Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Work Permit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Work Permit

Heh I was wondering what are the terms of the work permit for a player to play here, in the league of Ireland.

I know a foreign player would need to be over the age of 18 but is there any obligation that they must have represented their native country at senior level for three years?

I though if anybody would know it would be somebody online here! All comments, suggestion's and feedback appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elliott06 View Post
    Heh I was wondering what are the terms of the work permit for a player to play here, in the league of Ireland.

I know a foreign player would need to be over the age of 18 but is there any obligation that they must have represented their native country at senior level for three years?

I though if anybody would know it would be somebody online here! All comments, suggestion's and feedback appreciated.

Kindest regards,
    Playing in 75% of the senior international games (the player is available for, ie not injured/suspended) is a UK requirement.

In the ROI the requirement is far less and to my knowledge as long as the club can show the player is better than what they have available to them (on the money they are able to pay) then there is little problem once the fee for the permit is paid (1k I think).

Not being funny but I'm not sure where DCFC would fit in here though as the work permit is not a league issue but legal ie government set the criteria.

The fact the Irish criteria is easier is why you see some foreign players attempting to come here as a springboard to play in the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for your response galwayhoop, never considered the whole complications that may arise from Derry's Geographic location. I think its also a Uk requirement that the nation must also be in top 70 in fifa ranking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    wasnt there some issue about Joey Ndo playing a season for Shels without having a work permit (he was a Bohs player at the time). At the very least there is a process that needs to be followed and from what i can remember it needs to be reviewed/renewed a somewhat regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I think you're right. I think the work permit is subject to review with every change in employer so with Ndo transferring between clubs he should have reapplied for an updated work permit or something to that extent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Joey doesn't require a work permit if he doesn't want one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Ndo left Pats to join Shels in mid season. There was a rumour Shels didn't have a work permit but nothing official ever happened. He also went on loan to ROvers from Pats a few years later

Here's the policy

http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermit...fessionals.htm

Basically, there's no restrictions, aa long as the FAI are agreeable.

Derry would be governed by UK law in this regard (and it proved a stumbling block when they wanted to sign Ryan Guy about 3 years ago)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    wasnt there some issue about Joey Ndo playing a season for Shels without having a work permit (he was a Bohs player at the time). At the very least there is a process that needs to be followed and from what i can remember it needs to be reviewed/renewed a somewhat regular basis.
    I think the issue with Joey Ndo was that he changed employer without changing work permits (in Ireland work permits are employer specific rather than employee specific).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    There's no work permit for the league afaik - players are treated the same as any other worker and need a work permit from the state but that's not much use to you.

I presume it's a non-EU player, otherwise there should be no problem. Unfortunately I have no idea what the rules for a work permit are in the UK but I'd say if the player gets one the league won't object to him. Does the work permit stay with the worker in the UK? Maybe he already has one??