Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI/GAA discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Thread appears to be developing into two distinct discussions (Galway situation and gah stuff). Maybe time to seperate ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    before it splits, i think now is the right moment to accuse GUST of being windy feckers.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    before it splits, i think now is the right moment to accuse GUST of being windy feckers.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    In terms of primary schools and sports, once proper insurance measures are in place there is an excellent response from the teachers to just get the kids doing something. One major problem I found (especially at primary level) is a distinct lack of male teachers. If we all think back (some like me longer than others) to those halycon days in the parish field, there were always a majority or sizeable minority of male teachers in schools. I don't know statistics for the present day, but in 3 primary schools in the D. 15 area (2 mixed, 1 boys and girls school(s)) less than a quarter of teachers were male, of those half were committed to music teaching (and hated sports) and there was a fertile ground for GAA club coaches coming in to "look after" school teams. Now move on from this a little.

I grew up playing lots of sports, depending on the time of year. My GAA club was a small Junior one with a big catchment area and no idea of how to organise under age teams. The GAA had an initiative back in the very early 80's on how to (re)organise he club scene and with long term planning and a bit of cop on, my club became the biggest in Ireland. It took time, there was major bitching - include getting coaches to give time to go into schools, but it worked and paid dividends.

For sure there are clubs (those named like Shels, Bohs, Rovers - Monaghan too I know from word of mouth) who build from the ground up, however it can be refined and as stated perfectly correctly, the FAI needs to take a leading role in this. Bottom up is fine, but clubs need support from the top down. It's not going to happen as there are too many vested interests at play.

I was working at a Primary school in Dundalk way back when for a half a year and while the Gaelic Football season was in the first half of the year, we had hurling (yes, stick fighting :-) ) and football in the Spring-Summer period. It boiled down to teachers taking a hand and when we asked Dundalk FC (okay, it was the periodical civil war so kind of pointless) for assistance along with Redeemer and the Friary, but didn't get so much as a response to have a coach/player come out to take A session. It was a serious chance lost for Dundalk to catch new fans, engage with the community and just do the right thing. I know such thigns have improved, however some big time pushing from the boys in Abbotstown and things would be way easier.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Donald Keogh by the sounds of it! Our FAI delegate and club PRO. Yeah we should be fairly alright this year money wise, a couple of decent sponsors still on board which is a big help. The aim is to be contending at the top end.
    That's him. We'd a major chat about the club, an ex-manager and some shenanigans from former "interested buyers". If you see him tell him the irish guy in Moscow football says hello, plus he owes me a pint!

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    MB, referring to the sport as bogball kinda ruins anything else to follow - though I'll point to what you pointed out yourself - engaging the local community (and their reps). Also getting into schools, starting structures from the youngest age up and complementing what is existence (in terms of Junior and underage clubs). Simple, effective and outside the realm of possibility in LOI.

Longfordian, what's the situation in the club this year in terms of sponsorship and funding? I ask simply as I met one of your reps over here for the Irish match and he was talking about 2012 being a strong season for the club. I cannot for the life of me remember his name - he was/is 5'5"/5'6, heavy set, grey haired, moustache, hates the Monaghan boss and loves a jar. Probably doesn't narrow it down much.
    you are ok spud thats our PRO that you were talkin to and his finger would be on the pulse the whole time!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    That's him. We'd a major chat about the club, an ex-manager and some shenanigans from former "interested buyers". If you see him tell him the irish guy in Moscow football says hello, plus he owes me a pint!
    I will be seein him tonight at our lotto draw and will tell him to pay up!!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Martinho, thanks a million. We'd a good chat, me, him and the head of the visa section. Your man was hanging big time, but he was gas.

Sean South, I think so, it was Rovers first year back up, I remember John Lester playing for Galway (at least I'm pretty sure) and they almost nicked it from Rovers. I followed the fortunes of Galway that season and had some contact with Ewan MacGregor regarding one of their players, and I was there when they stayed up the last game of the season (supporting the opposition it has to be said). I've always like Galway sports, there's potential in all areas but there's something missing (unlike Cork, Limerick, Sligo where the community and local reps get stuck in behind the sports clubs).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    If you can just move past the bias and try objectivity for a moment, and just focus on what was suggested as a way for LOI clubs to stabilise and grow rather than petty slagging of another organisation, it would be really helpful. You've made the points, in our own way, that you don't view anything positive from the GAA to be used in football, point taken, nothing more for you to see here, fair enough.
    Maybe it is bias, im not sure but it does not make my points any less legitimate.
    There are things we can learn off the GAA, their organisation and grass roots structures are second to none.
    But when it comes to not paying the players, that is a joke, the players deserve a fair wage for their efforts.
    As for youth development personally I think its impossible to judge how effective it really is because the GAA wallows in its own international irrelevance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Maybe it is bias, im not sure but it does not make my points any less legitimate.
    There are things we can learn off the GAA, their organisation and grass roots structures are second to none.
    But when it comes to not paying the players, that is a joke, the players deserve a fair wage for their efforts
    As for youth development personally I think its impossible to judge how effective it really is because the GAA wallows in its own international irrelevance.
    This is the big difference - once you pay players there will be much more movement between clubs (chasing highest wage offer), this in turn weakens the grass roots /local ties/ life long commitment to club (as traditionally enjoyed by the Gah).

Still not convinced that the GAA model has much we could use now apart from schoolboy/youth/senior interaction much better than football.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Rasputin, again your tone devalues the really valid points you make about the grassroots structures and even the lack of pay for play, though wallowing in international irrelevance? Hmm, let's see, how many people watched the summer matches in pubs and homes across the world vs those of us who had to beg a friendly pub owner to watch a free feed from RTE for the cup final? The GAA's presence abroad is growing and now with a tech age around us, it won't be long before the growing European leagues begin to feed back, added to this the North American and Australasian set-ups and there will be, within 5-10 years, 1 or 2 ex-pat driven teams in All-Ireland championships at some level. In addition the GAA actively fund and assist clubs abroad, so your point on that really is just a snide remark with no reason.

Not all LOI clubs are without grassroots structures, Rovers, Sligo etc are good examples - which is coupled with friendly local councils. This is a big difference and doesn't just go down to cosying up with politicos, it also has a lot to do with the clubs themselves impressing the good they can do to the local community structures.

MB, the interaction you mention is just one of a number. Games promotions and top down guidance are two more. In fairness the FAI have made a stand to go after having a part in the Aviva, and fair dues, but it's going to cost alot to developing overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Rasputin, again your tone devalues the really valid points you make about the grassroots structures and even the lack of pay for play, though wallowing in international irrelevance? Hmm, let's see, how many people watched the summer matches in pubs and homes across the world vs those of us who had to beg a friendly pub owner to watch a free feed from RTE for the cup final? The GAA's presence abroad is growing and now with a tech age around us, it won't be long before the growing European leagues begin to feed back, added to this the North American and Australasian set-ups and there will be, within 5-10 years, 1 or 2 ex-pat driven teams in All-Ireland championships at some level. In addition the GAA actively fund and assist clubs abroad, so your point on that really is just a snide remark with no reason.
    I think the point was that Ireland is the only country in the world that produces GAA players, so there is nothing to compare it to. Who knows if Holland, Spain or Brazil could consistently produce hurling superstars with vastly superior stickball skills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Ohh mother of god, this is tragic.
    You are comparing the GAA's international irrelevancy to the biggest sport in the world?
    And you do this by mentioning the Irish cup final and a few ex pats abroad?
    You need to take a good hard long look at yourself.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Ohh mother of god, this is tragic.
    You are comparing the GAA's international irrelevancy to the biggest sport in the world?
    And you do this by mentioning the Irish cup final and a few ex pats abroad?
    You need to take a good hard long look at yourself.
    Dude, go lie down, take a drink and relax. You've made your points, you've come to a conclusion about yourself, so just let it go. Nothing more to see here my lad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMon View Post
    I think the point was that Ireland is the only country in the world that produces GAA players, so there is nothing to compare it to. Who knows if Holland, Spain or Brazil could consistently produce hurling superstars with vastly superior stickball skills
    Magicmon, I'm sure that given a generation anywhere can produce decent players with the right coaching and development. However you're wrong with your point. I'll let you discover it for yourself, if you're interested, though in clubs in Scotland, England and USA there are underage structures, some producing pretty decent hurlers which surprised me. With the increasing number of Irish moving away adding to the existing generations of Irish already in situ, as I said there will be an improvement in standards of the foreign sides and with the existing youth structures this is bound to improve further.

However this element is only relevant if the LOI tap into "Irish" clubs abroad and work out a formal structure to channel Irish-born or with grandparents into the Irish system. Since they find it hard enough to do it at home, chasing a few Northern teens might be the limit for the moment.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    This is the big difference - once you pay players there will be much more movement between clubs (chasing highest wage offer), this in turn weakens the grass roots /local ties/ life long commitment to club (as traditionally enjoyed by the Gah).
    Yeah, imagine if that happened. Dublin GAA clubs would be snapping up talent from around the country....

Revenue have done pensioners, they're moving on to nixers. Next in their firing line should be "expenses" in sporting organisations. They stung the LoI years ago, it's about time they did others.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Dublin clubs already have been doing it, town clubs in counties have been doing it, senior clubs have been doing it. In one way I understand players who are with a country club but now studying/living in Dublin and switching clubs, this seems to be prevalent and quite natural. It happens the other way around too, but the drain will always be greater towards Dublin (or big towns). I heard on Newstalk recently how some lads from down the country were apparently offered jobs to transfer - which was rumour and supposition but also not challenged by the amateur hour boys. I'd love to know if Dublin clubs are sending scouts around the land looking for a big hairy mullocking full forward and a nimble half back and then promising them the earth and young maids to switch to Dublin.

You're right, Revenue need to catch people on expenses and nixers, but rooting out the black/grey economy will always be thankless. And in Ireland moreso.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The working/ studying in Dublin thing is a rather convenient cover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Dublin clubs already have been doing it, town clubs in counties have been doing it, senior clubs have been doing it. In one way I understand players who are with a country club but now studying/living in Dublin and switching clubs, this seems to be prevalent and quite natural. It happens the other way around too, but the drain will always be greater towards Dublin (or big towns). I heard on Newstalk recently how some lads from down the country were apparently offered jobs to transfer - which was rumour and supposition but also not challenged by the amateur hour boys. I'd love to know if Dublin clubs are sending scouts around the land looking for a big hairy mullocking full forward and a nimble half back and then promising them the earth and young maids to switch to Dublin.

You're right, Revenue need to catch people on expenses and nixers, but rooting out the black/grey economy will always be thankless. And in Ireland moreso.
    Actually not a lot of transfers between clubs in Gah. Must have agreement of parent (original) club - there have been instances of players in limbo having left club but not released, and therefore unable to join another club. Even less movement in rural areas where playing "for the parish" is the cornerstone of GAA. Moving club is often seen as akin to treason .

Paying players (almost inevitable) will weaken this aspect of GAA and therby weaken the grass roots/ community linkage that GAA currently enjoys. Think of the annual merry go round of LOI players between clubs and contrast with the sometimes multigenerational local/family commitment to GAA clubs. It appears (unfortunately) GAA moving more towards football model than the reverse.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Actually not a lot of transfers between clubs in Gah.
    Within a county, but between clubs in different counties doesn't seem much of an issue. Hence certain Dublin clubs hoover up talent from around the country. The GAA, in Dublin at least, is like the last days of amateurism in Rugby imo. GAA won't be bothered until it starts effecting the County teams more.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast