Page 147 of 182 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    I forgot to mention previously that McLean is among the minority of Irish players who sign the anthem. Nice to see. It always irritated me during the Charlton era that the players not born in Ireland never bothered learning the words in English and at least singing them rather than just staring mutely at the flag. Mind you some of the home born players did that as well and continue to do.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I forgot to mention previously that McLean is among the minority of Irish players who sign the anthem.
    Kind of figured he is tone deaf...
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I see that got 55 likes so there is some degree of sanity over there. Gas the way some others mention Graham and Catts "sorting him"!
    I think the fact he was willing into stand up for himself wins him some respect.

They would expect one of their players to do the same if the circumstances were reversed.

And of course they are dishing it out so they will think it is fair game.

I had not noticed the likes when I visited but it did get a lot, over twice as many as an abusive post on that page, so he has won the Sunderland fans over!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I see that got 55 likes so there is some degree of sanity over there. Gas the way some others mention Graham and Catts "sorting him"!
    I think the fact he was willing into stand up for himself wins him some respect.

They would expect one of their players to do the same if the circumstances were reversed.

And of course they are dishing it out so they will think it is fair game.

I had not noticed the likes when I visited but it did get a lot, over twice as many as an abusive post on that page, so he has won the Sunderland fans over!

But he will get respect from them because 90% would have done the same and they would not think much of someone
    who meekly walked down the tunnel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    From the couple of pages I read, this was definitely the highlight:

"So a lad gets booed for 90 minutes, probs abused verbally as well when in ear shot of SAFC fans, and when he celebrates a win everyone takes the high ground. Give your vaginas an airing tonight chaps"

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Not trying to hide on the subject or not respond to other opinions:

I can appreciate that my posts on this subject don't appear the cleverest. Of course racism is a catch-all situation. It's probably my own lack of education on the issue, or the scope of my exposure to sectarianism, that makes my posts stupid. Then of course my utter dislike of McClean clouds my judgement of the subject.

Bottom line, I don't think any player is wrong to react towards fans at the end of a game who have abused him throughout a game, and absolutely it's pantomime stuff for fans to be in uproar if players make gestures. I just think there is a time and a place for reactions, without turning the forum all dramatic on the subject.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Problem is the politicisation of none political events, you go to a football match to watch football, it is not a political rally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Not trying to hide on the subject or not respond to other opinions:

I can appreciate that my posts on this subject don't appear the cleverest. Of course racism is a catch-all situation. It's probably my own lack of education on the issue, or the scope of my exposure to sectarianism, that makes my posts stupid. Then of course my utter dislike of McClean clouds my judgement of the subject.

Bottom line, I don't think any player is wrong to react towards fans at the end of a game who have abused him throughout a game, and absolutely it's pantomime stuff for fans to be in uproar if players make gestures. I just think there is a time and a place for reactions, without turning the forum all dramatic on the subject.
    McClean wears his heart on his sleeve, as we're all well aware, but he's entitled to do that without being subjected to xenophobic abuse (and that's what it was, no matter whether one might think they've heard or seen worse in other contexts). There's a difference between a fist-pump at fans in triumph and subjecting a player to ninety minutes of directed xenophobic abuse. He's not gone out of his way singling people out for unsavoury abuse. It was a nothing incident and it was the reaction of Graham in creating a physical confrontation that made it "newsworthy".

McClean is also entitled to emphasise his identity (which isn't harming anyone) elsewhere, republican or whatever - there's no crime in that - without having others trying to impose their views upon him. The only reason it ever became an issue on the football field is because he was forced into making uncomfortable decisions by those who (you might even say inappropriately) organise the poppy spectacle and by those who decided to play a national anthem before a club friendly. I'm sure James would be glad to play football without such distractions; even if he is strong and resolute in character, could you really say being on the end of such vitriolic abuse week in and week out would be comforting for anyone? He's a tough kid, but to say he enjoys it? I dunno... Would or could anyone, besides the masochist, enjoy that?

There's been a lot of victim-blaming of McClean but those who were abusing him are ultimately responsible for their own idiocy and actions. It would have been nice to see the FA comment on that too, yet they formally warned McClean?... They should have encouraged Sunderland (by strong words or some form of penalisation) to find the fans responsible and engage with them in a programme that would educate them as to the problem with what they were doing.

What is it that causes your utter dislike of McClean? Is it just his brashness/upfrontness or is there something else?

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...tle-links.html

It's nice to see the story has died down. I think everyone, bar some Sunderland supporters, realises it was a fairly tame gesture on McClean's part, even if it was slightly antagonistic.

Also, interesting to note that it was Danny Graham who confronted him. Danny Graham would identify as Geordie. However, a nice wage saw him move to Sunderland (see his comments re same above). It's a very funny contrast to see one so willing to put money over identity shove and confront James McClean. And, as someone stated, it's not by scoring goals that Graham is going to earn Sunderland fans' respect.

Even though I don't come from the North or support WBA, I think James McClean is my favourite character in football. I'd have him up there with my all-time footballing idol, Roy Keane. Not for footballing reasons but for his strength of character and determination and refusal to adhere to dictation.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 24/10/2015 at 10:40 AM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Lee Cattermole was asked about it on a interview for Soccer Saturday. To be fair he really played it down, saying "it was nothing" a few times. He did mention it was a small but disappointing as Sunderland gave him a huge opportunity but said it was just heat of the moment stuff.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/10/2015 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Assist for McClean!!

Norwich 0 West Brom 1 Rondón 46'

I had been watching bit of it but missed the goal, McClean made a good run earlier on beating his man and putting in a good cross, nothing came of it though.
    He just got booked tackle form behind

Hoolalhan off.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=17313.0

A lot of praise reserved for McClean on the WBA forum after the match:
    "Good move by Pulisto double up down the Norwich right to allow McClean to help out Brunt" I think Brunt was given MOTM. McClean helping on that front.
    "I was really impressed with McLean today, his final ball was vastly improved on previous weeks. "
    "Sessegnon, McLean and Myhill were all top for me but no-one played particularly badly."
    "McClean is showing himself to be a bargain and what a friggin' cross for Rondons perfectly finished header. "
    "Sess and McLean don't have put a shift in."

http://sportyhighlights.com/norwich-...-1-highlights/
    It was a very lovely cross from our James. Lovely outswing on it to avoid the keeper and picked out the target lovey. Great run and great first time cross.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    How dare he use such a controversial and symbolically religious type of assist?! A cross no less. What about a perfectly neutral through ball or dink?! Absolutely outrageous, immature and inflammatory behaviour from this clown again. When will this end? He needs to f*cking cop on!!!

18. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He seems to be in fine form at the moment, playing well for West Brom who are quite high up the table now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Is that his first assist in a competitive game? Think it is. Good to see him in good form and the fans behind him.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Thing is, we know McClean is capable of relentless endeavour but he's also capable of end-product. The problem for him is that the former is ever-present but the latter is inconsistent. If he can add a bit of consistency in attacking contributions to the effort that Pulis values then he's bound to become a favourite among the fans.

WBA have only scored 8 goals in their 10 games so far this season which is the joint lowest in the league (alongside Liverpool, Watford and Sunderland). Would be nice to see James peg on a couple to that before Christmas to really enhance his worth to the side. He went on a good run of goals last season at Wigan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    With poppy-mania fast approaching its climax again, I wrote a piece to give some thoughts on a suggestion that James is in need of a history lesson, the nature and diversity of meaning conferred upon the symbol and its popular promotion (especially in respect of the north of Ireland) and the episode with the Sunderland fans and players last weekend.

You can read it here, if interested: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com...episode-three/

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    With poppy-mania fast approaching its climax again, I wrote a piece to give some thoughts on a suggestion that James is in need of a history lesson, the nature and diversity of meaning conferred upon the symbol and its popular promotion (especially in respect of the north of Ireland) and the episode with the Sunderland fans and players last weekend.

You can read it here, if interested: https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com...episode-three/
    Nail on the head, as usual, Danny.

It's actually hilarious how England completely sweeps it's imperialistic conquests under a rug, contrary to, for example, the way the Germans have a Nazi shame.

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Excellently presented Danny.
    It ups the standards around here to have an actual scholar on board.

28. Thanks From: