Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Galway Football 2012

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Galway Football 2012

I suspect Galway fans must be viewing the current First Division table with a certain amount of schadenfraude, even if it can do no good for football in the city at a low ebb. Both clubs earned their place in the League on merit, through results and licencing, and after last year's improvement, it's rather surprising to see Mervue regressing to the foot of the table. Still, any sympathy Salthill may have earned has surely vanished with their MK-Dons-style rebranding, and while it's too early to gauge the attendance impact, onfield progress has been non-existent. Of course, for Galway to be re-admitted, one of the two must drop out, and with junior league enmities preventing a merger, what happens if neither finishes bottom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    I suspect Galway fans must be viewing the current First Division table with a certain amount of schadenfraude, even if it can do no good for football in the city at a low ebb. Both clubs earned their place in the League on merit, through results and licencing, and after last year's improvement, it's rather surprising to see Mervue regressing to the foot of the table. Still, any sympathy Salthill may have earned has surely vanished with their MK-Dons-style rebranding, and while it's too early to gauge the attendance impact, onfield progress has been non-existent. Of course, for Galway to be re-admitted, one of the two must drop out, and with junior league enmities preventing a merger, what happens if neither finishes bottom?
    What happens of they do finish bottom there is nowhere to be relegated to?
    GUST will never ever get in anyway so it doesnt really matter for them imo.

I think after a while the SD will just be dropped from SD Galway and the FAI will just act as if they were Galway all along.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    yes I think, the SD will be dropped, its being dropped in lots of media already. GUST would have 500 people back at matches within 4 weeks if a deal could be put together between everyone. Its certainly not sustainable as is for anyone. €7000 a week being invested by junior football in League of Ireland in Galway for what and the opportunity cost of another €2000 being lost as Galway United League of Ireland supporters stay away. Thats €9000 a week it cant last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Well they may as well drop the SD and add united now, seeing as there is already players talking of unpaid expenses and suppliers complaining of nonpayments !

Salthill, ye really didn't believe anyone when ye were told of the financial dealings of your new directors/club members ! I really do feel for the innocent members in all of this, a lot of whom are very close friends of mine. I can only hope the club itself isn't brought to its knees like united was as the REAL members of the club have worked so hard to get them to where they are nowadays, but the future is looking very bleak at the moment.

Mervue will manage, they have an unbelievably strong connection with the local community. There members aren't in it for any type of gain except for the young players on the pitch. If things don't improve for them, they will walk from the LOI with there heads held high. If they wish to continue, the club will tell everyone exactly what needs to be raised to keep the show on the road and the community will then help them as best as they can.

But, IMHO, both clubs are falling fast, faster than anyone could have ever predicted. Talks should resume ASAP with ALL clubs within the county of Galway to see what is the best way forward for the players developing needs into senior football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Match delegate at our opening game asked me what the SD stood for in SD Galway. I really did well not to laugh as I told him.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Who do Michael D support these days? Anyone?
    I'll take my lead from him.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Who do Michael D support these days? Anyone?
    I'll take my lead from him.
    Shamrock Rovers - Galways Number One!