Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is promotion gone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Is promotion gone?

Cork 3-1 Monaghan

Results of other sides haven't gone the way we would have wanted/needed this week.

With Mons beating Shels and now Cork beating Mons tonight, are Limerick's promotions hopes dead or is there another twist in events?

Trying to be optimistic, but would like to see what everyone else thinks?

Still have to win our remaining games, and hope that Monaghan slip up in their remaining games. Cork will be harder to catch. Monaghan without the two Brennans now and have a difficult trip to Mervue. I expect them to pick up 3 points against Wexford this friday so a loss to Mervue and Limerick seems our best option of catching Roddy Collins side.

Discuss..
    Last edited by Shannonsider; 04/10/2011 at 9:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Promotion was over when mons beat shels last weekend tonights result just almost confirms it.
    ANother year in this ******* division.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Win 3 games and hope Mervue get a draw with Monaghan would do it, but yes.....the Mons-Shels result was a killer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    It's not over until it's over. Mons well beaten tonight and they're capable of dropping points, even if they draw a game it'll be enough providing we win all our games. Goal difference down to 5 now as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Promotion is gone.

Even if we do win our last 3 , most we can finish on is 66...Mons win there other 3 and finish on 67, will there be a massive sh*tstorm with regards to the Harps Mons game, will we be bringing action against the FAI again???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    They still have to win those games. They may react badly to a defeat. they have suspensions coming - both Brennans sent off last night.

They have lost twice to Mervue this season already.

They had a wobble at this stage last season too.

OK maybe I'm clutching at straws but it certainly isn't over.

Goal difference won't matter if we win all 3 games btw - we can't catch cork on gd and it won't come down to GD between Monaghan and ourselves.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    It ain't over till its over. We are definitely clutching at straws at this stage but who knows how the game last night might affect Mons. Especially with the injury and the two sendings off.

Ryan

Kelly Purcell McCarthy Frost

Judge O'Leary Gamble Tracey

O'Flynn Behan

Subs:
    Cusack
    C.Tracey
    Bhandarkar
    Brosnan
    Hynes
    Quinn
    Sheedy

If we could field that team for the rest of the season I see no reason why we can't pick up 9 points in our remaining games and keep the pressure on.

We haven't lost in the league since Monaghan in the second round of games. If we win our remaining fixtures we will have gone undefeated in the 3rd series of games and it would be hard to ask for much more than that from the team in the run in.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 05/10/2011 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Ultimately it seems that the 5 points dropped to Wexford away and Salthill at home will be the key to the failure. Salthill have lost every game to Shels, Cork and Monaghan, yet we struggled to snatch a point at home against them, and Wexford have only managed a draw against Cork, yet managed to beat us down there.
    5 points dropped against the worst two sides in the division, when your three arch opponents only drop one between them sums it up for me.
    Plus, we have only picked up 7 points out of a possible 24 so far against the big three. It's not rocket science.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Ultimately it seems that the 5 points dropped to Wexford away and Salthill at home will be the key to the failure. Salthill have lost every game to Shels, Cork and Monaghan, yet we struggled to snatch a point at home against them, and Wexford have only managed a draw against Cork, yet managed to beat us down there.
    5 points dropped against the worst two sides in the division, when your three arch opponents only drop one between them sums it up for me.
    Plus, we have only picked up 7 points out of a possible 24 so far against the big three. It's not rocket science.
    Bit pointless to mention that and not mention that Mons have 2 extra points that they didnt earn on the field. If we lose out by a point then it wasnt dropping points to Salthill or Wexford that cost us at all it was Finn Harps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Yeah but we still can bring it to the last day of the season so they can't all have been much better we win our remaining matches and Monaghan's result against Harps which they didn't earn will stop us as I said above

....we lost to Wexford at home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    You could also say though that we picked up 9 points against Mervue but Monaghan have so far picked up none or that Cork also dropped 4 points to both Athlone and Wexford together and so far between the both of them we only dropped 3 points. Mons also dropped 4 points (on the pitch) against Harps where as we only dropped 2. Where our down fall will be is that we did not finish off Mons up there and lost to them at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    You could also say though that we picked up 9 points against Mervue but Monaghan have so far picked up none or that Cork also dropped 4 points to both Athlone and Wexford together and so far between the both of them we only dropped 3 points. Mons also dropped 4 points (on the pitch) against Harps where as we only dropped 2. Where our down fall will be is that we did not finish off Mons up there and lost to them at home.
    We all know the concept of a league, all teams drop points at some stage...but our downfall if we win our last 3 games will be Mons awarded a 3 goal win when they only drew...therefore we would have done enough for third but for the illegal player situation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpin View Post
    We all know the concept of a league, all teams drop points at some stage...but our downfall if we win our last 3 games will be Mons awarded a 3 goal win when they only drew...therefore we would have done enough for third but for the illegal player situation
    That's pretty much what I was trying to say in reply to joesoap, just because we dropped points to the bottom two isn't as important as we think because other teams dropped points where we didn't.

It will be so sickening if the two points mons got from Harps is what puts them up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    you need to win all your games and hope that either us or Mons drop points somewhere.

keep playing to win... I say this because we need you to beat Mons...

anyway, someone is bound to go bust at some point so ye will probably get up anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    you need to win all your games and hope that either us or Mons drop points somewhere.

keep playing to win... I say this because we need you to beat Mons...

anyway, someone is bound to go bust at some point so ye will probably get up anyway
    At the moment its Mons we need to drop the points as then when it comes to playing them it is in our own hands. We need Cork drop points in two matches and that might not even be enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Scully's unnecessarily conservative tactics at home has cost us. Plain and simple.

Limerick 0-1 Wexford: We started the game with a diamond in midfield. And it wasn't as if the full backs were bombing on to provide the width either. Eventually switched to a 4-2-3-1 in the second half, and finally to a 4-4-2 with about 20/25 minutes to go. Don't need to tell you the rest.

Limerick 1-1 Salthill: Started the game with a 4-2-3-1 with Behan on his own upfront, and inexplicably Peter Hynes on the right wing. Got what we deserved again.

Limerick 0-3 Shelbourne: Played 5 at the back AND a diamond in midfield. Chris Breen was up on his own and I wonder did he even see a blue shirt all first half. Absolutely chronic stuff.

Compare that to the last home game. Played an attacking 4-2-4 against Wexford and won 6-0.

The Wexford and the Salthill games look like being the keys to our season. And it's a damn shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Limerick will beat mons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    That's pretty much what I was trying to say in reply to joesoap, just because we dropped points to the bottom two isn't as important as we think because other teams dropped points where we didn't.

It will be so sickening if the two points mons got from Harps is what puts them up.
    I see your point but I believe it actually will come down to the simple fact that we dropped 5 points against the two bottom teams, way more than the other contenders. I know everybody is going to drop a point or two here and there but to me its totally unacceptable to be dropping them against Wexford and Salthill (at home!!). Monaghan had no control over that points situation with Harps, it was based on technicalities...we had full control over the shambolic dropping of points against the bottom two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    One thing for sure is its going to go down to the last day.Bloody exciting i say!!
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Monaghan had no control over that points situation with Harps, it was based on technicalities...we had full control over the shambolic dropping of points against the bottom two.
    Monaghan had full control over the actual game against Harps, which they only drew and were very lucky to draw by all accounts.

Wexford have picked up 10 of their 11 points on the road this season, I've no doubt in my mind that Noel O'Connor will do us a favour Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by LK37oldskool View Post
    One thing for sure is its going to go down to the last day.Bloody exciting i say!!
    Unless we lose to Monaghan!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast