward as a guest speaker. I'm sure your knowledge and presentation skills are top notch. I'd look forward to that.

Dont take this the wrong way Gorm, but I think you need to get off the high horse a wee bit there. The show has a laugh at Bray Wanderers, says the Setanta Cup is crap and hardly worth having, jokes about clubs robbing players from other clubs and then you get all offended because some people say its bad. Come on.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Nice to see a properly produced LOI podcast. Sound quality etc, as mentioned before.

They seem like genuine fans and to be fair to them, it was their first podcast, not that they didn't do well. Host was very professional.

Thought Sellotanta chat dragged on a bit and didn't agree with a lot of opinions expressed, but it was their opinion and life would be boring if we all agreed, not that people posting here knows what that is like.

They are volunteers, so let's give them a bit of support, praise what they do well and be constructive in our criticisms about what we didn't like.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast