Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Eric Gerets would be good
    Would I be alone in the 40+ category booing that bearded cheating cnut for the free kick he dived to win in Brussels in '81? They hit the bar and then Ceulemans bundled McDonagh into the net for a last minute winner. I was devastated that night. I hate Eric Gerets and always will!

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Another day, another meeja post.
    He has a point. The meeja have a habit of driving managers out and they have a habit of bowing at the altar of English football.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Magath was drummed out of Eintracht for pushing the players too hard, certain players started leaking stories about disharmony in the camp and he was gone. The real fact was that he inspired a whole raft of players but a certain clique wanted the former coach (Berger) back as he let them do what they wanted. Magath wouldn't take the Irish job as he knows what would happen.

Bilic would only take the job if Pat Devlin, Eamon Collins etc gave him a cut of transfers and any decent coach would run from the Irish job. If the meeja get their way and Trap goes, it'll be an Irish person who comes in to take over and we can start a "Countdown to Disaster" thread that the INM folks and other meeja trolls can check out from time to time until the new man is gone. And the obvious will be avoided - structures at home. It's cannon fodder to slam JD about his salary, or LOI clubs about finances or the LOI, but it would be a long, long day that our meeja would ever dissect football structures in the country and their own role in it's disintegration.
    Good post.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I stand over any of these nominations for exactly the reason that no-one else wants them and they'll have to pull up trees in the job before anyone else would.* We're likely going to be shopping for a manager like Neil Warnock shops for players ...whatevers left in the bargain bin when it's been well picked over. Incidently I think they're all reasonably competent individuals who'd do at least as well/poorly as GT for probably a fraction of the cost. I think they'd all research the squad and potential enhancments thereof with due diligence and greater enthusiasm as well.

*When Alex McLeish quit Scotland for Birmingham his salary jumped 1000%. That kind of lure is always going to be there with any half employable manager who does well enough for us (assuming the salary has to go back to pre-Trap levels -which was still quite high by International managment standards) to attract the attention of prem/championship club.
    Have to laugh at people suggesting McLeish. As much as I dislike Trap, give me him over McLeish anyday, the man doesn't have a clue, twice relegated, almost 3 times, played Emile Heskey in midfield 3 games in a row last year, the list is endless. He doesn't have a clue.

6. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Don't know if he's been mentioned, but Alan Curbishley? Been out of management for a while.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Eric Gerets would be good
    Tsk, like for like Do people just fancy famous football names and bandy them about?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Spudulika will love this! Mick and Redknapp waiting in the wings supposedly.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-3259614.html

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He has a point. The meeja have a habit of driving managers out
    We're all a part of the meeja.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    and they have a habit of bowing at the altar of English football.
    95% of posters here do that every weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Have to laugh at people suggesting McLeish. As much as I dislike Trap, give me him over McLeish anyday, the man doesn't have a clue, twice relegated, almost 3 times, played Emile Heskey in midfield 3 games in a row last year, the list is endless. He doesn't have a clue.
    Never claimed he was a genius Manblue. I said he was "reasonably competent". Is playing Heskey in midfield any worse than Cox on the wing and leaving wingers on the bench to do so?

I also said part of my criteria is no one else'll want him unless he does really, really well.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Tsk, like for like Do people just fancy famous football names and bandy them about?
    He's got a good record. He won the Dutch and Turkish leagues, and did well with Marseille, and has experience of working in divisions where your midfields first job is to hold onto ball. He speaks English which has been a problem under Trap and he might take the job, having previously taken over the Moroccan national team.

I don't think it's like for like at all. The time has come for a change but we have been successful under Trap and we should resist the temptation the throw out the baby with the bath water by giving it to some 'give it a lash' merchant
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Never claimed he was a genius Manblue. I said he was "reasonably competent". Is playing Heskey in midfield any worse than Cox on the wing and leaving wingers on the bench to do so?

I also said part of my criteria is no one else'll want him unless he does really, really well.
    I'm sorry I cant agree that he is even that to be honest, the Heskey comment was only the tip of the iceberg, but I actually do see it far worse to play Heskey who was past it up front, braindead, immobile, has no football and a poor tackler ahead of some of his midfield options but thats neither here or there.

I agree they're wont be a line of managers queueing up for the role but do feel the pool of available talent far exceeds his. Given Hughes will probably be available soon, has international experience, is likely to receive a large payoff and will have something to prove, i'd take him before Mcleish and a number of others. Pure speculation of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    I can probably guess what most of you will say but anyway - Sam Allardyce anyone?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I can probably guess what most of you will say but anyway - Sam Allardyce anyone?
    Read previous comments on Harry Redknapp. Especially the one you agreed with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Realistically if/when trap goes (hopefully soon) there is no way in hell any manager currently in a job will leave unless they are on the brink but they too would be looking for a payoff. The FAI will not have the finances to pay compensation to a club.
    Out of them all if the FAI were to decide to get rid and then hold court they could very well get sparky (out of them all he would be my preference)....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    We're all a part of the meeja.

95% of posters here do that every weekend.
    No we're not. No matter how important we all think ourselves to be.

And 95% won't do that every weekend, though many will.

If there was ever any evidence needed about how big a role the meeja are playing in this farce, this morning's interview with Brian "I'm not bitter" Kerr on Pat Kenny would clear up that misguided vision. He slated Trap for holding a meeja conference while Sligo and Pats played a league decider - he said that Trap "is out of touch with the Irish game". Now there will be enough listening to that, the Liveline types, who won't think deeper than the skin on their scalps as to who organises such gigs, and why the meeja didn't refuse to attend so that they could focus their time and energy on the LOI? This is allowed out on air by the same company (RTE) who didn't have a camera at Limerick's long awaited triumph in the First Division and who treat LOI football the same way you would an errant child. ifk101, if you honestly believe the meeja circus isn't a major part in all of this then you're a better person than most.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    No we're not. No matter how important we all think ourselves to be.

And 95% won't do that every weekend, though many will.

If there was ever any evidence needed about how big a role the meeja are playing in this farce, this morning's interview with Brian "I'm not bitter" Kerr on Pat Kenny would clear up that misguided vision. He slated Trap for holding a meeja conference while Sligo and Pats played a league decider - he said that Trap "is out of touch with the Irish game". Now there will be enough listening to that, the Liveline types, who won't think deeper than the skin on their scalps as to who organises such gigs, and why the meeja didn't refuse to attend so that they could focus their time and energy on the LOI? This is allowed out on air by the same company (RTE) who didn't have a camera at Limerick's long awaited triumph in the First Division and who treat LOI football the same way you would an errant child. ifk101, if you honestly believe the meeja circus isn't a major part in all of this then you're a better person than most.
    This is the same Brian Kerr who's sum total of respect to the Irish game while manager of the national side was to give Jason Byrne approximately 45 seconds at the end of a friendly against Poland.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    This is the same Brian Kerr who's sum total of respect to the Irish game while manager of the national side was to give Jason Byrne approximately 45 seconds at the end of a friendly against Poland.
    I don't see how that's even the slightest bit relevant.

He didn't give (more) caps to LOI players because they weren't good enough, as Trap doesn't because they still aren't good enough. Nobody wants undeserved caps for LOI players - it's the exact opposite of respect.

I don't recall him participating in any press conferences at the same time as there was a league deciding game on though, do you? If the FAI had tried to set one up in similar circumstances, I'm confident he'd have insisted they change it. Can you imagine the England manager doing it during the last game of the previous EPL season?

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Surely its the press offficer/communications man/pr whoever within the FAI that co-ordinates all this, to suggest otherwise or to naively ignore, either sounds like there is an agenda going on or some other reason to believe that he would purposely do this.

Don't take the defensive approach here, its all in the FAI and trappatoni in this instance, or someone within their who had an agenda.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I don't see how that's even the slightest bit relevant.

He didn't give (more) caps to LOI players because they weren't good enough, as Trap doesn't because they still aren't good enough. Nobody wants undeserved caps for LOI players - it's the exact opposite of respect.

I don't recall him participating in any press conferences at the same time as there was a league deciding game on though, do you? If the FAI had tried to set one up in similar circumstances, I'm confident he'd have insisted they change it. Can you imagine the England manager doing it during the last game of the previous EPL season?
    my point was that Kerr wasn't exactly leading the charge for selecting League of Ireland players when he was in charge, so criticising Trapattoni for showing disrespect to the league doesn't carry much weight with me.
    Did Kerr have any games coming up soon after any league decider was on? Who decides the time of press conferences anyway?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    my point was that Kerr wasn't exactly leading the charge for selecting League of Ireland players when he was in charge, so criticising Trapattoni for showing disrespect to the league doesn't carry much weight with me.
    If he had selected LOI players even though they weren't good enough, would you have considered that showing respect for the league?

I'm pretty sure Trapattoni didn't decide the time of the press conference. A lack of communication/brain cells within the press office is mostly to blame in my opinion. But either Trap knew there was a LOI decider on and wasn't bothered enough to get it changed, or didn't know at all. That's Kerr's point. I don't see how his selection policies as manager are relevant at all.

Page 14 of 74 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast