Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    Did the under 19s play today?
    Yes, lost 1-0 to Iceland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    U19s keeper Josh Keeley signs for Spurs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    U19s keeper Josh Keeley signs for Spurs.
    cant make sense of this. was he holding out and not signing a deal with pats to say he hasnt played? loaned another keeper this year and signed odomusu as a 2nd choice??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    cant make sense of this. was he holding out and not signing a deal with pats to say he hasnt played? loaned another keeper this year and signed odomusu as a 2nd choice??
    I don’t really get what you mean? He was third choice at Pats. He’s just turned 19. He’s a very promising keeper and I really rate him but he’s our third choice from that u19 class behind Arlo Doherty and Dan Rose. Meanwhile Odumosu when he was playing was 2nd choice for the 21s. Odumosu is better currently keeper but obviously two years older. And clearly they rate the West Ham keeper higher than Odumosu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I don’t really get what you mean? He was third choice at Pats. He’s just turned 19. He’s a very promising keeper and I really rate him but he’s our third choice from that u19 class behind Arlo Doherty and Dan Rose. Meanwhile Odumosu when he was playing was 2nd choice for the 21s. Odumosu is better currently keeper but obviously two years older. And clearly they rate the West Ham keeper higher than Odumosu.
    how is a guy wanted by spurs not at least challenging to be no1 at pats? hes comfortably 3rd choice aswell , clancy went out at brought odumosu in after his few trials in uk. i dont think odumosu is up to much tbh, just surprising pats havent trusted this guy more? normally pretty good at playing kids once they have the ability, age means little to them.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    how is a guy wanted by spurs not at least challenging to be no1 at pats? hes comfortably 3rd choice aswell , clancy went out at brought odumosu in after his few trials in uk. i dont think odumosu is up to much tbh, just surprising pats havent trusted this guy more? normally pretty good at playing kids once they have the ability, age means little to them.
    Could it be that he’s focusing on his Leaving Cert? Unless he did it last year.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    He played last year against Finn Harps. Got the treatment on his first corner and did well in the game. New manager sees things differently. Once Clancy signed Odumosu he was always going to have him as No 1 or 2. He was his keeper last year at Drogheda. Assume loan keeper has to be played.
    Great move for Josh and money for Pats so everyone is a winner. Wish him the best of luck.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu19...rs-for-uk-camp

Mix of home and foreign based players. Osagie seems to have just signed for Celtic from West ham and idiakhoa seems to have come through from the lower leagues to get a move to Luton having been at cherry Orchard previously.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    Cian Coleman missing!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Clubs don't have to release players. Few lads missing like Abankwah, Murphy, Curtis, Ferizaj, Grehan, Brooks. Mohan probably wants to get a look at some new faces and few lads that have been in previous camps with others not available atm.

Ronan Maher made his debut for Walsall at the weekend and had been in with the U15s and U16s a few years ago. Hopefully they get a chance to meet up again before the qualifiers at the end of September. Normally they'd have a camp with games the month before the qualifiers but half of them are being played in September instead this season.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    755 Posts
    Unbelievable - I saw that Osagie lad signing for Celtic last week and honestly though that's good, they're taking their speculative punts on non-Irish players this year for a change.

Then he goes and gets called up to our Under 19s a few days later!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mu19...rs-for-uk-camp

Mix of home and foreign based players. Osagie seems to have just signed for Celtic from West ham and idiakhoa seems to have come through from the lower leagues to get a move to Luton having been at cherry Orchard previously.
    Frankie Deane's dad follows me on twitter. He's a teacher in Glasgow, big Ireland fan. Frankie only signed for Burnley two weeks ago, and I was surprised Celtic didn't offer him a new deal.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    and I was surprised Celtic didn't offer him a new deal.
    A blessing in disguise I would suggest.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Unbelievable - I saw that Osagie lad signing for Celtic last week and honestly though that's good, they're taking their speculative punts on non-Irish players this year for a change.

Then he goes and gets called up to our Under 19s a few days later!
    It makes sense though, only an Irish player would be brainless enough to go to Celtic as a youngster.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    It makes sense though, only an Irish player would be brainless enough to go to Celtic as a youngster.
    This thing of Celtic not playing youngsters is way over stated. If they are good enough they play. We complain that we sent a "good" batch of players there when Lennon was in charge and none got a chance. Luca Connell, Afolabi, Coffey... where are they now. Connell in L1, Afolabi and Coffey with no clubs. All had crap loans while at Celtic. A striker like Afolabi needs to be getting 20 goals in the Scottish Championship while on loan to get near Celtic 1st team, instead Im not sure he got 3.

The young players going there have to take responsibility too. If a player is good enough Celtic will give you a chance as they have with plenty of players over the years. But its also a club that has Internationals in every position. Whether they are top end of world football is irrelevant, for the most part International players at Celtic are very very good pros and its not easy to displace them as young player.

I think there is often the thought that because Scottish football is a bit crap it should be an easy route to 1st team football. That might be true of most clubs outside of the big 2, but if you go to Celtic with the attitude that you are going to stroll into the team and not put the work in then you will not get anywhere there.

