Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polkraine;Racism?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Fair play bennoc, find myself agreeing with boovidge here.

Crosby, if that's the best they can do, you need to find more Ukrainians...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Arthur, what if it works to our advantage? Balotelli is obviously waiting to implode, already saying he will walk off. What if it happens in a crucial Match 3 VS Ireland? And he goes all crazy ala head butt in the World Cup? And we benefit from the whole ordeal b/c he hears some native fans saying whatever? Would you urge the Irish team to walk off as well?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Look, my original point was that i felt it was unfair on English football and society for it to be used as some sort of yardstick for worldwide levels of racism. ie "they're EVEN MORE racist than the English!". I think it's pretty hard to deny that the English game has made great strides in terms of hooliganism and racism in the last twenty years or so and also it's true that England is one of the most cosmopolitan places in the world. I wasn't trying to deny that there are problems in England. There is scum everywhere in the world. But the two groups you mentioned sort of prove my point. One isn't even a far right party by strict definition and the other is a loose association of pathetic lager louts (led by a 2nd gen Irish fella!). Who do you think gets a harder time in 2012, an Irish guy in London or a black African in Kiev?

Just forgot to add - you might not know it but there was a young Irish guy stabbed to death last week in North London and his fathers throat cut in a racist attack (but black on white seems to be less well reported in the media!)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I spent a couple of summers living in London and witnessed some shocking racism. And the majority of it was between blacks and Asians or indeed within the black and Asian communities. I did work with one guy who was a BNP sympathiser but to be honest anything he said paled into insignificance compared to the stuff within or between the minority communities. Didn't witness any significant anti-Irish stuff to be honest, more generally anti-white stuff. But hey, that's life. There are people like that pretty much everywhere.

Straying back on-topic.. there are risks anywhere you go. Hopefully if the Irish fans stick together and keep the wits about us (could happen) and we'll be fine. There may be problems there, but for the duration of the tournament at least they're likely to be suppressed.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy
    But do the French use football as a vehicle for right-wing politics, beyond some of PSG's more notorious fans?
    I don't know, don't care, and tbh I don't think it makes any difference.

The point still stands. You can show half an hour of extreme disorder in or out of a football ground and carefully edit, package, and market it to make it look the norm.

Last year saw some of the most vicious riots the UK has seen in decades. It was racially motivated, however the Brits/BBC would be outraged if another country started going over there to make documentaries warning people to stay away from the Olympics this summer. And rightly so.

They think they can take the moral high ground over racism, but they're just as responsible for it as anywhere else.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Arthur, what if it works to our advantage? Balotelli is obviously waiting to implode, already saying he will walk off. What if it happens in a crucial Match 3 VS Ireland? And he goes all crazy ala head butt in the World Cup? And we benefit from the whole ordeal b/c he hears some native fans saying whatever? Would you urge the Irish team to walk off as well?
    Yes, if it was racism, based on colour.
    Have you not noticed Stephen Kelly? Or do you not recall Messrs. Hughton, Fleming, McGrath, Phelan, Babb, Morrison etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Straying back on-topic.. there are risks anywhere you go. Hopefully if the Irish fans stick together and keep the wits about us (could happen) and we'll be fine. There may be problems there, but for the duration of the tournament at least they're likely to be suppressed.
    Years ago maybe, but my recent experience is there are too many gobby types in our support these days, if Tallinn was anything to go by and witnessed borderline racist behaviour there.
    A tiny minority but enough to take the edge off enjoyment of the experience.

And can't see them 'sticking' with anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    I don't know, don't care, and tbh I don't think it makes any difference.
    Well maybe you should....Apathy towards racism is almost deplorable as committing it in my book.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ffs.....how can these sort of idiots get elected.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...and-zones-fans

Jan Tomaszewski, a former Polish goalkeeper, said last August he was ashamed of the current Polish team which was made up of players who were not "true Poles". Tomaszewski, now an MP for the rightwing Law and Justice party, said: "This hotchpotch lacks only a cannibal from Africa, who once ate a Polish missionary. This is not a Polish team. There are Colombian and German stray dogs."

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Eejit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Things haven't gotten off to a great start with black players in the Dutch camp being subjected to monkey chants during a training session open to the public earlier: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...use?CMP=twt_gu

The problems occurred as the players began the session by jogging a lap of the pitch only to be greeted at one end of the stadium with monkey noises and loud jeers. On the second circuit, they were even louder and it was then the players decided not to go around again. "At least now we know what we can encounter," the Holland coach, Bert van Marwijk, said with heavy cynicism. "Very atmospheric."

Uefa subsequently tried to deny that it was racially motivated, saying they had checked with the Dutch squad and had been told it was not thought to be of that nature. Instead, the official line is that a small part of the crowd was protesting about the fact that Krakow had not been made one of the host cities. Another theory that has been put forward is that Wisla's supporters did not want their stadium being used by anyone but their own club and were simply booing the Dutch players.

Van Bommel, however, responded angrily when it was put to him not everyone had heard monkey noises. "You need to open your ears," he said. "If you did hear it, and don't want to hear it, that is even worse."

Privately, the midfielder is understood to be unhappy that the authorities are not treating the issue more seriously, but the incident is still threatening to be a major embarrassment for Uefa, coming before a ball has even been kicked, and will increase the scrutiny on Poland's supporters when the tournament opens with the co-hosts playing Greece in Warsaw on Friday.

The Polish authorities have been eager to dispel the sense that the backdrop to this tournament will have racism at its centre, and the country's prime minister, Donald Tusk, went through an elaborate public relations exercise on Thursday to drive home the point. Tusk was accompanied by a television crew on a 90-mile journey to Lodz to dine with Poland's first black parliamentarian, John Godson, and his family, including relatives who had flown in from Nigeria. The idea was to show the improvements both in Poland's road network and acceptance of different races.

Godson criticised the BBC Panorama documentary Euro 2012: Stadiums of Hate that had warned racism would be rife. He argued that Poland was a "hospitable and tolerant country" while Tusk wore a badge that said "Welcome" and said he was convinced there would be no problems: "I very warmly invite all English people. You will definitely not encounter anything unpleasant here."

Panorama had focused on the racist elements in the support of Krakow's two major clubs, Wisla and Cracovia, as well as highlighting the seriousness of the problem in Ukraine. Michel Platini, the Uefa president, has subsequently said the referees have been empowered to take teams off the pitch if there are serious issues – but added that any player who walked off without permission would be booked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Yeah, even deadspin is picking up on it.
    http://deadspin.com/5916739/it-took-...-racist-chants

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Good on vB. Let's hope Dutch players are now more collectively 'politically correct' though my Dinamo Berlin pal tells me it's a big problem in the old DDR...

As he jokily says, Russian c**** taught them this...
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 08/06/2012 at 1:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    One more, even CNN US picking up on it. (and they are usually ass backwards on everything.)
    Long article.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/07...nes/?hpt=hp_c2

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    As DI says all over The Guardian, but they'll probably be smacked down as 'do gooders'?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    UEFA have confirmed there were "isolated incidents of racist chanting": http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18363736

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Bit of fisticuffs at game last night- less reported is all the USSR style extreme Soviet nationalist emblems that a lot of Russians appear to enjoy waving around in Poland. Having lived in Poland I know how much they hate the communists (over the nazis)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12