Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Qualifiers for 1990 world cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Qualifiers for 1990 world cup

I just watched a video of highlights or all our qualifiers for the 1990 World. It is very interesting viewing, and it is good to watch games in the cold light of day and away from the emotion of the time. A few things that I noticed, the football was ****e to look at , hardly news there. Ronnie Whelan was outstanding in most of the games. He was the one at all times that wanted to get the ball down and play and his passing was sublime. Houghton was another that was brilliant. Our defence was so solid and gave absolutely nothing away. Why did Morris go on to replace Hughton, as Hughton looked quality in all the matches. I was only 12/13 at the time of these matches but for the life of me Hughton should have played at the World Cup instead of Morris.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Morris played right full back and Hughton played left full. So he didnt really replace Hughton. In Euro 88, they were the two full backs. By 1990 WC finals Staunton had claimed the LB position from Hughton.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    well for the matches during the qualifiers that i was watching, hughton was playing right back. He played both positions for spurs as he was pretty adaptable. I know that Staunton started playing more and more at left back, but even still hughton should have had right back his for the world cup as morris could not cross the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ronnie Whelan

Its a pity that Whelan didn't really get a chance in that World Cup .. think he was carrying an injury, and only made a few substitute appearances. He was some player .. did the simple things brilliantly. In an era before the hype of the premiership, he must still rank as one of the greats of English football. He won everything at Liverpool

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    well for the matches during the qualifiers that i was watching, hughton was playing right back. He played both positions for spurs as he was pretty adaptable. I know that Staunton started playing more and more at left back, but even still hughton should have had right back his for the world cup as morris could not cross the road.
    Chris Morris was easily the worst full back I have ever seen, it would have been comic had he been playing for anyone else. I think Hughton got injured and retired before the WC.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Nationalism is an infantile disease, the measles of mankind

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Hughton was defintely in Italy - touch and go as to whether he or Staunton were to play v England.

Hughton was not a good right back - decent leftback - Morris was the only real option there. He did well in Euro88 but was fading fast and denis Irwin took over after Italia 90.

Spain 89 was still the best atmosphere I can rmeember in Lansdowne. Butregueno was probably the top striker in Europe then and he got substituted after an hour and I could clearly see his face as he walked off and he was totally bewildered with 50,000 mad screaming Irishmen. 4 homes wins in the qualifiers - no goals conceded - indeed spain in Seville were the only team to score against us. Paul McGrath was majestic then playing as a sweeper in front of the back four - he virtually incented the defensive midfield player role. Moran and McCarthy were also a great combination.

Great memories and a great journey all over Italy at the finals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hughton was deffo at Italia 90 and he was a better right back than Hughton, he played in lots of the qualifiers at right back, I know for a fact as i watched it the otehr night and he was quality. Morris should never have replaced him at right back for the tournament itself.