Instead of the constant lazy narrative that Celtic is poor for young Irish players, maybe we should be seeing that most of these players just werent/arent good enough

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    This thing of Celtic not playing youngsters is way over stated. If they are good enough they play. We complain that we sent a "good" batch of players there when Lennon was in charge and none got a chance. Luca Connell, Afolabi, Coffey... where are they now. Connell in L1, Afolabi and Coffey with no clubs. All had crap loans while at Celtic. A striker like Afolabi needs to be getting 20 goals in the Scottish Championship while on loan to get near Celtic 1st team, instead Im not sure he got 3.

The young players going there have to take responsibility too. If a player is good enough Celtic will give you a chance as they have with plenty of players over the years. But its also a club that has Internationals in every position. Whether they are top end of world football is irrelevant, for the most part International players at Celtic are very very good pros and its not easy to displace them as young player.

I think there is often the thought that because Scottish football is a bit crap it should be an easy route to 1st team football. That might be true of most clubs outside of the big 2, but if you go to Celtic with the attitude that you are going to stroll into the team and not put the work in then you will not get anywhere there.

Instead of the constant lazy narrative that Celtic is poor for young Irish players, maybe we should be seeing that most of these players just werent/arent good enough
    They are playing Kenny who was scoring goals for fun in the LOI in the 5th division every week…that should tell you a story in itself about how bad Celtic are at developing youngsters. I simply go by Celtic’s recent track record of developing youngsters from their academy, either they are terrible at developing youth or they are terrible at giving youth a chance, which one is it? The trend I see with Irish players is they seem to leave Celtic worse player than when they came in.

They won’t be good enough because they arrive as kids and Celtic won’t do much at developing them and they’ll end up leaving on a free a few years later.

I’m still sort of in disbelief that there are still people on here trying to defend Celtic like I said above when you have someone like Johnny Kenny who was a star in the LOI playing in the 5th division in Scotland every week that should speak volumes as too how badly they are at bringing players through, it’s quite evidently clear he should be if not in the Celtic squad on loan at another SPL side, the way his development is being dealt with just reconfirms what I’ve always thought about Celtic.

A young player will never be brought through it h because of one impresses the word will be “he’s not ready”…well no **** he isn’t ready, he’s playing in the 5th division every week…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    They are playing Kenny who was scoring goals for fun in the LOI in the 5th division every week…that should tell you a story in itself about how bad Celtic are at developing youngsters. I simply go by Celtic’s recent track record of developing youngsters from their academy, either they are terrible at developing youth or they are terrible at giving youth a chance, which one is it? The trend I see with Irish players is they seem to leave Celtic worse player than when they came in.

They won’t be good enough because they arrive as kids and Celtic won’t do much at developing them and they’ll end up leaving on a free a few years later.

I’m still sort of in disbelief that there are still people on here trying to defend Celtic like I said above when you have someone like Johnny Kenny who was a star in the LOI playing in the 5th division in Scotland every week that should speak volumes as too how badly they are at bringing players through, it’s quite evidently clear he should be if not in the Celtic squad on loan at another SPL side, the way his development is being dealt with just reconfirms what I’ve always thought about Celtic.

A young player will never be brought through it h because of one impresses the word will be “he’s not ready”…well no **** he isn’t ready, he’s playing in the 5th division every week…
    11 goals in 31 games is scoring for fun? He's a long way off playing at Celtic's level. He was completely bullied against Rovers and had to be taken off at half time in his last outing. I'm not knocking the lad. He has loads of potential but let's not rewrite history to prove a point, even if I do agree that Celtic seem to buy Irish players without a clear pathway to developing them. It almost seems like they just want to keep a semblance of an Irish connection at times.
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

But If Kenny went to Southampton for example would his pathway to 1st team football be easier? Being a very good player at LOI level is a million miles away for how exceptional you have to be to breakthough at big clubs or clubs in big leagues.

If Kenny is playing in the 5th tier of Scottish football then its up to him to be far and away the best striker in that division for Celtic 1st team to even consider him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    11 goals in 31 games is scoring for fun? He's a long way off playing at Celtic's level. He was completely bullied against Rovers and had to be taken off at half time in his last outing. I'm not knocking the lad. He has loads of potential but let's not rewrite history to prove a point, even if I do agree that Celtic seem to buy Irish players without a clear pathway to developing them. It almost seems like they just want to keep a semblance of an Irish connection at times.
    If you read my comment it you can clearly see that I’ve said if he’s not able to play for Celtic he should be on loan at an SPL team. I’m curious to know if playing for Sligo doesn’t get up to Celtic’s level on what universe does playing in the 5th division with kids will? If this is considered satisfactory for him development development by Celtic then it probably explains why Celtic are so bad at developing players.
    Kenny’s treatment shows they haven’t any real plan at developing him, Lawal and Vata may have a point at keeping them arou das they haven’t played adults football but there is no situation where Kenny playing for the B side will be for his benefit.

Celtic just terrible at developing players and trying to deny this is just fooling yourself, that fact fans have to go back all the way to Kieran Tierney nearly 6 years ago now proves my point.

Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast